Masters Running

Race Reports for the June 2 & 3 weekend (Read 19 times)

Mariposai

Wishing our weekend racers good speed

Please come back here to tell us all about it.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Mariposai

Sunny Okanogan  5k Fun Run race report

Our neighboring town had a spring festival today, which included a 5k fun run. The race was a very low key, but very well organized. The entry is free and participants get a cool t-shirt. The Easy Pacer and I decided to run the race to support the race and we are very happy we did.

Race course:  the race course is up hill, about 1000ft elevation gain in 1.5 miles, which took us to the top of a small ridge overlooking the valley and with amazing views of the Cascades Mountains. The turn around is all downhill , which is always great for a fast negative split finish. This was my first run up hill since my injury and I was rather concerned how "knee" will react to the hill. To my surprise, "knee" did rather well up hill and I finished the the 5k in 32 minutes.

Highlight of the race: being a cheerleader to over 100 participants, many as young as 5 years old. I just love seeing families walk/run in community events like this.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Marathon Maniac #957

That sounds like a fun event, Nancy, and I am glad your knee is behaving.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Good job Posie and that is some major hillage!

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me

Mike E

MM #5615

Very nice, Posie.  I'm glad you're back at it.

an amazing likeness

So...I "ran" the Covered Bridges Half Marathon in Woodstock, VT today and, actually, I'm ok with the flow of the run despite it being my 3rd slowest HM in the log.  Like others here, I've been battling stress fractures and trying to get back from quite a few months of 0 run miles at the end of last year...

Pros....

+ It really is the "prettiest 13.1 miles in New England" -- this is just a fantastic course. I'd run chunks of it every day if I lived in the area...of the 60+ half marathons I've run, this is king of courses.

+ One could not ask for better running weather -- 60F, slight north breeze, mix of sun and shade, low humidity.  (Whew! Because coming from Maine, we've only had a few days warmer than 65F so far this year.)

+ Despite having few training runs longer than 8 miles in the past 5 months, my fastest splits for the day were in the last 5K.

Cons...

- Despite this race being a regular event on her schedule, I didn't see the good Dr RTravers at either start or finish...

- Looks like my days of 1:40 half marathons are long gone...

- At the start I had a headache, was hungry, and needed to pee. Had to solve one of these by a port-potty stop at mile 4....only 2nd time ever I've done the porta-potty stop on course in a race...

Fashion report....the Hoka clown shoes I have to wear these days for their cushioning, Tan knee brace. Dark blue shorts, and blue Nike shirt from another race which sheds snot and sweat well.  In other words, if there was a picture of ten 57-year-old pudgy guys running...I'd fit right in.

I run my half marathons as 5mi + 5mi +5K...so 44:03 even for both 5mi segments, then 27:07 for final 6K (course always runs long...it's dirt roads in VT...)  That's what I call a "John Deere" day...just plowing along.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Mike E

MM #5615

That sounds like a cool race, milktruck--I wish I was closer so I could run it, sometimes.  I didn't realize you were battling stress fractures.  I hope you can back to some good training, soon, and go back, next year, for a sub 1:40.  Good job, this year, too.

Marathon Maniac #957

Sounds like an awesome race, Milktruck, but that hill at mile 8 looks tough!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

coastwalker

Great job on a tough course, Mariposai, and very good come-back race, Milktruck. Since these were recovery races for both of you, the fact that you finished without additional injuries is much more important than your times. Well done!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.