Masters Running

Cotton Row 10K (Read 223 times)

Cotton Row 10K 2008 Huntsville, AL This is my 7th year to run in the Cotton Row. It is a Memorial Day tradition for me. Weather is usually hot and humid and today was no exception. I haven’t trained well so am dubious about my performance. Undecided Drove down to Huntsville from Fayetteville, TN w/ my friend Erin who only lacks 5 marathons to have finished her goal of completing a marathon in every state! She is amazing. We are in the same AG. Thankfully, this is my last year in this AG so I am already looking forward to next year! The Huntsville Track Club has banned all ipods, etc. so I have made Erin promise to entertain me for the 6.2 miles. Clowning around We stood together for the start, and that’s the last I saw of her! I just assumed I had blown away from her and was on my own. Big grin The first 2 miles were packed w/ no passing room so it was tough to get a good pace going. At 3 miles you come to the 80 degree incline mountain steep hill that took what little breath I had left away. Actually, I always sort of look forward to the WALL as it is an excuse to walk. Finished the mountain and it’s basically downhill for the next 2 miles. Woo hoo! I am able to pick up my pace and try to recover what I lost while walking…At mile 6 I am just barely over an hour and try not to throw up as I chug to the finish for a time of 1:02:24. Almost a minute better than last year, and gave me 4th in my AG. No medal for that but my friend got 3rd so she was thrilled w/ her mercedes medallion. When did she pass me? I haven't a clue but just proud to have made another Cotton Row. Have a wonderful Memorial Day everyone! Helen
    evanflein

Love these races that some of us do faithfully every year. Good job on 4th in AG, medal or not!

King of PhotoShop

Helen, it sounds like you are improving every year. 4th this time? I would leave my friend at home next year! Glad you had fun and nice finish too! Spareribs
          Great job on the 4th AG placement, AND on getting faster each year! Next year, new AG, maybe move up in the standings???

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Not that time matters...but a minute better than last year!! Nice job!
            Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
            huskydon

Great job! A minute faster than last year is always a plus. Next year, in the new AG, you will get that medal for sure. Sounds like a wonderful Memorial Day tradition to me! huskydon
                That is fun. I would try to check on how your friend passed you. Did she grab a taxi? In any regard, this is fun to have a race that you do return to. Congratulations on time improvement. That is simply fantastic. Congratulations on this 4th in AG. Thanks for the report. Joey
                Vista

Marathon Maniac #957

Congratulations, Helen - nice racing! Funny that you didn't see your friend pass, but races can be like that - your focus is on your running and not so much on your surroundings. Smile

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Nice running Helen and congratulations. I have been wondering how your running is coming and here you are with a good race to report. Good job on a 7th consecutive Cotton Row! CNYrunner/Karin
                      Nice job ! Its nice to race some of the same races every year its a better gauge of where you are at. Comparing apples to apples. Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Way to go, fussy. A minute improvement over last year and 4th in AG. Congratulations. TomS
                          Nice run, Helen Just stay in good shape this year, but don't push too hard. Then next year you can let it all hang out as you move into a great new age group and start accumulating hardware. Wink
                          Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33