Masters Running

A2A Marathon RR (Read 495 times)

Beautiful!
    Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
      Ribs, you continue to be an inspiration to all of us. To be running a marathon this soon after major heart surgery is truly remarkable. Congratulations on a job well done.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

that's just great just when sparebones' heart transplant produces a reverse marathon PR the same as my fast marathons used to be, I become too slow to run that fast anymore.  Not that anyone would think he needs one or anything like that but I wonder how many hours a brain transplant would slow him down?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

lamerunner

Spareribs, what a wonderful report! Congratulations on getting back in the saddle, now that you are bionic and all.  Your ability to be cheerful and sing at mile 24 is amazing!  The public generally is better off if I don't sing ever, but at mile 24 it would be unthinkable, esp if I was hurting or slowing down. I would be too cranky. 

Maybe the beer helps. Worth a try .  I remember my HS coach, who regularly ran Boston, saying once he was offered gin late in the race .by a spectator  One year he had cramped up so badly and was having such a bad time he decided it would not hurt. As I remember, it helped, if briefly.

Not that anyone would think he needs one or anything like that but I wonder how many hours a brain transplant would slow him down?

http://www.backprint.com/view_user_event.asp?PID=bp%18yG&EVENTID=64591&BIB=65&S=230&PWD=

I don't know which one of you two is funnier (actually, more hysterical would be more like it)..."Too hot to handle?" That's fantastic.

Ribs, congratulations on finally wresting from Tet a complete sentence. Oh, and on finishing the marathon.

Walt

SteveP

You've made a heck of a come back!!! I'd do my best to keep the Sait around if I were you.

SteveP

Marathon Maniac #957

This is of course, so much more than a story about a man running a marathon.  This is about a man reclaiming his life after a major medical event.  After having heart surgery, it would be easy to become crippled by fear – afraid of any activity that might stress the heart – and so become more sedentary, making timid life choices.  You, on the other hand, not only faced the surgery itself with courage and wit, afterward sharing your experience in an effort to help others, but then began methodically and persistently working your way back to the running you love.  The achievement of finishing a marathon after such a medical event, regardless of pace, is to me an incredible example of courage and perseverance.  “Great job!” just doesn’t seem to be enough.  But you know what I mean.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Holly, what a priceless post.

Spareribs, what Holly said!

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

wildchild

Carolyn

Ribs, congratulations on finally wresting from Tet a complete sentence. Oh, and on finishing the marathon.

Walt

Sorry I'm late to the celebration of your comeback marathon - I've been out on spring break.  DId I see somewhere you won 2nd in AG?  What was the prize?  So now you're a podium finisher.   Congrats!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

I was so excited at that point to know I would finish that I told the Saint I hoped that last mile would never end.  

I have never, ever, had this thought during a marathon.  Smile

Seriously, great comeback, 'ribs.  So glad to see you back in the saddle.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

I vote this the best RR so far in 2010

What a great report, and what a wonderfully, fantastically contagious attitude you have had throughout your entire medical ordeal and your comeback.  Thank you for sharing everything with us.

Beer . . . think margaritas would have the same affect?  On the rocks, though, since it'd be hard to carry around a blender.

Leslie
                          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

dg.

So, I read through this again, wondering what I can add.  I was caught again by Holly's post....  that pretty much sums it up. 

Ribs I'm so proud of you!!!!  You know that we all are.  What an incredible effort, the entire process as well as the marathon itself.  Eek, I do understand 'barely putting one foot in front of the other'.   And you never walked?  Wow.

Your report is a delight..   the enthusiastic support  (so glad you had a cheering contingent at the end!), beer, show tunes!  I forget...was that after the beer?  ;-)

The pictures are priceless, especially the look on your face nearing & then just after the finish.   .... You even had the chip color coordinated with your sun rays.  -). 

Can't wait to see how the next one goes.     What's the training plan?

Take care of yourself now!