Masters Running

Sat 9/20 - Good day to run and race, and be alive! (Read 443 times)

Jeepers! That is one heck of a course profile! How do you even run down that monster?? I was nervous for Erika this morning, but really happy at the weather forcast. Funny, getting nervous for someone else! Did 6.1 miles ultra slug pace (11:04), which seems to be all I can do these days, when I'm not doing speedwork that is. Then 30 min on the bike. All the biking this week has been great for the foot, but fatiguing on the legs. Perfect PNW weather today...55F, windless, running through a drippy, misty fog cloud. Love it. Everything looking so damp and green and fresh. Congrat on the AG placement evry!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Marathon Maniac #3309

Big congrats to evry for 3rd in age group...and you say you were not in race shape...well done and good racing Bro...good time also! Good job Mary on your even paced miles...you slacker, lol. Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Thanks guys/gals.
        Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
          Way to go evryday! 3rd in your age group is rocking (sorry about the roller coaster though). I love local races and always try to support them as well. Well done my groovin' cyber friend! Nice runs all over the place here today. Congratulations to Teresa's son. How awesome and I can't wait to her from her on her race as well. I am windburned and happy after a 30k training run/race in Essex, VT. The details are in my log here. My goals were: run at steady 7:40-45 pace, don't race it even if passed by a similarly aged woman Smile, achieve comfortably hard pace. I pretty much hit it with a 2:23 and change finish time (there was a long hill at 12.5-13.5 that rose 270') the head winds were 30mph for the last 5 miles. That's all wimpy compared to Erika's course I know! It was a fun day and the real test was whether I would feel shredded at the finish. This wasn't effortless and yet, it felt good and as if I could do a whole marathon. No taper and no sleep for the past few nights. I just don't sleep anymore when I am on the road for work----not good! The kiddo had a great time taking photos. He's a shutterbug and just joined the photography club at school. He and Mr. Cnyrunner biked out to the 20k mark (middle of a cornfield) and the kiddo took photos of every runner (small race with just 88). They came to the finish as well. It was such a fun day and quintessential NE weather. I am hoping all the racers had great days and will go read race reports now....! I am also wondering how ultrachick/Kelly's first 100 mile (or k?) race went! Rocking long run Tim!!! Thanks for the coffee too. There was $1.25 in there when I had my cup at 6:15 AM! Over and out, Karin

Marathon Maniac #957

Peter – you have such a lovely home! I hope Erika did well today. Perch – good to see you coming back so well. Tim – nice run! Evryday – congratulations on winning 3rd AG! Breger – bummer for the Mrs., both in terms of the injury and the cost. Isn’t that always the timing? Karin - great job! I hope you will post a photo or two. 13.1 miles plus .5 mile WU and .8 mile CD makes 14.4 miles total today. Official results aren’t up yet, but my Garmin gives a finishing time of roughly 2:14 (ave pace 10:11, ave HR 161) – a big PW, but then I expected that. Temps were mid-60’s to start, and around 80 at the finish. My incredibly high ave HR for this pace says a lot, I guess, because I felt as exhausted at the end as if I had run a full marathon. Maybe it was the heat, maybe just that I haven’t had time to build a decent base. After chip removal and some stretching, I was standing in line for the food tent and I nearly passed out – a first for me. I suddenly got so dizzy that I sat down right where I was. I started to get up after a few seconds and decided instead that lying down might be a better idea (yup, right there in front of all those people, a little embarrassing). A very kind woman brought me a cold water bottle and a banana and I actually crawled the few feet left to get into the shade of the tent, and felt better after a few minutes, and was able to drive myself home. I thought I was well-hydrated, drank at every water stop, and was not crusted with salt at the end, so I don’t know exactly what the problem was. I made a decision today, though, not to try to run the full marathon at Columbus next month. At mile #13, I could barely conceive of going twice that distance any time soon. I’ve heard I can switch to the half without a problem. I know many people run marathons with not very much base, and with only one 20-miler under their belts, but I would bet many of them don’t do it again. I could walk/run Columbus in maybe 5 hours or so, but it would be miserable. Marathons are hard enough to do when you are in prime shape for them: I’m just not in the mood to force it and be that miserable. Besides, I don’t want to make my husband have to wait out there for untold hours for me if something goes wrong and I end up walking a lot. So, I will instead recuperate over the winter, build up my base and speed again, and try for a good spring marathon.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Holly! I am happy for you on a few levels---you were tough and made it through---- even if the time was a PW, it was a strong, strong effort after the injury you suffered, you recovered after a scary dizzy spell (worrying about you friend---are you re-hydrated and feeling better?) AND YOU MADE A GREAT DECISION ABOUT COLUMBUS. Take good care of YOU and you'll be back better than ever in the spring. Perch! So happy for you and hope this strong trend continues! Healing vibes to Mrs. Breger1....that stinks! Karin
                hi AAmos, guess we missed each other last Sunday in Maui! Tetsujin, no RR from me until I get my photos off the digital camera. I'm still enjoying my lazy vacation. Eat sleep eat sleep. I just entered a new age group this week too Smile Ran 10 miles with the running club, very nice and lots of fun. I sure enjoy getting a cool cup of water every 4 miles. I savored a salty cool spam musubi as my post run snack. Life is wonderful. Regarding all the pirate talk lately, I just finished reading "In the Heart of the Ocean" (about the Essex whaleship disaster) and it really makes me want to stay on dry land.
                  Temps were mid-60’s to start, and around 80 at the finish. My incredibly high ave HR for this pace says a lot, I guess
                  And so does the temperature!! Don't underestimate that factor! But a wise decision absolutely on doing a half instead of full. Glad you found some shade to crawl to. Tongue FWIW - I was pumped about Seafair this year, in prime shape, but 80F had me running about 1 min/mile slower than I knew I could do otherwise. WHERE IS ERIKA???

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

evanflein

Geez, that Ribs is one pushy sort, no? (you too, Enke!) I'm back. I'm all warmed up and cleaned up. That's the coldest race I have ever done... well the middle part at least. It was nice enough at the start, freakin' cold and windy at the top, and nice at the end when the sun was even peeking out for the last 5 miles or so. My foot behaved as well as it could, I only slipped on roots a couple times, and managed to stay upright for the entire race... many others weren't so fortunate. I'm very very happy with my time, and given that I lost at least 4 minutes at aid stations because I had to have someone dig out and open my Gu packets for me (my hands were so cold, totally useless), I know I can do even better in better conditions. The photo Tet posted at the beginning is the web cam from the building across the road from my office. It shows the conditions at the start/finish area. The top of Ester Dome was shrouded in clouds and mist and very windy. Considering I avoided hypothermia, it all ended well. Full race report to come later (no time now). Holly, good work considering. Scary episode at the end though. You feeling ok now? And dropping the Columbus marathon is probably a good idea. Enke, running down is the fun part! It's the going up that kills you. How's your foot?
                      Speak of the devil. Wink ..Way to go Erika!! Not sure which would be worse, running/walking up that thing or down! I can't wait for the report. Sorry your hands froze up. My foot is good, and I am again in happy land.

Nice half Holly! I was worried when I read the dizzy part. Glad you're OK... Yes, your plan of a nice spring marathon sounds good. I've got my sites set on April. Good luck.
                        Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                        Teresadfp

One day at a time

Congratulations, Erika and Holly! Just remember, Holly, some of us would be overjoyed with your pace! Smile I am really freaking out about my race tomorrow. I need to take a deep breath and go to bed. Good night!

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

what a wonderful autumnal equinox weekend highlighted by holly and erika's smart racing and others' marathon-like distance running too with another arf marathon tomorrow. <>two-bears/two-bears)>>> hope everyone's {{feet}} are feelin' better too. .

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

SteveP

Thanks for starting us off Tim. Spareribs, You're a pragon of smart recovery Is there a HopefulMary fan club???? Good deal on getting DW medical attention Breger. Holly, your post made my heart skip a beat!! Yikes!! Most of my life, I've had visons of beautiful women falling at my feet. After reading about your experience....I don't think I'd like that so much....Maybe if she had a handful of cash and a Batman shirt...Wise choice of switching to the HM. 7 miles at the Harvest Stompede. MY back was still sore from the previous weekend. I considered a DNS, however, the race is Uber-Kewl (pardon my language). The event was a total blessing. More to follow.

SteveP

SteveP

Ooops...Forgot to add...I picked up Batman shirt #53. Cool

SteveP