Masters Running

Taco Toosday 7/9! (Read 38 times)

Joe618

Burrito for lunch - no tacos

marj

Burritos at our company cafeteria today as well, Marj.   Never a bad day for Mexican, IMHO.

Like Jay, I also slept very poorly last night, slept late and thus so didn't get in a run this morning.   Hope to run this evening. 

Thanks a lot to you who helped me understand the age grading yesterday.   There was a team-oriented race in Indy earlier this summer which said it would score exclusively on age-graded time.   I didn't fully grasp it but I wondered, as a friend (in his early 30s) who wanted to organize a team from our company REALLY wanted me to run, figuring I could get a good time given my "advanced age".   Thanks...I guess.   Now I understand better. 

Falcon, glad you remembered the Army ad. 

Back to work...rock the rest of your tacos.....

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

I have no doubt if I saw a video of me walking or running, it'd force me to quit right then and there. 

Very me too too.

In fact, six or seven years ago, DW took a video during a race when I though she was just taking pictures. Now you've made me think of it again but I've got lots of practicing supressing how slow I've become.

I 

Image result for funny flabby triceps

Leslie - as a matter of common courtesy and human decency,

please go back to day-of-the-week cartoons. Thanks.

Leslie - have you ever run a 12-hour or other timed race yet?

They are my favorites now, kind of reminding me of the Bill Rodgers’ One-hour Out-and-Backs back in the seventies where everyone would run out for as long as they figured they could and still turn around to finish in one hour, . . . same as, and with, Bill Rodges, no less.

What I mainly like about 12-hour and other timed races on loops is not only getting to run with everyone all day long but also being able to finish with everyone else and not being a straggler keeping the volunteers out in the elements longer than necessary. Especially because you can call it a day at any distance you want, even 5K, everyone who is still out there after 12 hours rejoices the last lap the same, without regard to distance achieved so I’m barely finishing 26.2 miles with runners who are up in Surly territory (100K). Sure would never feel that way running a point-to-point marathon in 12 hours.

Surly – When they short changed me a lap one year, I had all 15 or so of my 40-45 minute laps on the IM 200 lap watch I used to wear a lot. Now, I make a crib sheet of lap times needed to reach the marathon mark and more in twelve hours to see how I’m doing throughout the day. The ones around here only have 30-50 runners so it’s possible for the RD to check off our laps on a big chart we can double-check every lap. .

Falcon – I guess I didn’t know Scott was doing bikes too.

Very neat.

Thanks.

Good luck {{{henrun}}}.

first swim of the year - took a two mile sidebar down the lake for a little grass-and-sand running but, the first time I went along the beach, the lake called so jumped in and swam about 25 yards out to the last old pier piling for the first swim of the year, . . . clearly confirming that I should immediately withdraw from the summer’s triathlon schedule, . . . but I won’t.

Oddly enough, I guess because I was the only 75-yo in last summer’s tri’s, I got a “golden” invitation to the Nationals that KSA’s kids go to every year in Cleveland. Unfortunately, the only distances I can realistically finish anymore are the abbrieviated 0.25m/12-14mi/5K in the swim/bike/runs of the super-sprints and, though the Nationals have that distance the day before the main Olympic Distance Championships (1.0/25/10K), it’s just a gimmick like the 5k’s before many regularly-scheduled marathons and doesn't count for anything.  My main nemesis ever since the 1987 IM, now 87-yo, AG super-star, Sister Madonna, says I should have gone last year as the swim was cancelled due to rough water in Lake Erie.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Falconfixer

Hey y'all, quick post prior to heading to the Y.  We're getting a pop up thunderstorm at the moment, hopefully it will cool things down.  One good side effect of yesterday's hot (HOT) and humid (HUMID) afternoon run is that this morning's felt quite good by comparison.  I did 6 x 800m with 400m recoveries.  Other than the last one, I was sort of happy with them.  3:24, 3:17, 3:16, 3:19, 3:22 and …. 3:29.  To be fair, I almost stopped the last one less than 200m in but glad I completed it.  After that I tried to do a shortened version of my HS 10 minute drill.  200m repeats, you start each one on the minute.  Problem was the first two took 50 seconds so I stopped it well short of a hoped for 6.  Total of 7.4 miles.

If I had Mike's speed I wouldn't worry too much about Age Graded times either!

Will try to get back after class.

Have a greta evening everyone!

Surly – When they short changed me a lap one year, I had all 15 or so of my 40-45 minute laps on the IM 200 lap watch I used to wear a lot. Now, I make a crib sheet of lap times needed to reach the marathon mark and more in twelve hours to see how I’m doing throughout the day. The ones around here only have 30-50 runners so it’s possible for the RD to check off our laps on a big chart we can double-check every lap. .

It's easy to get delirious and forget what lap you're on after a dozen. I lost track for a bit around lap 14, but in the opposite direction, doing the 14th lap twice! Figured it out based on the amount of time left and the math I'd done in my head on the previous lap (the first 14th) considering my likelihood of making 100k. I did forget how many little laps I did, I thought 5-6 but it was 9. Regarding timed races and people just going for a distance (Marathon, 50k, 50M, 100k, etc) there were many people in my race who stopped after hitting a specific distance, notably marathon or 50k.

Henrun, sorry to hear about the knee. Maybe you can time the surgery so recovery is when you wouldn't be able to get out much, anyway. I think if I finally get achilles surgery I'll do it in a November so I can be on it when the weather starts getting better.

Taco Two'sday: I saw an article this morning that the famous foreign food restaurant Taco Bell is going to be pricing crunchy tacos at $1 nationwide, and not just for tuesdays.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Henrun-  Hope the knees are OK soon!

2.1 treadmill miles after work.  Didn't want to do it, but felt better having done the miles!  5.3 for the day.  Next week and the week after have some tough business travel so my mileage might be a lot lower.

Tet-  neither of my kids is competing this  year.  Son hasn't been training and has been wrapped up in his business.  He is heading to Colorado at the end of the week for about 3 weeks of biking with a friend.  He'll work from there.  They will be doing a lot of mountain biking, so odds are good that one of them breaks something.    My daughter is heading for Rome and Israel on combination vacation/pilgrimage.  Her exercise has been really off ever since she was hit by the car in October.  New relationship, demanding job.....   I hope she'll get back into it.  I keep my mouth shut.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Hi Masters!! Wifi seems a little better today - maybe less people trying to jump on with it being Tuesday!!

Vacation has been great - front loaded with kid time but now ready for adult time!! Had Justin, the girls, Nicholas, Allison, Baby Emily and the dog here various times from 7/3-7/6, had Sunday to clean, laundry and regroup then had my friend Liz with her 2 little kids yesterday afternoon until just about an hour ago!! Lots of fun, but this Nonna is ready to relax with the adults for the rest of the week!!

Yesterday went to PF as a guest with a friend before round 2 of kid company started. Felt great to get a good strength workout done!! Today ran 5.5 with 4 sets of intervals in the middle while the kiddos were just waking and having a lazy breakfast!! Lots of beach, pool and golf cart rides the rest of the day!! My left lower leg is still a little naggy so trying to be somewhat cautious and listen to the aches.

Have a great night!!

denise

evanflein

5.8 hot sunny miles in icky (but not dangerous) air. We might get some rain later this week, but apparently with thunderstorms which cause more fires. Need a good two weeks of gentle non-stop rain.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

there were many people in my race who stopped after hitting a specific distance, notably marathon or 50k.

the famous foreign food restaurant Taco Bell is going to be pricing crunchy tacos at $1 nationwide

That's another reason I like 12-hourers as, as long as I at least make it to 27 or 28 miles as has become the case in recent years, I'll be ahead of the bulk of Maniac Marathon runners who only run their accustomed four or five hours for the requisite 26.2 miles to qualify for their accumulating stats.

ps - the French one too - Jacque in zee bahques.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Henrun

Thank you for comments about my knee. Yesterday after yoga it felt much better and I was able to walk a couple of miles with no pain. We’ll see how it goes today.