Masters Running

3.12.13 - Tuesday Daily (Read 50 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Jlynne, I so hoped to hear better news from you, and I am so sorry that you are not getting any relief. Can the insurance co's decision be appealed? What is the doc advising that you do next? Whatever direction you go in, I'm rooting for you!!

TomW, you always have such a great attitude here that you must really be hurting to go on even a mini-rant. I was going to say "I feel your pain," but the fact is that I don't. But I do have a good sense of your frustration, and I hope that passes. Meanwhile, take from us whatever you need.

Karin - 1,000 situps a week?? My abs hurt just thinking about that!

Dave, 'mud season' is always the worst, but it morphs into the season when everything is in bloom, and that'll slap a smile back on your face.

OM - nice skirt story. I sense you're a bit pleased with your running these days...

Byill - have a kickass time at the wedding!

Nancy, I'm glad the new shoes and the sleeve are working out so well. Keep up the good work.

Denise, we have well water, and are on town sewer, and we think it's the best of both worlds. Congrats on losing your septic!

Lamerunner, I'm glad you're finding other activities to fill the running void. I hope you'll find something that you like as much.

Hi Rondog. Nice run yesterday, pasty legs and all.

C-R, I don't know where you'll be in northern New England today, but chances are good it'll be raining. Sorry about that.

Troy's getting a new plane, and a run and dinner with Mariposai! Doesn't get much better than that!

Today is voting day for most towns in NH that have a "Town Meeting" form of government. We vote on everything from the town budget to a new garage for DPW, a new sidewalk on some street, and various town officials. It takes some work to keep up with all this stuff, but I love our participatory form of government.

Yesterday I woke up late, and today I was wide awake at 3:30 - go figure. I went out for a relatively leisurely 6 racewallking miles. It was 40F, so I got to wear shorts for the first time in a while, which was nice. I felt good during the workout, but was seriously achy when I got back. So after stretching, etc., I got out my friendly foam roller and used it to try to open things up again. It'll be interesting to see how the day goes.

Have a Tuesday!  Smile

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

C-R

Hey Jay and all to follow.

At least you're getting out there and hitting the streets. That's good.

No rain Myers yet so I ran a little over 6 miles in some pleasant weather.

Now off to the clients.

1000 sit ups? Wow

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

New skirt in town

I sucked in my belly in front of the mirror today, and that was the extent of my ab work for the week.

8.4 miles today, with 6x800m repeats.  I want a nap now...

--Robin

NO  MO MELANOMA! Help me run 26.2 miles and raise $5000 for the Melanoma Foundation of NE.  Visit this page to learn more:  http://tinyurl.com/NO-MO-MELANOMA

Hey kids and thanks for the start Jay!

1,000 sit-ups a week isn't so bad when you spread them out over seven days. I also do them in segments: 25 of one kind and then switch to another (bicycles, crunches, etc) Yes, abs are sore, but so far okay after two weeks in on this. Of course people look at me oddly when I drop to the floor in the middle of the airport and do sit-ups in my execu-drag with a cast on my foot. JUST KIDDING!

Napping is right Robin and you are in luck!  http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/12/national-napping-day-tweets_n_1339588.html

shadow runner

The Shirtless Wonder

Been a while.  I don't do 1000 crunches a week, more like 300-500 on a good week along with 2-4 sets of 50 push-ups - but haven't had a good week in a long time.  It is more like 100-200 crunches and 200 push-ups total these past few weeks.

4.8 miles today in the rain this morning [pre-dawn] with temps around 51F and windy.  It was a tempo run so I kept pace below <8 min miles.  After work yesterday [and most days] I really needed it.  I also needed the speed work based on Sunday's 5K, where I went out too fast and almost puked on first mile.  Only to come in 6th in my age group which was probably only 8 guys with a very flat course.  Did I mention I hate 5K's. Wink Kidding.

Have a great day.

Joe Suder

Nulla camisia et nulla problematum 

Mike E

MM #5615

Good morning!

I think Karin is very smart to do a variety of ab exercises.  I used to do just plain old sit-ups...many plain old sit-ups.  When they treated me for my Achille's Tendonitis, I was told it was caused from my body being unbalanced because my frontal abs were overpowering everything else and was, somehow, transferring some additional strain on my Achille's.  Well, I thought they were full of you-know-what but I played along with them and I started doing some of their goofy stretches they gave me to get my hips back in place. I also started mixing up my ab workout to hit them from different angles.  Over the last two years, my Achille's have been feeling better than they have in a very long time...so I guess whatever I'm doing is helping.  Before a run, I do a series of warm-ups--not stretches--where I do 2 sets of 50 to 100 bicycle crunches.  After my run, I do my stretching where I do another 2 sets of 50 to 100 crunches or side crunches or leg lifts or some sort of ab exercise.  So, like Karin, I do not get down and do 400 sit-ups at a time, but I will do 200 to 400 ab exercises in a day.  Anyway--I know I usually go into way too much explaination on things but I just wanted to make the point that--as with everything else--you have to be carefull about going overboard with anything.  I could tell you the story about why my shoulders don't stay back the way they should, too, but one lengthy story is enough for the day.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Today I have intervals: 2 miles at HM pace, 2x1 mile at 10k pace, and 2x800 at 5k pace. That should be interesting. I think I will do the 2 miles on the road and the 2x1 mile and 2x800 on the track.

Have a good day.

Mike E: what is a bicycle crunch?

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Of course people look at me oddly when I drop to the floor in the middle of the airport and do sit-ups in my execu-drag with a cast on my foot. JUST KIDDING!

Napping is right Robin and you are in luck!  http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/12/national-napping-day-tweets_n_1339588.html

It sounds like a good way of not having people sit too close to you in the airport.  That extra seat can be nice to have Wink

4 miles in 42° this morning.  first run in shorts in quite a while.  Definitely in the pasty legs club, too.  Thought I was going fast and found I was at about the same pace as during the 12.6 on Sunday. Confused I did get the last couple of miles to lower the average, but I guess there's still a little while before I get really used to getting longer.

when i got back from my run, DS told me that Max the dog had been coughing all night.  So I waited around for a while to see how bad it was and of course he didn't cough.  Finally when I got out of the shower, he finally produce--sort of a doggy hairball along with a good hack.  sounded really pleasant.  fortunately our vet is right at the end of our street and starts seeing folks at 8.  Took Max in, and of course, he didn't cough again.  So he got a good checking out and a prescription for Robitussin DM gel-caps Smile.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

King of PhotoShop

I don't do situps, but do a lot of ab crunches, about 500 a week or so.

Mariposai, if you left that naan sitting by my plate no one would get any. I love that stuff.

I wonder if the PF sleeve the podiatrist got for Heme was the Feetures! one.  I could have given her one and saved her money.  Now I've given them all away and have none left.

Ended up taking the day off yesterday, a rarity for me, but it was the best thing I could have done. Got in 7+ miles at a very comfortable pace this morning.  What a gorgeous day in North Texas, no wind and not a cloud in the sky.  Spareribs

Hi Ribs!  Not Feetures, but Darco.....

Seems to be working for me pretty well.  I like that there are no toes in it.

Robin, I'm with you on the abs and mirror thing!

30 minutes of spin this morning..... had to cut the class short to do a teleconference.  No time for abs.  I think I need to block my calendar better to keep this from happening.  First things first!!!

.....Nancy The road to hell is paved....... run trails!

Hello good people. I'd like to apologize for being whiny yesterday. I don't mean to be a downer on the forum. Will take a short recess, lurk and try to come back soon with happy news Smile

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Of course people look at me oddly when I drop to the floor in the middle of the airport and do sit-ups in my execu-drag with a cast on my foot. JUST KIDDING!

Something tells me you're not really kidding.... Wink

6.09 glorious miles in the rain today, and yes Jay, in a skirt! Super easy recovery pace, which I've really learned to love. The local coaches in my area look down on me for running so slowly (one has actually said to my face that slow running will only make a good slow runner), but I'm not buying that. This is also the same guy who frowns on running tons and tons of miles, calling them junk. "All you need is your speedwork, your tempo and your long run" is what he's brainwashed everyone around here into believing. Of course his specialty is the mile, so what does he know advising marathoners and beyond??

Mariposai

OrangeMat, don't pay attention to them! Your training is going terrific btw.

Spareribs, I found this great recipe for naan on the web. I have been making naan bread for years, but this batch was the best. It uses pizza stone to bake.

Shadow-runner, I don't think you are the only one who hates 5k! They are too painful for my taste Smile

Troy, funny, I know the Grillo family. My DH and I are old time friends with them. Don't worry about showing up at the last minute, we are very flexible.

No running yet, but will go to the gym after work for a gym date with my DH.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Doc Robin, neat video.  TomW, sorry to hear of your setback.  breger, looking forward to pictures of your son's wedding and your attire.  Dave, sorry to hear you've been down.  It's good to hear from heme, lame, and shadow.  rodog, welcome.

Nice long runs for stumpy, Holly, Mike, Jack, breger, mari, wild, and evan.  Good job on the speedwork for Jack.

This morining, it was in the low 30s and there was some wind.  I got in 5 miles at a 10:30 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

New skirt in town

OMG, my beloved Mizuno Wave Creations have just come out in some krazeee colors!  I needed a new pair, and expected just my usual meek, nondescript shoes, but lookee here!

WHEEEEE!  I'm gonna run FAST in these!

--Robin

NO  MO MELANOMA! Help me run 26.2 miles and raise $5000 for the Melanoma Foundation of NE.  Visit this page to learn more:  http://tinyurl.com/NO-MO-MELANOMA