Masters Running

3.6.13 Hump Day Daily (Read 43 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

The therapist asked a couple of days ago if I could change to different racewalking shoes to perhaps help solve my hip problem. That started me thinking - which is always dangerous! Last night I realized that I had put my last pair of orthotics (which I hadn't been wearing for close to a year) in these shoes, just to make the shoes fit better (long story...). This morning, I replaced the orthotics with standard inserts, just to see what would happen. I went about 5.5 racewalking miles at 4:15 - 36F, light drizzle, and a serious wind from the NE (even though one weather website said the wind was coming from the opposite direction - what's with that??). The first couple of miles were into the wind, and it was hard work. The needles of rain didn't help, making it difficult to keep my eyes open enough to stay on the road. At the coast, with nothing to buffer the wind that was coming from across the water, it was really roaring, and was pushing some of the incoming waves up and over the rocks at the edge of the road. When I finally turned so the wind was at my back, I felt like I could take a stride and float about 20-30 feet down the road (OK, a little exaggeration..). I sure had nice splits for that portion of the workout! A couple of times on the way back, the wind hit from the side and I had to take an extra step to keep my balance - strong stuff! So, how'd the insert experiment go? Well, so far, so good: I felt fatigued, with only some slight pain afterwards. So those orthtics are likely going in the trash tonight.

Have a greta Wednesday!  Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Easy 4.5 miles this morning, very excited about having a goal race. Still have 4.5 months to go, base building continues...My Ragnar relay is a week after the marathon...

Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip

Good morning all - I was going to do 10 yesterday afternoon but got a late start so I ended up cutting it a little short and did an nice easy 8.65 miles - 1:17:30 (8:58).

Not sure if the weather is going to hold for us to do our planned 14 miler this afternoon or not.  Speaking of weather they keep flip flopping on our forecast and exactly how badly we are going to get dumped on.

Have a great day everyone.

...Good News jay//////

=======

snow day here,,,,,,,,,,,,,streets are sorta clear

30min Revenge Poolrun

since I got

Thundered Out yesterday

...............good running

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Guess it's already afternoon on the east coast.

5 miles in the misty start of a nor'easter.  Probably should have been 6+, but the bed felt too comfortable for too long.

Looking forward to a highly entertaining afternoon/evening.  I wasn't paying close enough attention to the weather and booked a flight to Philly at 5:30 tonight for a morning site visit to a plant in NJ.  It takes very little weather of any sort to mess things up there, so I hope I make it into NJ by morning.  Eight ball

Gordon--I agree on having a goal race.  It's so much easier to focus that way.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Dave59

...recap..  I had a year full of pr's in 2011, but part way into 2012 I started having stomach issues, and on and off chest tightness.  Doctor tried treating gastritis but when it happened again they had me do an endoscopy which was fine.  I just sort of went with the way things were until a couple weeks ago I said, "I like to run.  I would like to do some half marathons or even a marathon again but I don't know what is wrong with me."  That got the ball rolling.  A resting ekg was normal.  I spent 4 hours at the hospital yesterday for a stress test.  I just got a call that it was "negative".

So whatever is wrong is officially now all in my head.  I could have saved a lot of time and money of I just listened to my wife on that one.  Roll eyes  I was referred to a doctor that works with athletes of any level which fortunately includes wannabees like me.  I see him tomorrow morning.  Follow up on the results of the stress test and go from there.  I still feel something (I call it tightness), especially when I take a deep breath.  Maybe the new guy can help me.

With heart problems ruled out I think I can at least keep running even if I feel funny.  I'll know it's very unlikely that I am going to drop over with a heart attack.  I have a real phobia about falling over dead.  Since it is inevitable at some point, I really need to get over that fear.  Stick with easier fears like getting pickle juice on my french fries.

I did run 2.55 miles today.

C-R

Good to hear Jay.

Tom I shudder to think how one gets revenge on a pool. Remember I have young boys and as DW says, I still have their sense of humor. Think Spalding from Caddyshack eh?

thats a lot of basebuilding time Lynde but that's the best way to go.

I hear ya stumpy. I'm due to fly into Boston Sunday for a trip to some hospitals in NH, VT and ME. Weather makes flying so much joy.

Good news Dave and you already knew you should do exactly what you wife says all the time? Seems to work in our house.

6 tired miles today. Not sure where my mojo is today but hopefully it will return tomorrow. perhaps it was the 6 inches of snow I shoveled.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Jay - Happy to hear the orthotics may have been the problem all along!  Keeping fingers crossed things continue to improve.

Gordon - I've always wanted to participate in a Ragner, but hasn't happened.  Good luck with the marathon training.

Maine - Take an average re the weather, then go do what you want to. Smile

TW - Pool revenge?? Shocked

Stumpy - Hope you get to your destination.

Dave - Yes, we all keel over at some point.  Let's just hope it happens while we're having the time of our lives!

C-R - Snow shoveling = cross training.  Right?

5 sort of EZ miles this a.m.  A steady, cold rain for all but the final .50 miles and 2 interactions with the same skunk made for some quicker miles than scheduled.  Thought about 2Kitty out there and knew that, in spirit, he was running with me in the rain. Joking

The Hub leaves tomorrow for 4 days to attend the memorial service of a high school buddy.  Four days . . . by  myself . . . just me and the cats . . . *sigh* I can't wait.  Love him to death, but I haven't had time to myself in the house in quite awhile.  I'm all a-flitter thinking about all the chick flicks I'll get to watch!

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

...fatozzig//.........no,

I didn't do a CaddyShack

(thanks for the Weird Visual CR)...........I just showed up at 5-AM

...ps..........NEVER show up at 5-AM..

C-R

...fatozzig//.........no,

I didn't do a CaddyShack

(thanks for the Weird Visual CR)...........I just showed up at 5-AM

Glad to spread my sense of humor to other parts of the universe. Just think of me as the Johnny Appleseed of warped imagery. Big grin

"Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

coastwalker there is now way I would be out in that weather!

This will be fast because I am on the road.  But I want to say this app to tether my phone to my laptop is the bomb!  The hotel wants $15/day for wi-fi.  With my app?  Zero, nada, zip!  Yippee!  Now about running.  I am sure glad I swapped my 14 and 11 mile runs this week.  The original was 11 on Tuesday and 14 on Thursday.  But tomorrow is supposed to be miserable.  About 5" of snow may yet fall according to the forecast.  Sad  Just what we need.  So while I will be stuck on the TM at least it will be for 11 and not 14 miles.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

C-R

What's the app TC?

King of PhotoShop

That's encouraging Jay!

Flew into Pittsburgh yesterday afernoon. Got up this morning and ran around my hotel block a few times, then went to client site and gave a two-hour presentation on negotiation skills to a commercial real estate group, then got a 1:30 flight home.  So here I am.  It never works this way, believe me!  Spareribs

Tramps

No run today.  Snowy mess here.  Not nice snow.  More like 6 inches of slushy puddles of ice water. Yuck.

Be safe. Be kind.