Masters Running

Monday (not canceled) Daily, 9.23.13 (Read 47 times)

wildchild

Carolyn

JLynne—ouch.  Hope you’re okay this morning.  You know, you don’t have to celebrate the start of Fall by actually falling.

Smile   I hope you feel okay today, Jeanne!

Holly, I'm glad the service for your mom went well.   How is your SD holding up?

Jay, your ocean descriptions are wonderful!  I'm not sure when I last saw an ocean...   on the visit to DIvechief's ferry in July, that was only Puget Sound, which probably doesn't count.  So I guess it was crossing the Strait of Gibraltar in January.

I had a really sproinky 5 mile trail run this afternoon!  The first run of the season in long pants, and the first  fine for a jacket tied  around my waist.  Roll eyes 45 degrees and WINDY!  There's new snow on the divide, but not here at my house.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Maniac 505

on the visit to DIvechief's ferry in July, that was only Puget Sound, which probably doesn't count.  So I guess it was crossing the Strait of Gibraltar in January.

Tourists call the sound the Ocean.  It is salt water but the ocean is about 100 miles away.

TammyinGP congratulations on finding a possible way to keep your back pain a bay.

Divechief I wonder if tourists on the north shore of Long Island and here in CT would think the Long Island Sound is the ocean.  Growing up here, I could never imagine that happening but then I am not in regular contact with tourists.

I ran the 30k race on Sunday.  Thanks to the weather map on the internet it seemed pretty clear that the weather would clear up in time and it did.  It then turned into a perfect race day.  Clear and sunny within a half hour of the start.  Alas, for me that ends the good news.  My race time set a new PW by quite a bit.  I have no excuses.  My last long run was nearly a month ago and that is that.  There is a HM around here in two weeks.  If it goes badly too then I will have to reassess whether to try and run a marathon the weekend of Veteran's day.  Score yet another point for not picking a marathon but rather a date in advance!

While I am at it any advice for me about how to get back into distance running shape sooner rather than later?  I know do long runs.  Okay, once a week I do one.  What else?  Tempo?  I would rather run a 10k or HM (which should get me into tempo pace for 10k or 13.1 miles).  Speed work?  That I can get myself to do.  Last I left off I was up to 5x800m.  I guess as a first pass I can try 6x600m intervals.  Or just skip them?  On the long runs do MP stretches for what 0, 3, 5 or more miles?

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

TammyinGP

I don't know the answers to those questions TwoKitty but just wanted to say that I like the 30K distance. We have one race here that is that distance - it runs the perimeter of a lake and is very scenic and almost all on trails.

Bella followed me around constantly when I got home. And she would keep "chirping" at me, incessantly. So, I went for a 2nd run today to shut her up Joking . another 2.8 gives me 7.5 for the day. and I only did 9.6 in all of last week, so I just about surpassed it. wow. and I call myself a runner?? Roll eyes

Tammy

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Twocat - I've run a 30k too in the one and only one I'd ever heard of and it got me through my first marathon in 1977. I think they are relics from AAU long distance running days mostly on the east coast in those days.   incidentally, you know we will be checking the weather out here for you in the First CallVeteran's DAy Marathon and 50K out here  I't Mariposia's 50K PR (i think).

Thanks for sharing Holly.

What did she think of your running?

In those days when we were little, if it was salty and connected to the open ocean, no matter what it was called, straight, sound, channel, we'd be swimming or fishing in the ocean as opposed to freshwater streams adn lakes. Still is.

ziggy - based on one gal's pacing crew rotating a new pacer in for every ten mile looop at the Pigtails 100 in May, don't hesitate to let someone else help out too instead of you having the all final 30 miles from 2:00 a.m. in the morning. Will you be able to sleep from 9 or 10pm until 1:30 a.m.?  Have you ever run 30 miles together? How will you know if Kate's on, behind, or ahead of schedule by mile 70?  By then, a lot of runners might not even want to be distrtacted by music, or anything non-running and might more need constant contact about their running to stay on course and vizualizing finishing?  Do you run ahead, behind, or next to Kate?  I think talking about things she doesn't have to think about to talk about would seem to allow her to focus all her mental faculties on running and getting to the finish.  I guess everyone's different. .  Have lots of fun,

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Dave59

In those days when we were little, if it was salty and connected to the open ocean, no matter what it was called, straight, sound, channel, we'd be swimming or fishing in the ocean as opposed to freshwater streams and lakes. Still is.

+1