Masters Running

Saturday March 12 Runs and Stuff (Read 34 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Howdy folks!

DH and I and several of our friends headed up to Geneva-on-the-Lake, Ohio (about 4.5 hours NE of us) foe a weekend away a lovely lodge on Lake Erie.  Last night we sat out by a big firepit and watched the sun go down over the lake.  Today we will go on a tour of 4 wineries on a charter bus, and have dinner reservations at a nice restaurant tonight.  A bit of a calorie overload, but a much needed break.  I told my office manager that I would NOT be checking my email over the weekend.

14 miles for me yesterday before we headed out.   I am headed down to the fitness center now to see what it offers before breakfast.

Happy Saturday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Good pre-calorie-overload 14-miler, Holly. It sounds like you have a great weekend ahead of you, and got it off to a great start by the fire pit. Excellent decision to tell your office that you won't be checking email over the weekend - stick to it!

Great cartoons yesterday, and I like Mike's comment on Leslie's tree fall photo. Still too many injuries and illnesses out there, so I'm wishing you all have healing weekends.

DW and I also have about a 4.5 hr. drive ahead of us this morning, to visit a niece in Chester, NY. She talked me into tomorrow's half, and was going to run it till she developed a PF issue - bummer. While I'm racing tomorrow, DW will be having breakfast with a friend from high school who happens to live in the area. The race has a competitive walking div, which excites and scares me. It is also a hilly course, which (being a flat lander) scares me. I've been putting pressure on myself to do well tomorrow, and haven't been enjoying that pressure. So on my workout this morning, I decided to just enjoy tomorrow's race and not get my shorts all bunched up over the competitive aspects of it. Things often change when the gun goes off, so it'll be interesting to see what tomorrow brings.

3.5 easy RW miles this morning, just to stay loose ahead of the race.

Have a greta Saturday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

...PoolRunning is a Cruel Master.....

headed out to the Y this morning,

then

discovered I had left my lock there Thursday,

it happened a couple of time before, and the lock always got turned in at the front desk

this time someone took it.............meh......

the Y gave me a cheapo loaner,

the lanes were full,

nobody offered to share a lane,

and I gave up too easily

back in the car, went  Lock Shopping at Lowe's

meh again

.................good running to the rest of ya

...............ps...........meh.......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

54F

11 miles

1:40:01

I only needed 8 miles this morning. Sonya and Billy only wanted 9 miles this morning (they are running the New York City half marathon next Sunday). Carol wanted less than 11. For some reason, we ran 11 miles. And could have run almost 12 miles but, I stopped the watch and walked at 11 to stop the madness. The rocket scientist actually ran on for 12.3 miles, stating, "I just felt great".  Those words are salve to the wife of a previously injured man.

We had a cloudy morning and yet the dawn breaking over Glebe Gut and the James River is lovely just the same.

Holly, I love that you and DH and friends are on a weekend jaunt to Lake Erie.  Enjoy every minute.

Jay, nice attitude adjustment re: the race tomorrow. Have fun. And if the competitive spirit moves you, go with it.

You all have heard me talk about all my running buddies. Here is an article about Bill's daughter I love teachers. Aamos might appreciate this one.

Deez, good to hear Steven is on the road to recovery. It won't be easy but, he has your genes so... yes, he will be strong.

tselbs, we enjoyed your visit so many years ago. Thank you for remembering us kindly.

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

...PoolRunning is a Cruel Master.....

headed out to the Y this morning,

then

discovered I had left my lock there Thursday,

it happened a couple of time before, and the lock always got turned in at the front desk

this time someone took it.............meh......

Sorry about that Tom. From my experience working the front desk at the Y here, we have  baskets and baskets filled with locks that get turned in. We started putting a piece of tape with the date they were found on them so that when members came looking, we could ask "when did you lose your lock?"  That way they didn't have to dig through all of those Master Locks that are nearly identical. And sorry about the full pool. Saturday mornings are traditionally pretty busy here too, but usually people are nicer about sharing their space.

Have a great weekend Holly!

I'm predicting a great race for you tomorrow Jay.  And sorry about your DW's PF issue. Hope it resolves quickly.

Too cool about Boston Marj. Make us old folks proud!

Hope everyone with flu bugs and other ailments are feeling better today.

Pretty busy here lately working two jobs and helping DS#1 and DIL paint and clean their new house. My new job as a "lunch lady" is pretty physical. Well, at least for someone who's 63 years old! It's 4 hours of prep work, pushing ovens on wheels, washing tables, serving lunch to 2nd and 5th graders, then cleaning up - mopping floors etc. This is always after running and/or working out for a couple of hours. I've been pretty tired - and sore - these last few weeks. Which leads to my carpy run this morning. I set out to run 9. The weather is perfect here. 42° and party cloudy with just a little wind. I could tell about 4 miles in this wasn't my day. Got about 8 and walked 3/4 of a mile home and called it quits. Oh well. Tomorrow is another day...

DH and I are binge watching the new season of "House of Cards" since it came back on Netflix last week. We've already seen 11 episodes and only have a few left. The Underwoods are evil!

Enjoy your Saturday everyone.

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

So...I received a text from the wife of our high school cross country coach.  She's throwing him a surprise birthday party, today...at Baker's Square.  Not knowing what to bring...I sat down, this morning, and made him a card...see what you all think...(there are a couple of inside jokes that you might not quite get)...anyway...here it is...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY NEIL!

So it’s Neil Kruse’s birthday

He is 60 years old!

And he looks all of 60…

As I’m sure he’s been told.

And all who are here,

To his heart he holds dear…

Just be sure to speak up,

So our old friend can hear!

And where else would we gather,

But in Baker’s Square?

Where he looks right at home…

With all this grey hair.

But to celebrate Neil

Is why we have come.

To share some “Neil stories”…

And maybe make Neil feel dumb.

Of course I wouldn’t do that!

I’m his best friend that is why.

In fact—I got here real early…

Just to bake him a pie!

He’s taught my kids and my grandkids

And he’s helped my kids run.

In my book of great people…

Well…he’s near number one!

So I wanted to make sure

That the old guy felt better.

So I spent a few minutes…

And I wrote this dumb letter.

I went on the Google

To find things older than Neil.

But, not being that old, yet…

I wasn’t quite sure how he would feel.

But I was surprised what was there

And I jotted things down.

Like waffle-sole shoes…and the color brown.

He’s older than the jet airliner,

And the birth-control pill;

I tell ‘ya this man

Is over the hill!

CD’s and tape decks;

The laser beam too;

GPS, MRI’s

And, yes…Super Glue!

Now, Neil—I assure you

Your feelings I meant not to hurt;

But what I found out is…

You’re older than dirt!

But Neil, you’ve done good;

You’ve had a pretty good life.

You even managed to snag you

A young trophy-wife!

And I’m sure she’ll enjoy

All your “Old-Man” adventures;

Like pooping your pants

And cleaning your dentures!

I’m kidding, of course

It can’t be that bad;

Just remember to always…

Sit down on a pad!

Well, I suppose I should end this

It’s getting quite late;

Now that your bedtime

Is a quarter to eight.

So—happy birthday my friend;

Good times may you reap.

Oh crap!  Someone shake him!

He’s fallen asleep!

It looks better on the card...and I'm be reading it so I'll be able to put the inflections in the right places so it flows better.

Okay--I have to go get a couple of gag gifts, too.  See ya!

Mike E

MM #5615

Hey--I'm back.

I did 14 miles.  Stayed on my familiar course.  I don't have time to get lost, today.

Okay--that's it--gotta go.  See ya!

Mike E What a hoot!

Just popped in to say I managed to run 8 miles this morning with the local Joggers Club. Went out with the lead group and they got me to do the course at a 8"40 pace or so. Ugh! What was I thinking? I have been wiped out all day. Actually, feels good to be able to push my body like that again!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

(((Knights who say "meh")))

2 miles on trails with Herr Wegetarian this morning, in the rain...1 relentless uphill mile, then a glide downhill for mile 2.  Still trying to cross the threshold from "barely running at all" to "really training nicely for the upcoming relay."

Then we went to a bakery and ate scones for breakfast. Life is very good!

wildchild

Carolyn

I love the birthday card, Mike!  And I was happy to hear you did an actual trail run yesterday!  Now that you know where the trail goes, you won't get lost next time!

Holly, sounds like a great weekend getaway!

Happy racing tomorrow, Jay.  Embrace the hills! 

RCG, I'm happy to hear that the RS is running pain-free again!  Yay!   And you ran "bonus miles!"

Jeanne, your lunch lady duties sound like a workout!  Why are there ovens on wheels, though?

No running for me yet - my knee is still sore just walking.  I have no idea what I did to it, but I'm still hoping rest will make it better soon.  We've been putting the finishing touches on the Sprinter van projects, and every day we think we'll be done the next day...   that's been going on for about a week already!   It makes my DH very cranky when everything takes longer than he thought, but he should know better by now.    I'll post some pictures when it's done.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

I can't wait for new pics of the van, Carolyn. I hope your knee recovers as quickly as it came on.

Jay, good attitude about the race, I am sure you will do great.   Rose, it always sounds like you have a good time running with friends.

No running today but I had a good tempo run on Thursday. Today MrStarr and I left the house at 10am for Sioux Falls. I wanted to shop a bit before the 2:00 matinee. Five minutes into the rise he asked if I had the tickets to the show tonight. Tonight! I said no it was at two. Well he was right and I was wrong. We turned around, went home a worked on tax paperwork. It will be a short night with the time change and the three hour show. We saw Bullets on Broadway and I liked the costumes and dancing.

Anyway, I had planned to run when we got home from the matinee. Oh well, I will just run longer tomorrow. The ice is almost completely gone from the lake which is quite early.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

evanflein

Bummer on the time difference Starr. Hope you got to see the show eventually!

I love how Carolyn can just pick up and take off in that van... yes please post pictures and hope your knee is better! It's hard enough to have something go wrong and have to pay the recovery price, but when you don't know what happened.... that makes the recovery harder!

Our bike path is fully plowed but still icy in spots, so today's run was on that path with careful stepping on the icy spots and a few stops to take in the sights (dog mushing, moose in yards, mountain views....). 17.3 miles total and felt much better than my last long run, I'm crediting the changing views and "new" route to run!