Masters Running

Stevie Ray, et. al., What do you wear for cold, rainy marathons? (Read 278 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

I sort of picked out Stevie Ray in particular because he often says he’s an Island Boy who doesn’t like to be cold. I may not be an Island Girl, but I hate to be cold, too. So far I have been fortunate to have relatively dry weather for my marathons, but I know that luck won’t hold forever. I have yet to figure out what I would wear for a cold, rainy marathon. And when you’re out there for four hours or more, a bad clothing choice can mean hours of misery with chills, aching hands, etc. (My hands are a particular weak spot.) If I have cold rain at home, I usually stay on the TM, but I do have a Marmot rain shell I sometimes wear. Trouble is, the high collar kind of rubs on my chin, and if I wore it for a full marathon I might rub myself raw there. So what would you wear for rainy weather marathons, specifically COLD rain? (which for me means anything below 55°, but especially 40’s and even (gasp) 30’s with rain and probably wind)

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

#artbydmcbride

Long sleeve shirt, and capri length tights in wicking material, breathable wind breaker type vest, hat, and light gloves. I also like gaiters to keep my socks dry too. Good luck!

Runners run

I wear noisy plastic bags and run alongside of Stevie Ray, who prudently drives the course the night before and knows where we are going when all the (many) directional signs that were spraypainted on the street are under about 8 inches of water and thus illegible. Wink
        Masters 2000 miles
        xor

Amy wears the patented plastic bag and/or windbreaker in many other races besides the one she's remembering, I assure you. The challenge with a good running jacket is that you are going to get wet anyway... either outside-in because of the rain or inside-out because the coat will heat you up extra and make you sweat more. When I go for the coat, it's because the rain and cold are accompanied by wind. The wind is what gets me the most. Also, it is rare that it actually rains for 3-5 solid hours. Oh, it has happened to me... but usually a rainy race really means it comes and goes. So if you start with a jacket you can't bear with ditching, then make sure it is lightweight enough to tie around you. Anyway. If it is in the mid 50s and windy/rain, I just wear a short sleeve shirt under a rain jacket that I can wrap around my waist if I choose. I hear you on the whole 'rub something' angle... so I have a couple jackets I've tested out and know won't do this. If it is close to 50, it's a long sleeve shirt. Same idea. If it's in the 40s, I'm probably in a two shirt combo under that jacket. *but only if it is windy* A hat is a requirement for me because I don't like rain on my glasses. It only helps some, but it helps. I'm in shorts unless it is 40ish, raining AND WINDY. Then, pants. If it isn't windy, I can stick with shorts down to the mid 30s. I don't wear gaiters, but I *do* go with single layer socks when it is wet. AND, this is key, bodyglide on the feet. It's the only time I put bodyglide on my feet... but if it is raining, it is something I always do. Gloves are tricky. Most of them are going to soak up water. I have a pair that are waterproof, but they are also thick, so I don't wear them unless it is really, really cold. When it is dry outside, I will use chemical handwarmers (while most folks think it is balmy outside), but I've learned that when they get really soaked, they usually don't work anymore. Good luck.

coastwalker

Hi Holly, I agree with Stevie Ray that you have to accept that you are going to get wet, no matter what. So you want to wear whatever is going to help you retain some body heat, especially if it is a chilly, constant rain. Depending on the temp, maybe a vest would help to keep your torso warm without as great a risk of overheating. Of course, a vest doesn't have sleeves which would enable you to tie it around your waist, so you'd be committing to wearing it the whole way or tossing it. I also have a problem with my hands staying cold even in moderate temps, so I wear gloves a lot. Your gloves are also going to get wet, but they can still help keep your hands warmer. Even lightweight gloves can make a significant difference. A cap will not only help keep the rain out of your eyes (it's usually better to be able to see where you are going), it will help keep your head warm too, even if it gets wet. I never tried Bodyglide on my feet, but I've also (knock on toenails) very rarely had a problem with wet feet. The next few times it rains at home, get off the treadmill and get outside for some runs with different clothes to see what works and what doesn't. Remember: No surprises on race day! Good luck! Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Marathon Maniac #957

Thanks for the input, folks. Coastwalker, you're right that I need to get out there and actually run in these conditions to find out. My rain shell set me back $100, so I may as well give it a workout. Next time I have a LR scheduled on a rainy day, I need to get out there and see how that works for longer runs. I can always run in 6-7 mile loops in town, so I can change out at home after an hour or so if my clothing choice isn't working.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #3309

Why do I all of a sudden feel doomed that the weather at the Seattle Marathon will be cold - rainy, and miserable Wink TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

xor

Why do I all of a sudden feel doomed that the weather at the Seattle Marathon will be cold - rainy, and miserable Wink TimBo
                  The race occurs before July 5th. There's a good chance of that anyway. (not 100%, though. It could be like today, blue skies and 60... but 7/5 is the magic day most years)

Marathon Maniac #957

Tim, just think, thousands of women in wet t-shirts... Big grin

Marathon Maniac #3309

Tim, just think, thousands of women in wet t-shirts... Big grin
                      Yeah, and add shirtless TimBo to the mix too...sounds like a running street party. Now I have to try and get "Tim, just think, thousands of women in wet t-shirts" off my mind....thanks Holly Evil grin

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Holly, I think you are worrying too much. Seattle, WA June 27th, Avg Low 54 Avg High 72 Record Low 39 Record High 90 avg. precipitation 0.04 in So worst case scenerio....as low as 39 at the beginning of the race, and that is just not very likely at all. I'd go with a singlet with a lightweight long sleeve overtop, if I were you. If I were me....probably just one short sleeve top, and shorts of course. My engine runs hot.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

right, right timmsie, don't worry about the weather at all seattle marathon - circa 2006 (see also 1990)

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

Enke - thanks for the ave weather info - I was wondering what to expect in late June in Seattle. But the cold rainy weather question was more of a general question. I'm thinking more of my fall marathon, which is October 18.

Ok then. Forgot to mention, if it is cold that day, like 45 and raining you may want gloves. But, likely scenerio is 55F, overcast and calm in morning gradually clearing, and with the humidity, it can feel muggy and uncomfortable above 60F. A few sprinkles if you are lucky, cause those do feel nice.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."