Masters Running

Galena Tri RR (Read 269 times)

Slo

Galena Triathlon Sprint Distance Swim: 660 Yds Bike: 18.5 Miles Run: 4.3 miles Mid week the weather was looking horrible for this race. Cold, Rain and Winds. The RD must have been getting several inquiries about refunds and what not because the website conspicuously posted in bold the No Refund No Rain Check Policy. The front came thru sooner than expected. The forecast was chilly and windy but now we would have sun! 800 participants showed up. (There is a Du-Athlon with this that drew another 600 people) Water temp was 63 deg. Winds were 18 mph out of the North….Mostly head winds for the bike. Race starts at 9:00am on the button…..It’s never been late in my 5 years here. Swim waves go off every three minutes like clock work. My wave was at 9:42. I use this time to get some warm up in the water. 63 deg is cold….it took my breath away when I first submerged myself but you do get accustomed to it. Average swim for me. I did get behind two guys zig zagging that I never was able to get by. I need to work on my surge. Probably added 2 mins or more. When I rounded the last buoy the sun was directly in my eyes on my breathing stroke. Blinding me and making it impossible to site. I need to work on by-lateral breathing. The Bike is hilly. Big climbs, big downhills, 90 deg corners….very technical and very fun! Except for the 18 mph head winds and cross winds. Never once at your back ! The Run was also very scenic. A new course with some very nice hills. I do well on hills so these are welcomed. I don’t like them.....but I do pass many people on hills and this is a race. A final climb of 200 yds at 11% incline……Damn! What a *&%$& that was! The important stuff: Final 2:01:49 225 / 800 *Swim 14:38 468 / 800 T1 3:19 231 / 800 Bike 1:07:25 214 / 800 T2 2:44 383 / 800 Run 33:42 197 / 800 Age group stats not posted yet. Links to race photos: Bike http://www.midwestactionphotos.com/mp_client/pictures.asp?action=viewphotos&size=fullsize&pagenum=760&id=4711845&eventid=56961 Run: (what is she pointing at?) http://www.midwestactionphotos.com/mp_client/pictures.asp?action=viewphotos&size=fullsize&pagenum=465&id=4714271&eventid=56964 Swim http://www.midwestactionphotos.com/mp_client/pictures.asp?action=viewphotos&size=fullsize&pagenum=710&id=4715722&eventid=56966
    Tramps

I still can't get a hang of this running thing, so adding biking and swimming is way out of my league. Very cool that you do this though. Congratulations. I do wish you hadn't said this though:
      A final climb of 200 yds at 11% incline……Damn! What a *&%$& that was!
      I've got Mt. Washington next month: 7+ miles at an average of 11.5% incline. Now I'm worrying. Black eye

Be safe. Be kind.

Marathon Maniac #957

63 degree water? I got chills just thinking about it. I was glad to see you wore a wetsuit, at least. I take it the swim part is in an open body of water? And your bike is so very, very slim. Must be so light. I don't know whether this is a good time for you or not, but it looks pretty impressive to me. Great job! Nice photos, too.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

I'm impressed, SLO. If I tried a tri, I'd probably drown in the swim and never find out about the transitions, bike, or run. You placed well, overall, in each of the three legs, and in the transitions. Congratulations. TomS

King of PhotoShop

You are tough to take on an event like this one. I hope you do well in the placement. You sure work hard enough to deserve it. Well done SLO. Spareribs
            Slo

I don't know whether this is a good time for you or not, but it looks pretty impressive to me. Great job! Nice photos, too.
              Last year I did this in 1:55:10 and finished 249 / 800. This year the Bike and Run course changed. It took me longer but I moved up in placement. I'm happy with the time......Had I more biking I could have been well under 200.
              You are tough to take on an event like this one. I hope you do well in the placement. You sure work hard enough to deserve it. Well done SLO. Spareribs
              There 1400 of us dumb-asses tough SOB's Wink out there ! Thanks Tom......there are plenty of lifeguards, boats and kayaks......to my knowledge, out of 800 swimmers only one didn't finish.
                Excellent race and race report! Great pictures as well! Thanks for sharing.

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Wow, pretty exciting stuff but I don't think I'll ever tri it. You had a good placement, so congratulations! Nice photos too, I'd swoon, but I'm married.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Way to go SLO_HAND! and I'll swoon (quietly---I think I know why that lady is pointing) Seriously, good work and impressive. I am learning all about transition times and phase training from my Tri friend. Your fitness levels are insane and admirable to be sure. How many more are you planning to race in the next months?
                    Slo

Blush Awe Schucks ! Why thank you ladies.
                      How many more are you planning to race in the next months?
                      I have 3 more sprint distance tri's on the schedule thru early July. These are much easier and much smaller (attendance) than the Galena Tri. I am also doing a Half Iron in August along with a Fall Marathon and 2 Du-Athlons. (Run-Bike-Run) Somewhere in there I need to fit the family vacation and RAGBRAI........Hmmm, I'm thinking something may need to drop. RAGBRAI is a week long Bike ride across Iowa. "Registers Annual Great Bike Ride Across Iowa"
                      Slo

Age Group Results just posted. M 4044 38 / 113........If I could have taken a few minutes off......which had my biking been on par......I would have easily placed in the teens.
                          wow!! nice job Steve!! i just reread your profile too -- you could combine being a triathlete AND a french runway model!!Blush I'm doing my 1st sprint tri this weekend -- you're report is inspiring!! Big grin

denise

Slo

wow!! nice job Steve!! i just reread your profile too -- you could combine being a triathlete AND a french runway model!!Blush I'm doing my 1st sprint tri this weekend -- you're report is inspiring!! Big grin
                            Wow.....Good Luck ! Careful, Tris are like Crack cocaine......very addicting! I'll be anxious to hear your thoughts on your 1st Tri.