Masters Running

Sunday 13 December Runs, etc. (Read 384 times)

Carolyn - Sorry to hear DD didn't get into Stanford.  You coulda come out and visited me!  (We're a mere 6 hrs north of Stanford. )  But if she was going for Stanford in the first place, you must have yourself a pretty special young woman. 

Wow!  Some nice races today!  Way to go, gang!  Tramps - No ill effects this time 'round?  Yea!  You just need to always run in ice cold conditions.

JLynne - I do what Holly does.  Disinfect a needle and stick it under the nail.  The relief immediate.  Why is your toe rubbing on your shoe in the first place?  Shoes not fit right?

12 road miles this a.m. in 2:06.  This included having to pull over for numerous vehicles on the little country road I run on, as well as walking to eat a Mojo Clif bar, shot bloks, and drinking - all of which I find hard to do on the run.

Afterward, I went for a massage . . . . .   Ho-ly crap!  That was THE roughest massage I have ever had.  Good lord!  I'm not sure I feel better or beat up.  Really nice lady.  A former client at my "old" job, but good grief!  Not so sure I'll be going back to her anytime soon, and I guarantee I'm gonna be sore tomorrow.

Coach came by and put up the anchor for my TRX.  Yee haw!  I'm ready for it to seriously kick my butt come Tuesday.

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Mariposai

Ribs, I am so delighted to read that you did go ahead and ran this race. Running slow is an art for you fast ones, but what a reward it brings. Your time is good considering the tight calf. What are you going to do about it now? rest, I hope...you get a butterfly hug for resting ya know.

Speaking for resting, twocat landed in a dream place to spend his holiday season. Have fun exploring Sydney...and don't forget there is one great performing art place called " the Opera House there". Please give a hug to Mrs. twocat for me. Enjoy your adventure and come back to tell us all about it.

Tramps, great race for you. How nice that you were able to meet up with runningindc. I love pizza pre-during-post run. I just love pizza all the time.

henrun, congrats on your great race today and enjoy your dinner tonight. A running cruise....hummmm now THAT is an IDEA worth exploring...don't you think

now... i just love that tselb, specially when I make it on his list...Smile Have fun with your mama. How old is she?

Now my Hanukkah dinner was a great success. We are not jews, but I always try to do my best to celebrate the major holidays from around the world. This was important to me as our boys were young and I needed to bring culture and the world to them in this rural community where we live. Anyway, the herb latke was so tasty, I served it with applesauce and a cranberry chutney. Potroast, broiled green beans and the traditional veg. for the roast were part of the menu.

After dinner we played dreidel, which I have fun playing once a year and I am pretty darn good at it. I lost by one point when my dreidel landed on

נ (Nun),  and our friend's landed on ג (Gimel)

4 recovery miles for me in 26F, wow...what a difference one day can make. I wish I had taken the time to run my LR today and not yesterday. I was tempted to run another LR just to celebrate the International LR day...thanks towcat for bringing it up yesterday...but I was much too lazy to run another LR.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

evanflein

Somehow, I think the world would be a better place if we all lived more like Mariposai. That's pretty cool to celebrate the holidays of other cultures. What will you be doing for Kwanzaa?

Leslie, I know some people who love those kinds of massages. I never could get into it, myself. Even the deep tissue massage stuff can get a little too brutal for my liking. 

I am happy to report what feels like a successful run! And more miles than degrees, too! 5 miles, 8:45 average pace, and -12F under clear sunny skies. Well, the sun was low in the sky, but that's the best we get these days. No foot pain, and I kept waiting for it. I did have to stop a couple times on the way back up the hill to catch my breath; I feel so out of shape!! Now the key is to not do something stupid... So I'll plan on pool running tomorrow after work.

Tramps,

Nice half! I know you really like the cool temps but I hate them. The rain would have had me really chilled. Brrr.

Ribs,

Tough race for you but not a bad result concidering. Hope you let that calf heal and tear up the next one.

Stanford,

is missing out on a great recruit. I am sure she will land at a wonderful and equally appropriate University.

3 recovery paced miles for me and since it was freezing rain here also, I wimped out and went to the gym.

Erika,

Hang in there . You have plenty of time before Boston. Nice Moose by the way but why are they in the yard. Looking for love or looking for food ?

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

evanflein

Larry they nibble on our trees and dig through the compost heap looking for garden scraps. Unfortunately, I saw today that mama also chewed up my two prettiest crabapple trees! Bad moosey.
            dg.

Hallar, me too.  I was so glad I did my LR yesterday!  

Erika, well, just yippee.  Smile.    and.  I think we need a stoopid lightning rod.  I was going to offer to channel it for you, but am (shhhh...) doing a little better myself & want it to last at least a week or 2.

Carolyn, I'm so sorry ...   for both of you.  It's tough to watch them go through that kind of thing.  Well, this might sound kind of weird but if you think she'd like to hear it, you can let DD know that fwiw, we all think very highly of her!    It's no Stanford, I know. 

It's so early but I'm so tired!!   so just a couple of more things.  I haven't even read through the whole thread. 

Tramps, congrats!

Lou, it's nice to have you posting.  and to see you have a hr with some substance to it for once. ;-)

Ribs, congrats, & hugs.  It's wonderful seeing you post.   I think (I know, consider the source) that you did a wonderful job.   For some reason, I get a real kick out of imaging you going nuts.  Wink.       next time you end up in this area, I want to hear that speech.     have you had your calf checked out? 

did something new for me though I know most of you do it all the time.. active instead of passive recovery after a LR. (13 yesterday)  .. no big deal, just a short recovery run.  2.3 miles on the gym track, then 20 min. on the bike, leg presses, upper body weights, & stab. ball reverse crunches, side planks & russian twists.     I didn't keep the hr quite at recovery pace, & did do one short strider just because I felt so good!   though my legs didn't feel too strong while I was doing it.   The neat thing, was that when I started out & really through the whole thing, nothing hurt!    Really, nothing.  I haven't had much experience with that.  It is seriously cool.  

g'nite everybody.   hope you all had a great weekend. 

G'nite! Not yet dg....feel like I have been waiting to exhale all day!

Way to go Tramps! awesome running and racing. 

Henrun and Marj! Rocking and funny indeed about the clothing choices. I giggled lots during the Disney marathon years ago---felt tropical to me at 40º and people were dressed for the tundra.

Lou! Holly! Long running aces....great stuff.

Leslie---can't remember if I said way to go on your race last week---Way to go!

Nice start Walt and good running.

I started off the day at the kiddo's 7:30 am hockey game (up at 5 am for that)---7º but no wind...thank goodness. Jumped into a Festival of Lights 5 mile race at the Springfield JCC----1/8 in the 40-49 age group and 3rd woman---14th overall-----ran a 34:04 for 6:49 pace---went out in a 6:17---whoops---just wanted to get warm. Two shirts, hat, tights, and mittens---all good. Ran the course again as a cd with Dr. B and Dr. J

The kiddo had another hockey game this afternoon and there was lots of other stuff in there too----12 miles on the day for me.

Ribs! Proud of you for taking it out steady and what a negative split----worrying about your calf though----it's clear you have the speed---heal up now!

More to do-----NYC tomorrow and then off to Ohio on Tuesday afternoon. 

Whoosh!

dg.

oh poor Karin.. I know that feeling!       wtg on your first in AG!!! & 3rd woman overall.  wow.  

thought I'd share this in case anybody will be up... http://www.universetoday.com/2009/11/25/tips-for-viewing-the-geminid-meteor-shower/

ok, this time I mean it.

Mariposai

. Jumped into a Festival of Lights 5 mile race at the Springfield JCC----1/8 in the 40-49 age group and 3rd woman---14th overall-----ran a 34:04 for 6:49 pace---went out in a 6:17---whoops---just wanted to get warm. Two shirts, hat, tights, and mittens---all good. Ran the course again as a cd with Dr. B and Dr.

my Deena Kastor in real life....and yet so humble and so free to be herself...

and this is why I love this girl. She is my Deena Kastor in real life, but  yet she is no humble.

I am so proud of you sistahhh.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Aw Maraposai! 

You set the best example of how to embrace life and run awesome miles while doing it. Next time we run the same race, I am saving more time beforehand so we can chat and catch up---it was all too fleeting in NYC.

Kwanzaa at my house as of December 26---come on over!

Mariposai

Aw Maraposai! 

Kwanzaa at my house as of December 26---come on over!

yeah...NYC was too fleeting...but we wanted fleet feet right?

Kwanzaa with you would be so much fun....count in.

you know I left  my  heart in NYC...so I have to get back there someday to get it back...someday we will have the chance to catch up... someday...wanna race Newport, OR.... just for the heck of it...it is  in June? and it would be just Fantastic is you could join us, the humble... PNW racers!!!!