Masters Running

2016 Portland, OR Marathon RA family meet up (Read 67 times)

Arriving - We'll take off in the wee hours of Friday morning and drive up.  It's an 8-hr drive for us, so who knows when we'll get there.

Since we'll be leaving Portland in the wee hours Monday morning to continue on our vacation, we'll be bringing an ice chest with us.  Do you want Shorty and me to do some food shopping on the way up?  There's a Costco in Eugene, OR, which we have to drive right past.  If so, let's start a list of what food you want, we can buy it, and then split the bill up when we're all together.

The only thing I don't really feel comfortable buying is beer or wine.  Which brings me to this point:  Do NOT feel uncomfortable drinking either in front of Shorty.  He absolutely does NOT have a problem with that and would actually be offended if you wanted a beer or something and didn't drink it.  He does not expect people to change their ways just because he's around.  Okay?? Okay!

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Mike E

MM #5615

Okay.  I already like Shorty.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Okay.  I already like Shorty.

Well, we know he has good taste in wimmen.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

I will be arriving around 2 or 3 pm Saturday via Amtrak and leaving at 2:50 pm on Sunday.  So I won't around much but would like to have dinner with you guys!  We will probably have to have lunch with MBE's sister.   Then catching the Amtrak back to Seattle.

By the way, the course goes right by her condo (same road) at mile 5.5 and again at about mile 11.5 (half mary course only that time).  I am hoping my cheerleaders will be out there for me, and for you guys too!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

bing dot com is featuring Multnomah Falls near Portland on their welcome page today.

During their Portland Marathon last October as one of their overseas marathons for 2015, I joined other members of the All-Japan 100-Marathon Joyful Running Club when their itinerary included a tour of a dozen or so of the waterfalls along the Columbia River Gorge just upstream from Portland.  At more than 600-feet Multnomah is the tallest but there are nine other ones within a mile of Multnomah.

See E.J. Peiker's beautiful nature photographs for many of them.

Multnomah Falls

I've heard of marathons and ultas that go in-and-out and around-and-about

many of the falls along the gorge.   I know where I'd be taking my rest stops, though.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Got room Saturday night? I may need a place to stay after all (that night only) and will be happy to contribute toward the cause.  Herr Wegetarian can't come up to Portland until Sunday.

Marathon Maniac #957

We will find room for you!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

New plans, I will be taking the train down Friday night.  So all day Saturday I am free!  And hope to spend some of that time at the party house!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Got room Saturday night? I may need a place to stay after all (that night only) and will be happy to contribute toward the cause.  Herr Wegetarian can't come up to Portland until Sunday.

Woo hoo! So glad you can make it after all. Looking forward to it. Enke, glad that you get to have a longer time in Portland too, better than the quick trip you had scheduled at first.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

Mariposai

I am soooooo looking forward to our get together in Portland.

My wings are ready to party.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

I am soooooo looking forward to our get together in Portland.

My wings are ready to party.

Yup!

Leslie
                        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Mariposai

Ok, my wings are always thinking about food and what I can feed others Smile

Time to talk about food:

Tell me when you are arriving and your food limitations. I would suggest that each racer take care of their race day breakfast need.

Then I will suggest some ideas (this includes Shorty and Leslie's help)

Econo, will your mama join us for one of the meals? It will be great to see her.

Ex. of what I need:

Posai and Easy Pacer: Friday night, Saturday, Sunday and Monday morning.

Food limitations: none.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Thanks for starting to get this figured out for us Mariposai!

Starr: Friday night (I may eat with my friend, Ginnie, before coming to the house), Saturday, Sunday and Monday morning.

Food limitations: none.

I am trying to figure out what I can pack in my suitcase other than granola bars.  Ginnie could probably take me to the grocery store in Portland before she drops me off at the house.  I'd sure like it if she came in to meet y'all.  She is one of the most educated people I know, a retired librarian. She was head of Portland library years ago, then Brooklyn, NY before becoming Chief Librarian in Washington D.C.

I will help cook and clean up, I'm just no good at planning menus for a crowd like this, Thanks again, Nancy!

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

Hi all -- it will just be me (no Mama Econo and no Herr Wegetarian) on Saturday night.  Posalina, tell me what I might bring to make your life easier.

We still need the address of the rental, so we can drop by.

Holly, can you send that via the fb page?  Or post here?

Looking forward to seeing old friends and meeting new ones!