Sprint Distance 600 yd Swim, 15 mi Bike, 3.1 mi Run

Finish Time 1:27:43 148/550 OA

22/43 M4044 AG

Swim 16:06 placement 391/550

T2 2:53

Bike 43:49 placement 76/550

T3 ????

*Run ???? Est 23:00 placement 76/550

*Timing Matt did not pick me up leaving T2 so my run time is based on my own stop watch.

Short and Simple.

My Swim SUCKED ! I went out way to hard. Breathless in 75 yds and struggled for the remaining 525 yds. I spent as much time looking at the sky lying on my back as I did looking down into the murky water trying to find my rhythm. I should have completed this in 12:00 mins or less putting me firmly in the top 100 OA.

I rocked the bike…..considering the lack of saddle time I’ve gotten in this year I was very pleased with my bike split. I was never passed and put many many people behind me.

Solid run. Just like the bike, I started to put people behind me starting just yards out of the transition. I wanted to repeat what I did on the bike and not let anyone pass. This is exactly where fartleks come in handy……a little pick up/pass/and settle back into your rhythm.

Pass them solidly enough that you intimidate them from even thinking about trying to match you. Once you got 25 to 50 yds on them settle back into your zone.

Good race…..I needed the swim to make it a great race…..

Sweet SLO (though you aren't - "slow" that is).

A very good effort on the bike and the feet.  Passing people is FUN!

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Marathon Maniac #957

Kind of like golf, you know?  You get one thing down great and mess something else up...

Even with the swim as not your best day, still a fine race - great job!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

wildchild

Carolyn

Great job, Slo!  I guess if the swim is your weakest part, it's nice to get it out of the way first, so you can pass folks on the bike and run.   I imagine passing people is fun, though I wouldn't really know from firsthand experience...

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Marathon Maniac #3309

Slo, sorry I am late to responding. I have paid very close attention to you and your workouts....I get it. Down deep buddy, what happened on the swim, as you are a kick ass swimmer....you would thump me bad. Do you do bi-lateral breathing when you swim...which I think you do. I know I am a every stroke kinda breather on my right side, but I don't have the skills you do swimming. I did pay attention to all your drills and very disciplined swim workouts, and was very very surprised by your swim time...yes you my Fren are better than that. But, I was very happy and impressed how you brought your cycling and running all together. Yes Buddy, it is sooo much fun to pass people, and NOT to be passed. Greta job on a very hard race that many don't understand or can comprehend....as I really do. You rock and I look forward to your next race....keep up the great work. I hope we can meet up sometime and you can whup my ass swimming....cycling a draw...then elbow to elbow on the run. Gotta love it when someone puts themselves out there to achieve great things. Thanks for the RR, and your effort. TimBo PS: swim more Tim...or I am toast....

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

great job Slo!!  i can tell how tri's could become addicting!!

denise

Way to go SLO.  Keep up the good work.

TomS

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Slo--I would dearly love to put a 23:00 5K on my resume.  Can't imagine doing it AFTER swimming and 15 miles on the bike.  WTG!!  those Tri's do sound like they could become addicting.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.