Masters Running

40s 50s 60s+ On the Run - w/e 03/10 (Read 25 times)

“What is important in life is life, and not the result of life.” (Johann Wolfgang von Goethe)

A day late, but welcome to a new week.

I would've loved to have been at some of those music festivals, Evryday.

Yesterday went for a 1.5 hour massage. Oh my!!  I also told her to really dig into my legs.  . . . oh my . . . Shocked.  Wish I could afford to go to this masseuse more often because my legs really need the TLC once in awhile, but it's at a health club and the non-member price for a 1-hr deep tissue massage is $80.  That I just can't do.

Rest day today, which is good 'cause the legs are sore from yesterday's torture session. Black eye

Well, now that it's official, I can tell you all.  I'm losing my running buddy, Karen. Sad She put in her notice at work today and is moving to Portland, OR, in three weeks to be closer to family.  I am so happy for her, because this is what she's wanted for a long time, but at the same time I am so very sad because I am losing one of my dearest friends and the only person I have to run with.  We've been running and training together for almost 7 years.  We'll see each other once in awhile at races, but other than that, probably not so much.  Portland is an 8-hour drive from here, so it's not like either of us can drop in for a weekend visit.  March 25 she leaves.  I'm just sad. Cry

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Leslie - we BOTH started the weekly thread, but I'll jump in here! I'm thinking if you save your pennies from not getting massages you can have some gas money to drive up to Portland. There are supposed to be some amazing running trails up there!

Still a little tired from Saturday's race, but heading out now to see what the legs have got.

Ex runner

Leslie - we BOTH started the weekly thread,

Whoops!  Sorry 'bout that.  Didn't scroll down far enough. Blush

Forest Park in Portland is a beautiful place to run.  Let me see - 16 hrs of driving (round trip) vs. a massage.  Hmmmm . . . .

Leslie
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

5 sort of EZ miles this a.m.  A steady, cold rain for all but the final .50 miles and 2 interactions with the same skunk made for some quicker miles than scheduled.

The Hub leaves tomorrow for 4 days to attend the memorial service of a high school buddy.  Four days . . . by  myself . . . just me and the cats . . . *sigh* I can't wait.  Love him to death, but I haven't had time to myself in the house in quite awhile.

Leslie
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Leslie- enjoy your you time! So, you got in a little skunk-lek run,sounds exciting.

Easy 9 on hilly terrain in IRC made for a fine run today. There was supposed to be rain but it never came, hope it all deposited itself in the mountains.

Ex runner

5 miles this a.m. with Miles 2 and 3 being tempo miles.  My tempo is slower than some of you folks' regular pace, but I was happy with it.  9:02 for Mile 2 and 8:53 for Mile 3, which had a nice downhill grade for a portion of it.

I've been debating about signing up for a 50k in April and have decided not to in order to concentrate on my mileage and training for Memorial Day Weekend and Mt. Hood.  Not the mention not spending the money on fees, travel, hotel, food.

I became a great auntie again today! Welcome to the world, Jax. I became a great auntie first when beautiful Emma came into our lives through adoption. Now she has a little brother.

My only issue - Great Auntie? Seriously, folks. I'm only 47! Isn't a person suppose to be at least in their 60s' before they become a "great" anything? Unless, of course, the word "great" is being used because I am such an incredibly AWESOME person. Yeah . . . that's what it is. Clowning around

Leslie
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

flatland mountaineer

I am having a little better run week this week. Yesterday was the first real day I felt kind of like a runner again as earlier in the week I was forced to do the run/walk thing just to get the miles in and I hardly ever do that. Now I just need a goal race for summer, kind of a big dilema right now as all the better close races are full and It is not looking good for both of us to get away at the same time with the farming situation looking like it is.

Arla gotta love those IRC runs. Did they ever figure out if any of the race finishers ahead of you actually ran the whole course or the whole course plus as in your case?

Leslie sorry you are losing your running partner and your friend will be so much farther away. Hope you can hook up with someone, sure adds a measure of safety on those long trail runs and company is nice also. Beware of skunks unafraid of Humans, recently had one test positive for rabies here. Enjoy your me time.

We will be farming soon, have some rain/snow in the forecast for the weekend but it always seems to dwindle by the time it gets here, but at least we are getting a little bit of precip. We are still in a D4 drought (worst class). Some of my wheat is trying to green up, some still brown, hope it is still there, will know in another week or so. Hopfully my drought talk doesn't come off as whining, just the way it is and I write about what we are dealing with at the time, good and bad.

Have a good weekend folks.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Hey there!  I'm once again hopelessly behind in keeping up with you all, but so glad to see you still at it!

Came out of Cowtown Marathon this yr. with a meltdown.  Hit the first half on pace at 2:08 and felt good, then had recurrence of knee (IT band) pain that threw my right side off to the point of walking it in for the last ten miles.  Came out with a small stess fracture in my foot (cuboid bone).  So...time to heal up and hit the re-set button.  Since it was my second marathon, it was the "OK, let's see if we can get better at this thing" attempt, and I feel like I trained really well.  Ran a few races prior (15K, HM, etc.), but they were all hold back and practice pacing for the marathon type runs.  Got sick for the first time this year the week before and wondered if I would even make the start.  Anway, questioning if the marathon distance just might not be for me.  Too many eggs in one basket, and then the basket cracked!  Lots of other distances in the sea, ya know? Smile.

Progress Trumps Pefection

Hi, Carol!!!!  So happy you stopped by!  Very sorry to hear about the marathon meltdown.  Hope your foot heals fast.  Are you still doing tri's?

Jim - Do you try to use as much of the ground moisture as possible and water only as necessary?  Just curious

My run this morning was fabulous!  My legs felt strong, kept a steady even pace - felt like I was floating on air . . . . . and then I woke up.

Leslie
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Getting ready to heady for my last LR with Karen.  10 miles on the McKay, then we'll head over to her house to spend the day packing up her things. Sad

Have a safe day, friends ~

Leslie
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Jim - hope you get a nice wallop of precip, we did ok here. My hat's off to you and to all farmers, what a roller-coaster ride you folks deal with.

Leslie - Hope you enjoyed your run today. I'd say get a dog as a running companion, but your cats would probably make any dog into mincemeat Shy

Carol sighting! Sorry to hear about your stress fracture! Black eye Do you supplement Vit. D? I remember when Deena Kastor kept getting stress fractures, then she found out she was low in D. Just a thought. Although I agree with you that halfs and shorter can be more satisfying to race than marathons. One little thing goes wrong during a marathon and your day is ruined.

Weather heading into the 70s this week, I'm working on my two-wheeled vehicles (gas and human-powered) and looking forward to having a little more fun on my commutes.

Ex runner

I'd love to see 70's here.  Nice!

Yeah, the cats wouldn't like a dog, at all.  Actually, if I could have a dog, I'd take Charlie.  Karen isn't going to be able to keep him and needs to find a home for him shortly after she moves.  He's a sweet dog, but needs someone who has plenty of time to spend with him.

Our 10 miles at the McKay went by so fast.  Too fast.  Then it was to her house where we spent about 5 hours packing up her kitchen, then dinner.  It was a fun, but sad, but good day. Undecided

Leslie
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Rest day today.  Sort of rest day.  I need to get some transcription done.  It's a beautiful sunny day, which makes going back into Le Typing Cave tough.

Leslie
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

The day goes by quickly when you start an hour behind.  And leslie's talking to herself again.

Sorry to hear you're losing your RP.  you guys have done a LOT of miles together.

Jim--pretty sure you don't have a whining bone in your body. Hope there's some moisture in the latest storm I see out west

Carol--sorry to hear about the marathon malfunctions--hope you heal well.

12.6 miles for me this morning.  4 laps around the lake due to fear of black ice in less travelled locations.  Pretty sure this was the longest training run that I've ever done.  Never made it over except during the actual halfs.  Next week I hope to hit longest ever.  I also had 5.5 yesterday, so an 18 mile weekend.  AND I'm keeping pace with the 1000mile pace bunny!  I'm so excited!!

Happy week to everyone.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Wow, stumpy, your mileage is coming along really well!  Nice weekend in the bank for you.

Arla, enjoy those 70's!  We're freezing again in north Texas, but this too will change. Have fun on the two wheeled vechicles!  Thanks for the good word on the vitamin D.  I actually tested low for it a few years ago, supplemented for a little while, and then failed to follow up on it again, as did my current endoc, who I was sort of forced over to see as the practice was divided (long story).  Seeing a new endocrinologist next week, and will bring it up with him.

Leslie, so sorry you are losing your running partner.  I can see how particularly with trail running, it would be great to have the companionship, as well as the safety in numbers.  Be careful out there by yourself!

Jim, sounds like you are doing your best, as always, to fit the running in around the farming.  My hat is off to you on that balancing act!

Joe, Cindy, hope all is well with you kids.

Made it back to the pool after a long absence on Friday, and now this week, the pools I use are closed for spring break Sad  Ramping up the biking with a mix of trainer and outdoor rides.  Proposed launching a bike group/series of rides from our new church bldg, and my pastor jumped all over it, so we are set for our first ride on 3/23.  Our new bldg is located right across the street from a park path that leads either to more miles of park path, or to a popular (relatively safe) place to do some road riding.  It is for anyone in the community who would like to ride, so I'm hoping our church will become a "cyclist hangout" over time Smile

Progress Trumps Pefection