Masters Running

December 1 - West Coast Early Wake-Up (Read 35 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Hay folks!

Just a fly-by to say, 4.1 miles for me on the TM this morning.

See-ya!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

moebo

And that's probably a LOT more than you were expecting!! 

Oh, but it was all very interesting! I have struggled a lot to find the right shoes, and I find that every couple of years I have to begin my search all over again, when either something about my preferred shoes gets changed, or something about me gets changed. Right now, I am a neutral mid-foot striker, but there was a time when I was a heel-striking pronator...

Erika, I really like the Ghosts--I have 2 pairs--but contrary to what Opie has found, my metatarsalgia started AFTER I began wearing them. I solved it with metatarsal pads under the insoles.

Henrun, I remember you said that you would be going for Dupuytrens surgery tomorrow. I hope it goes well! My BF and his brother both suffer from it to some extent, so I will be interested to find out how much you find the surgery helps.

Moebo - I had a ghost visit me last night, but that isn't hat you meant is it?

Kirsten

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

I sure wouldn't know but maybe they[re for the various several ghost marathons

more-and-more being offered as low-cost alternatives to the next day's mega-ones.

. . . Ghost of Tacoma (May)

. . . Ghost of Bellevue (June)

. . . Ghost of Seattle (November)

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Mike E

MM #5615

I'm afraid of ghosts!  Except for Casper...he's friendly.

Mariposai

I so appreciate the warmth and camaraderie we have here. It is a solace for hectic days for me.

Erika, that must be a shocker to come back from Hawaii to your arctic tundra. Welcome back home, anyway.

Taperboy, you never stop to amaze me with your marathons.

Maebo, I enjoy reading your postings.

Tselbs, you are ata boys and girls always warms my heart.

Twocat, you smart boy...opted to run 8 miles and managed to not attend a workshop...unless...you were the one who had to give the workshop.

Enjoy Honk Kong and Singapore. BTW, while in Honk Kong, you may want to visit Stanley Market for the cheapest silk ties, suits and silk scarves for ladies. Mrs Twocat may enjoy a gift or two from there.

Another agency budget day for me that started at 5am and culminated at 3pm. I came home, took a nap and then ran 5 miles on the TM, 4 at tempo. We have extreme weather here, so no running outside for a while.

Cheers,

Nancy

Aamos, have you thought about Portland?

Tamster, it is so good to see you here again. I did miss reading about your daily life's happening here. Coming to Portland in 2016?

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

C-R

Oh my. I really long for those days when I lived in HI. What a great place especially if you like outdoor adventures.

Hey Tet. Congrats. Very cool.

Got an easy 5 miler today. Trying to balance work and running and family. Not easy but then again.......

Hope you all have a great day.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Trying to catch up here.  I have read everyone's fun happenings but no time to comment, unfortunately.   I had a lovely Thanksgiving break with Mr. Blue Eyes at the cabin. It was cold and clear for 4 days. Lots of movie watching, eating, walking, wood chopping and hot tubbing, but no gifting. Sorry Jay!

No running.  My first day on the new job was busy...they put me in 2 important meetings and my head was spinning trying to absorb everything. The good news is I really like my manager and everyone else I met in the company. The workspace is cool and everyone is fun and enthusiastic. I was excited to see a running gear store one door away from the office, a large bookstore just around the corner, an art supply store across the street, and I could hear music from the ballroom two foors beneath me in the afternoon. I am really liking this place!

Probably won't get a chance to run until the weekend...just too much new stuff going on this week.  ~~ carry on ~~

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

evanflein

Well the Ghosts sure felt good in the store. I know what you mean about struggling to find the right shoe after your favorite changes or, in my case, is discontinued. I was a fan of the Asics Gel-Speedstar for years (same with Enke). Then Asics discontinued them. I tried so many Asics shoes that the company said were good subs and none of them worked for me. So I started trying others, and found the New Balance 1400, version 1. I'm on version 3 now and I like it pretty well. Version 2 didn't work so well, hard to explain but it just wasn't right so glad the 3's worked. And the Brooks PureFlow are good, too. But it is hard to find just the right shoe, especially if you have weird feet.

Came home and was totally unenthused about a run in the dark on the hard pack/icy snow roads, with hills, but I did it anyway. Getting all dressed is the biggest pain, especially after running the last 11 days in just shorts and a top. Fingers were cold the first 1.8 miles or so, then warmed up and I was fine. A couple slips, and my spikeys kept slipping to the side on my shoes (grrrr) but overall it ended up being a pretty good run. First run with the headlamp in quite awhile! 5.2 miles with hills and 7° to 10° range of temps.

moebo

Kirsten: 

Mike, now I've got  Casper the Friendly Ghost in my head!