Masters Running

10/6 Runs and RR readings (Read 405 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

I’m a little behind, with no internet service at home at the moment.  I don’t know why, and just don’t have time to bother with it yet.

7.65 miles for me today in 44°, including 5 x 1000m w/400m recoveries.  Back to full darkness for my entire runs again.  Running short on time, I did these intervals, not on the nice smooth bike trail, but zigzagging back and forth on poorly-lit residential side streets, dodging potholes and cracks in the asphalt in the shadows.  I need to remember to carry my flashlight next time, or buy a headlamp.

Interval paces were:

4:52 (7:51)

4:49 (7:46)

4:43 (7:49)

4:51 (7:49)

4:52 (7:51)

I did a couple 50m striders during the WU, and then a couple more after the intervals, and during the last one I suddenly got a sharp pain in my right knee.  Sudden sharp pains scare me.     Especially 12 days before my target marathon.  I walked a minute, then jogged a bit.  All seemed fine, so I picked up the pace and then WHAM there it was again.  I immediately stopped running and walked the short distance home.  Now, hours later, after icing and rest, it seems fine, just barely twingy, and I’m not limping.  So maybe I’m just being paranoid.  Keeping my fingers crossed it turns out to be nothing but taper madness.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

dg.

((( Tramp's twinge)))

Perch, nice run.  hard for me to see that as cautious!   What is the problem with your knee?  MIne was twinging again this morning too, but quietly.  I tried to play with form a little. 

lamerunner, I've had times when the elliptical was a victory.   seemed odd to me too! 

Teresa, belated congrats on your 1/2! 

Karin, I'm glad you aren't having any pain.      I think that was a really good bridge description.  could just feel it.  eek.

Sue it's good to hear from you!  I've been wondering if you were ok.   .. I have a hard time keeping up too.  Nice run this morning.   Happy taper!    oh.. i had 1 nice tomato, picked it & waited to eat it because I had some from the farmer's market.  & then it went bad. 

Holly, they're crossed.

7.11 miles this morning at a 10:01 pace.   37F. 

Good still morning here in MST!  We're just back from the Cities (oops, sorry to bring up a touchy spot) and I'll do a little separate post to encourage everyone to remember about the TC Marathon next year, with Ribs as a Medtronic Global Hero.  It is really an amazing program. 

D. had a great run--we ran the 10 miler and he finished in 1:48, feeling really good.  I think he can get faster, if he wants, but as long as he's having fun, that's the point.

It was lots of fun being around all the baseball mania.  Sunday after the race, we went to a matinee at the Guthrie, which is literally a stone's throw from the Dome.  We strolled on down there after our show--lots of excitement!

Gnashing my teeth over the game today--it starts at 3 pm our time, what a goofy time for a tie breaker!  I'm feeling a bit fevered, I think..........

grins,

A

Masters 2000 miles
        lamerunner

Back from another exciting hour on the elliptical. Feels good to sweat anyway, not enough time today for a long chlorine fest.

Tramps, Karin is right about that bridge; it is really weird. Especially the second loop when you start worrying you are losing your faculties! Baystate is quite fast though; it was not for me the year I ran it but I was quite sick. ( and yes, sometimes I am quite dumb)

Glad to see the speedy marathon recoveries. Back to the salt mines....

Tramps

I suddenly got a sharp pain in my right knee.  Sudden sharp pains scare me.     Especially 12 days before my target marathon.  I walked a minute, then jogged a bit.  All seemed fine, so I picked up the pace and then WHAM there it was again.  I immediately stopped running and walked the short distance home.  Now, hours later, after icing and rest, it seems fine, just barely twingy, and I’m not limping.  So maybe I’m just being paranoid.  Keeping my fingers crossed it turns out to be nothing but taper madness.

Gee, does this sound familiar (see my earlier post).  I think it's just that time in the training cycle where it's easy to overdo it--and not worth the risk.  Key priority is to get to the start healthy.  Hope all is well tomorrow.

CNY & Lame--thanks for the bridge warning.  When my legs start getting wobbly, I can blame it on inadequate civil engineering. 

Be safe. Be kind.

Mariposai

Let me see, it is almost 3pm Aamos time...I hope the game doesn't give her a heart attach.  It is so great to hear that D. is running strong once again.

slow, how is the shin today. Holly, be careful with that knee pain. Smart move tramps. Look at peerch's great tempo run today. Teresa, you are one wise woman. How is begarcito doing today? I am so envious of Erika....she is going to see Ribs and the Saint. Great 7 miler dg, only two weeks left...and you are still looking good.

Today was track workout day. 10 total miles with 6x1000 sandwiched in the middle.

1x1000m at 5:14 (8:26) with 90 sec. intervals each.

4x1000m at 5:11 (8:21)

1x1000m at 5:08 (8:16)

My goal was 1000m at 5:05, which is the pace the McMillan calculator says I should be running these 1000ms. No matter how hard I focused and tried to hit the pace I was never able to hit it.

Oh well, it was a great workout nonetheless and I had fun with it and that is what it counts this late in the ball game. NYC is just around the corner.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Oh dear!  We are seriously tweaking, aren't we?

Tramps and Holly, baby those knees!  The training is in the bank.

On that note... I rolled over and slept an extra hour this morning instead of running that 8 miles with 3 x 1's in the middle.

AAMOS!

Darn it!  Now Ralphie says that rocket he's been working on might launch the same weekend as the MCM!

So. Chances are we won't be there to cheer for the MCM runners.  Darn it.

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

Groundhogs Day,

3 miles 

Go Tigers!

Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

wildchild

Carolyn

Hope the twinges go away for the taper madness crowd! 
                    I'm jealous that Holly and Karin get to run together tomorrow.

Amy, so glad you and DH had fun in the twin cities and D's running well.

Out for 6.1 miles on a beeeutyful day  - mid 50's, sunny, and a Colorado blue sky, with leaves turning yellow and red.  Our aspen leaves at home are all gone already, but down here in the flatlands the leaves are at their peak color.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Managed a 45-minute walk today - first exercise since before I got the flu.  I felt so good to move, but I was wiped out an hour later.  Early to bed with hopes of a short run tomorrow.

Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

Sue - Yep, Steven King's "The Stand."  Did you ever read that?  Sucker's huge.  Could be used a doorstop.  The movie should last me through a couple of sessions in the shed/weight room.  I think it's something like 3 hours long.  And it has Gary Sinise, who isn't all that hard on the ole eyes - then or now.

Okay - off to bed.  Nite.

Leslie
                        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Worked a double shift Monday night - thought i made up for it with tons of sleep last night - even went back to bed after my youngest went off to school tuesday morning so was hoping for a decent run..........unfortunately 9.2 miles felt like trudgery...........overall avg pace wasn't bad 10:19 total time 1:35:01 but every mile was great effort and paces were all over the place   fastest mile was mile 2 at 9:37, slowest mile mile 8 at 11:11  --only the first 3 were sub 10's .........oh well - no more double shifts before my 1/2 marathon that's for sure!!

hope all the aches and pains clear up!!

denise