Masters Running

40s 50s 60s+ On the Run - November 2013 (Read 15 times)

Howdy Do -

I see we got a visit from Ev!  Woo hoo!  You've been missed.

I've been around, but haven't felt like getting on the computer when I get home at night.

Arla - Re the tendinitis, I stretch the calves really good after every workout, including strength training, I need to start massaging them again, and I don't wear any shoes that don't have some kind of a lift in the heel.  The new boots I got actually sort of drop down in the heel, so I need to buy some generic lifts for those.  I wore them for 4 hours when I first got them, and they messed me up a bit.  I can definitely tell I haven't been massaging the calves because my IT band is sort of acting up again.  When I kept things good and loose and massaged, I had zero issues there.

Well, I need to get back to work since I'm leaving at 4:00 today.  Have a good weekend, all ~

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Arla - Trail Runner Nation podcast interviewed Warren Pole, who talked about the AT issues he's been having over the last year.  Very interesting.  He had two separate issues - a different one for each AT.  One sounded like what I was dealing with, the other had to do with the sheath over the AT.  If you ever listen to podcasts, you might at least check out what he has to say.  I think it was probably about halfway through . . . although I really enjoyed the whole interview.

10 miles today at Headwaters with almost 1700 feet of elevation gain, the most I've done since my debacle at Weaver Basin.  And I must say, it was a really great 10 miles that I thoroughly enjoyed.  Also Trail Runner Nation podcast, they were talking about cadence - keeping it around 180/minute.  I worked on that after I came down off the climb, and it definitely made a difference.  No overstriding as it forces you to keep your feet under you.  I was able to climbing much more efficiently, so guess what I'll be working on for awhile?  I need to see if I can download a metronome through iTunes.

Afterward, Shorty and I went and pulled weeds at the church for a couple of hours, and now I need to eat something.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend ~

Leslie
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Today was an hour strength/core training with lots of attention on the legs.  I SO want to have a good year this coming season.  Am hoping to complete two 50-milers on my own - Mt. Hood in July and still looking for one in Sept, but may have to move it to October and run the Dick Collins Firetrails here in the Bay Area.  We'll see.

Also looks like my buddies, Kate and Karen, and I will be putting together our own Memorial Day Weekend 70-mile run up in OR instead of heading to Auburn and the Western States weekend.  Will start that Saturday with a 50k race, then spend the next two days running in the Gorge.  I need to find my small camera!

Okay - outta here ~

Leslie
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

flatland mountaineer

Still frequent but short runs. Went to the hills over the weekend. Spent Sunday helping my friend Igloo Ed cleaning up his place from the Colorado flooding of September. I had seen the pictures but to see it even now the damage was beyond any scope of my imagination.  Went hiking in the backcountry of Rocky Mtn National Park Monday with Ed to give him a welcome break. Took Ed's route up and broke trail in .5 to 3 foot of snow up to 10k feet. We came down the official park trail which was packed snow and ice, glad I found my microspikes. Still fighting a cranky left SI, made for a long trip home, couldn't get comfortable, truly a pain in the arse!

Have a great week my friends.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

After 2 fantastic runs (Sat/Tues) and two good ST/core workouts (Mon/Wed), a bad outing was in the cards.  Started off really good this morning - had 6 on the docket with sprints at the end.  Got about .5 miles away from the house and the rumblings started.  Got to Winco - nope, bathrooms closed.  The clerk who was sitting at the end of the counters just looked at me as I walked in and headed that direction.  Not a peep that the bathrooms were closed.  Okay.  Now what to do.  Sanity told me to turn around and go home, but stupidity took over as the Shell gas station was only about .25 away.  Made it to the station, asked very politely if I could use the bathroom, and the lady looked at me like I was some kind kretin, then begrudgingly let me into the bathroom -  just in time.  Shocked

Afterward, once again, sanity took a backseat to stupidity and I continued on my run.  A little over a mile later - Shocked.  I had to make a mad dash into some bushes at the front of someone's house.  Ugh!  Suffice to say, the throw-away gloves were thrown away.  I almost called Shorty to come get me, but a system check seemed to indicate things were running on empty.  I made it back home, and did my ten 10-sec sprints, without further incident.

Moral of the Story:  If you're not used to eating curry, don't go for a predawn run the next morning. Black eye  . . . .  Actually, if you take away the whole soiling of the residential landscape incident, the run went really well!

This afternoon, I threw all caution to the wind and ate the same things as leftovers for lunch.  It was so good!!  No running tomorrow, just ST/core, so if there is an incident, I'll be close to home. Big grin

Leslie
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

For some reason, I thought of Jim when I saw this.  Probably had it forwarded to you several dozen times already, but just in case............

http://www.upworthy.com/the-most-hilarious-parody-video-ive-seen-yet-what-does-the-farmer-say?g=3

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

flatland mountaineer

Thanks Stumpy, Derek has some good ones, he is a natural ham and often features

his tooo cute kids along with his semi warped humor. The Peterson boys have some good ones too http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48H7zOQrX3U&list=PLpniJUeAKfuruV1xHL-vNfcIb2e_ESkEu

Note to self avoid Curry at all costs, thanks Leslie.

Not much new here, really fighting the SI still, doesn't seem to make much difference whether I run on it or not.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Cute video. Smile

Tuesday had a good strength/core training session.  Yesterday, 10 miles on freaking pavement, which meant I had to get up at 3:30 to ensure I was done in time to get to work.  (Hey!  I'm slow!)  I haven't run that far on pavement in a very long time, and my legs started petering out around Mile 6/7 and were bummed the rest of the day.

Very long night at Bonkos last night.  Didn't get to bed until almost 11:00, which is REALLY late for me.  For some reason, everyone's bladders seemed to be extra small. Evil  I did, however, come in 2nd and won $40.  I believe I have won money - either 1st ($60) or 2nd ($40) the last 4 or 5 times we've played.  Approve

Needless to say, with the late night, I did not get up this morning.  Fed the herd at 4:00-ish, then promptly passed back out.

One more day of work, then we're off to Yuma, AZ, for a week.  This evening after work,I  tutored the new house sitter in the ways of the crazy cat-controlled Ames household.  She didn't run away screaming and took my novel of instructions with her to peruse before we left, so I think that's a good sign.

Okay - Off to hit the shower and then hay.  Love y'all ~

Leslie
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

flatland mountaineer

6 today, longest in a while, awesome weather but looks like frigid cold by midweek. I need another week of good weather to get harvest equip cleaned up  and fall projects finished but oh well guess it will be there when it warms up.

Leslie hope Yuma was good.

Where is everyone or evryone??????