Masters Running

Tuesday First day of Sept. Master Runs and Workouts (Read 400 times)

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Teresa - remember the "rule of running shoes":  if you really, really like 'em, they won't make them any more.   Best of luck to your DS's!

But I don't LIKE that rule!!!

Top 'O the World!

I saw some leaves falling off a tree today!  No, no, no . . . . I do not see anybody reporting temps below 70, I do not see anybody reporting temps below 70 . . .

Uhem... 34* F & Aspens starting to turn in Camp Hale (Nova Guides), Colorado for start of Stage 3 of TransRockiesRun 8/25/09

Rest/recovery from 23 *kickin' my own butt* miles yesterday....should go do an easy couple later, post laundry & sorting out all the camping/support gear from last week

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
      evanflein

We've been getting a lot of yellow leaves on the birch trees and the high bush cranberry leaves are bright red. Tetsujin knows what I'm talking about. The birch are starting to drop their leaves but it's slow at first. Give it a couple weeks and they'll be blanketing the roads and trails. Not a problem if it's dry, but at the rate we're going, the Equinox trail could be very slick with mud and wet leaves on roots and ruts in the trail.

Some very nice runs today. I'm amazed at how so many of you can knock out these runs so early in the morning. I couldn't do that before work at all. Maybe 5, but not these 9, 10, 11+ mile runs and complicated workouts. Geez. 

Holly, you work for a troll. Sorry, but there's just no other way to say it. I sure hope you spend some time polishing up your resume for some better working conditions. I've worked for a woman with no children before, and she was not too bad but her favorite line was "kids are resilient" when I was having daycare problems. Yeah, like how the hell would she know? For the last 13 years I've worked for a man who drives me nuts sometimes, but his focus is on family and kids and if there's anything I need to do for mine at just about any time, his response is "go take care of it." Gotta love that.

I felt pretty carpy all day at work yesterday. Very unproductive day all around, so I threw in the towel and stayed home today. I think it's the 3rd time in over 15 years (since my last maternity leave) that I've called in sick for myself. Even so, I keep thinking I could take this or that and make it in to work. But I think I need to just lay low for a day and kick this thing. DS2 has a XC meet today (a race I didn't know about till yesterday), just a small "dual" meet with the high school across town (where DH and I went to school), so low key and close by. I'd have missed it if I went to work! 

Slo

Yep, It's HS XC season !

We have a HS Girls meet in town this afternoon. I don't have anyone running but earlier today I was thinking about taking a nice run out to the course and watching it.....after reading about Teresa and Erika going to thier DS's I just may have to. I just don't know if I want to stand around in the cool air after a run.

Holly - I have to agree with Erika re your employer. I've been very lucky in that my employment for the 11.5 years was the ideal job, and now I've lucked into another ideal position.  Very much for their employees' happiness and well-being.  Keep your resume polished up, and keep your eyes open.  You never know when that plum position will fall into your lap.  BTW - Fantastic workout for you this a.m.!!

Got in my 5 miles w/10 30-sec hill sprints in the middle of it all.  It's amazing what a couple of days rest can do for ya.  I still feel a bit tired, but nothing like last week.  And after my massage yesterday, I slept through the night and didn't wake up with any back pain.  Yea!

Started my new part-time job today.  Everybody here is really nice, and the plus side of things is I knew people before I got here as I will be working with one of my best friends.  So it wasn't like I was walking into a place completely blind.  I have this HUGE computer screen in front of me, which is way cool, and a brand new computer bought just for little ole me. 

Have a great day, folks.

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Mariposai

I can't wait to get back to reality. While being in DC is fun,....the work that goes with it makes my mind spin.

Ni Hao Econo, our traveling sistahh.

0 running. 10 hours of sitting and more to come before the day ends.

The posie boys are sure having a blast

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

evanflein

Mariposai, what are you doing in DC? A conference? Meetings? I can't remember, but that's very cool you took your menfolk along with you, even if they're having most of the fun.

I made it out mid-day for 6.1 miles at what should be an easy pace (8:47) but felt more like GA or harder. Must not be recovered from Sunday. And I guess there is this thing about going for a run when you're home sick... 

Back in PA for a long, long time.  Well, really only until school's out on Friday, but it'll be the most consecutive nights I've slept in my bed at home since June.  I'm not exactly looking forward to this whole transition from weather-sunlight-tides-driven time to schedule-driven time, but I'll make it work - during the week, anyway.  Wink

Started September well by running 4.5 and walking 1.0 on the boardwalk this morning.  First time I've run two days in a row since before I fell off my bike, and no ill effects so far.  Stretched a lot as per PT's orders.

Teresa - thanks for sharing about your DDs letter to her teacher;  one of my biggest frustration is that I know so many kids have those kinds of concerns, but with the numbers I have, it's so hard to even know about stuff like that sometimes, let alone deal with it

Holly - I have to agree with what Erika said about your boss.  She's not only a troll, but a bit of a dinosaur, too.  With all of this newfangled technology stuff, surely you can get the work done even if you're physically at her beck and call during office hours.  Of course, frustration with her might be something that inspires your fantastic running?  Wink

I don't like the "rule of running shoes," either.  Nor do I like it's evil little friend, the "rule of mascara."  I no sooner find one that's not down my face before I even get to work and they take it off the market.

flomotioncoaching.com

Holly let me third what evanflein and fatozzig said about your boss.  I too hope you find a better employer in the not too distant future.

Mtnchk1 Uhem, uhem?  You think that putting an uhem in front of 34º makes it alright?  It is just September 1!!!!    Where is summer?

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Everyone keeps talking about these cooler temps ... we have them too but unfortunately this week I won't be able to take advantage of them.  On each of my scheduled run days I have something else scheduled in the mornings so I can't get out until 1130 or 1200.  Oh well.  I guess fall is just around the corner too ... several of ya'll mentioned falling and color changing leaves.

Ran intramurals today, I kept it reigned in so that I wouldn't overdo it, especially with the 5k coming up on Sat.   Ran 3.15 mi starting off at MP pace and then threw in 2x.5mi repeats at 6:30 pace to practice my turnover for Saturday but not go all out today.  Ended up with a 6:57 average though and a 21:55.  Ran MP in between the repeats and on the ends.  I did pick up the last .15 again to about 6:15 pace just to simulate pushing on Sat.  Was the first female again and this time I was 27th/132 OA.  I think if I was racing it I would have broken the top 20.

It was pretty cool hearing some of the guys after the run talking about trying to keep up with me (during the .5 mi repeats) and them saying they had to just let me go

Happy Wed runs tomorrow!

rs

Troy Strawberry Festival 10k - 6/7/09 - Goal 46:xx -->46:18!!; Americana 5k - 7/4/09 - Goal 21:xx-->21:12!!; Brookville 5 miler - 7/25/09 - Goal-->34:xx-->36:21; Crim 10 Miler - 8/22/09 - Goal sub-1:15-->1:14:14!!; Alter 5k - 9/5/09 - Goal 20:xx-->20:32; AF Marathon - 9/19/09 - Goal sub-3:38 (PR)--> 3:41 (BQ)
                      Teresadfp

One day at a time

What a fun XC meet it was!  I told my boys they have it EASY compared to their mother, who now has TWO kids to stress out about when they run!  I volunteered to record names of the girls as they finished the first race.  Whew, exhausting!  Some of those kids ran so hard they could barely gasp their names out, and then I'd have to ask them to repeat themselves if I didn't understand them!

It was 69 degrees and sunny - a perfect day.  This is our home course, a very challenging, hilly route through the woods.  DS17 came in 2nd overall, in 10:15 (the course was just under 2 miles).  He was actually happy with his time for a change!  DS14 ran in the JV race, and finished in 16:00, which is a HUGE accomplishment for him. He was 61st out of 116 (boys and girls).  I am so proud of him!  He said a couple of years ago, he ran 1 mile of that course in 13 minutes.

Watching these races makes me so proud of teenagers.  Especially the ones who come in towards the last.  They give it their all!

Top 'O the World!

Mtnchk1 Uhem, uhem?  You think that putting an uhem in front of 34º makes it alright?  It is just September 1!!!!    Where is summer?

weeeelll, it IS Sept 1st....which means cooler night temps in the Mtns = perfect peaches (& we luuuuv perfect peaches on our post run waffles!) & changing aspens...3-4 wks to full color! beeeoootiful Fall running weather just around the corner, etc.etc.etc....  

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
                          evanflein

My DS' XC meet was good too! The clouds cleared earlier and it turned into a wonderful afternoon. Our school came in second even though we had the first kid across the line (by a wide margin). DS1 didn't push too hard because he's been sick, but he put on a kick that was the strongest of anyone out there today. I got a picture of him coming up to the line, and he was moving so fast. Wish this was a video... he was just blasting to the finish!