Masters Running

any happy running on grateful Memorial Day 2016 (Read 35 times)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

thanks to turning 26 after processing but before induction,

I never thought getting to run marathons for 40 years

would be one of the things I'd be grateful for 50 years later.

Too many graves of kids born with me in the mid-forties,

to say nothing of the mid-eighties, mid-teens, etc.

Let's do a run for them.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

...Amen to that tet///........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Definitely need to remember.  Not too many military folks in our families, but my nephew just got re-deployed with the Rangers and I need to check with DS about the details.  The 37000 flags on Boston Common, representing all Mass war dead in all wars, are a sobering reminder of the costs over the years.

5.1 miles this morning.  Nice weather, not too hot.  Hill hasn't subsided yet.

Happy rest of Memorial Day to all.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Mike E

MM #5615

Thanks for starting us like that, tet.  It is a privilege to live in a country where so many brave men and women have given their lives for our freedom.  I take it for granted all the other days of the year, so it's nice to have one set aside to remind me how blessed I am.

I'm still not running, but I would take running a marathon every day over what Debbie is putting me through, this weekend.  New bushes, flowers, cleaning out the shed, putting together playground toys, the list goes on and on and on.  And it's not like she's in the house with her feet up--she's right there with me the whole way.  She just keeps going and going and going!  She just went to the store, quick, to get a few things...as soon as the tail lights were out of sight, I dashed in here to take a quick break.  She's a true taskmaster!

Okay--I'd better get going before Sgt...I mean Debbie gets back.  See ya!

I take it for granted all the other days of the year, so it's nice to have one set aside to remind me how blessed I am.

How very true Mike. I went to the cemetery today to visit my mom and dad, and the flags on all of the veterans' graves were a sight to behold. We are truly lucky and I wish I was better at remembering this.

Sounds like Debbie has a full "honey do jar" for you to conquer Mike. Hang in there!

Ran almost 5 this morning, then came home and played in an 18-hole golf tournament with DH. I was on track for one of the best rounds I've shot in a really long time, until I got to the 18th hole. Hit my ball in a sand trap and it took me 4 shots to get out!  That was a bad way to end a pretty good round. Oh well, I got to spend some quality time with my wonderful DH, the weather is great and I don't have to cook dinner tonight. It's all good...

Enjoy the last day of your holiday everyone!

Flyby post.  Will catch up later tonight.  Ran 10 miles at Bridle Trails.  Fastest 10 miler there I have done in a long time.  Yesterday I ran 5.2 miles near my cabin, the loop that has a mile of steep hiking in it.  Good training for the relay.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Sayhey! MM#130

Thanks tet.   Day of remembrance.  Especially like "running on grateful."

Tried to do that on my slow and warm 12 miles today.

counting the blessings,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

wildchild

Carolyn

Running on grateful here, too!  12 miles on the trail up Bergen Peak and back, over in Evergreen.  My knee feels pretty normal today, but since I'm just getting back to regular running, 12 miles is hard work!  But I'm loving every minute.

Here's a handy chart of prime numbers to  plan your run for tomorrow:

2      3      5      7     11     13     17     19     23     29 
                       31     37     41     43     47     53     59     61     67     71 
                       73     79     83     89     97    101    103    107    109    113 
                      127    131    137    139    149    151    157    163    167    173 
                      179    181    191    193    197    199    211    223    227    229 
                      233    239    241    251    257    263    269    271    277    281 
                      283    293    307    311    313    317    331    337    347    349

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Thank you Tet for that post, I should remember to remember more often.  I didn't make it to any of the ceremonies in town, but am thankful that they still honor those who served in a public way. Thanks for the prime numbers chart, wild child. I don't even know what my total is so far this month, just know it is going to be the highest of the year.

Yoga this morning was quite a workout for me. I rarely stretch enough after running and it shows.  The class was just me, me and the instructor. I need to schedule this more often but it seems I make running more of a priority, but I could do yoga in the rain, couldn't I?

Yesterday I bought a bunch of plants and that heavy bag of dirt at Walmart. Later last night I noticed that my Garmin Vivofit fitness band was gone!  I decided to go back to Walmart and look for it. Found it right there on the concrete next to that stack of garden dirt that I struggled to lift. MikeE I feel your pain too. I planted all that stuff around the house and am so tired, heading out for a pontoon ride now.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

Dave59

I ran 5 miles at the park, then sat in and around the condo pool for a while. Must have wasted the rest of the day because it's 8:17 PM and I don't remember doing anything else.

I need 3.34 miles tomorrow to hit a prime number. I was planning on 2 miles before driving to the office but I may go for the prime.

Super bright pass of the ISS in about an hour for us here in this geographical region.  Should be clear enough that they can see me waving.

Running on grateful here, too!  12 miles on the trail up Bergen Peak and back, over in Evergreen.  My knee feels pretty normal today, but since I'm just getting back to regular running, 12 miles is hard work!  But I'm loving every minute.

I did the Bergen Peak trail a few times last year. it's a nice course and I liked the view on top.

Ran Bolder Boulder 10K today, first time since 2001. Ran 38:31, maybe as high as top 3 in 50-59 age group, but  that's preliminary.

I am grateful to all that served this Memorial Day and all days. The country does indeed owe our military men and women an unpayable debt.

No running for me today. But I did catch up with American Grit aftering hearing that Mariposai's friend Clair is on the show. Personally, I do not think it is anywhere near as good as The Amazing Race. But, it is fun to watch Clair in the competition. Gives me someone to route for, even if I have never even met her! So far, Clair and her team are rocking it!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Mariposai

thanks to turning 26 after processing but before induction,

I never thought getting to run marathons for 40 years

would be one of the things I'd be grateful for 50 years later.

Too many graves of kids born with me in the mid-forties,

to say nothing of the mid-eighties, mid-teens, etc.

Let's do a run for them.

I sure did a run for them.

16 miles of it.

Thanks for such a thought provoking post.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

SteveP

I agree, Tet. Let's show some respect.

MikeE... There have been times when I've considered my job a much needed break.

The weekend has been pleasantly active. Friday evening, I met an outstanding couple face to face. I doubt I could get enough of Erika and Peter.

Thankfully, they did not mind me and the mutt hanging around for Erika's race Saturday where she kicked @ss. She looked very determined at the 1/2.

It may not have been IRC, however, the conditions were not bad.

What a privilege it was too meet these two.

The rest of Saturday was spend on our version of MikeE's honey do list.

Sunday, Tag and I hit the trails for a few miles.

I don't know what the heck this is. It's kewl.

Monday AM, DD # 1 woke us up and asked when we were headed to the race. What race?

The cross country coach had discontinued the annual Memorial Day 5K.  Last week, another teacher picked it back up. No time for coffee. Let's go!!! It was a fun little color run.

Noah wouldn't go until his sister, Tag and I caught up.

I wish I knew how to motivate GS, (and maybe I shouldn't). He likes races, but isn't the least bit competitive.  We did have fun.

Pretty impressive finisher medals for a thrown together event.

SteveP