Masters Running

Saturday, December 12th Daylies .... (Read 377 times)

dg.

what a beautiful picture!!  at first I thought it might be Harriet's perennials, then saw evryday posted the link (thanks)... just sort of skimming backward today, again.   I hope to get back later & catch up a little more.

Jeanne, the TM is harder for me too.  and at the same pace seems harder. does that make any sense?

(((( )))) to all that need them!

yes I agree. very happy to see everyone that's here today. 

Tramps too bad about your race.

wanted post today's run then will walk with Sadie & so on and so on.  I waited till 10:30, and I hate that!  It was an experiemnet, and it warmed up to 17 by that  point.  I though, why run when it's 13 when I can have a heat wave?  Answer.. because I want to stop before I hit one mile.   It went ok, though. Was sunny & not too windy either which is such a bonus.  Still working on my version of low heart rate. 13.15 miles, av. pace 10:17 not counting fuel stops, max pace 8:59.  ahr for first 8, 159 (it counts.  I just re-read a book that is really good for this), but higher for the last.  miles were 10:37, 9:59, 10:18, 10:11, 10:27, 10:30, 10:29, 9:27, 10:25, 10:21, 10:19, 10:11, 9:53. 

off to clean my bathroom mirrors.  :-)

Mariposai

16 miles with miles 5,7,9 at MP and miles 11; 13 at HMP. This was a hard w/o, I guess my heart was not into it. Mentally challenging, but it is done. It was 15f when I started and 22 when I finished

Now it is time to prepare a special meal for Hanukkah 

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Afternoon!

Perch – I really enjoyed your photo and description of yesterday’s run.

Nono – enjoy your trip!

Tramps – good luck tomorrow!  We’re having that same forecast (31° and freezing rain/sleet), and I’m was debating on doing my LR on the TM.  This is, btw, my worst fear of weather for a marathon, so part of me was debating on practicing on what to wear for such an eventuality. 

Sue – where are you?  I still need to know what “southwestern beans” are.

Erika – love the moose!

Mariposai – nice workout! 

Dg – I find it hard when I wait until later as well.

8 easy-paced miles for me this morning in 19° (ave pace 10:06, ave HR 124).

Spent all day doing tax training, now off to church so I can sleep in a little tomorrow.

Happy Saturday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Slo

Hey All

I'm trying to keep up with the daily threads.....problem is, after I get thru them I usually don't have much time to chime in.

Walt.....Very nice table. It looks like it weighs a ton......It'll outlast you and your grandkids!

I have three runs in now. Things are going well.....and slow.....and I'm slow....and packed on 11 pounds. At this rate I'll be making a screening call for the Biggest Loser....LOL

K.....My computer time is up.....there is a line of three kids behind me.

6.3 in 54:53....chilly out, but not as windy. LR tomorrow.

Treadmills....I am not a member of a gym, but the local high school lets residents use their fitness center and pool for $1.00/ visit....a pretty good deal. However, there is no sort of entertainment media provided.....no TV's, no DVD players, no music, no nuttin'. All my treadmill runs last winter were done while staring at a beige cinder-block wall. I used the opportunity to concentrate on form. Nevertheless, I could only stand 8 miles at a time.

I now have a treadmill, but don't have space for it....anybody else have theirs in the living room?

I hope the weather is with you tomorrow, Tramps.

Walt

And thanks for all the nice compliments on the table. Today I got an email from the client who said that it "surpassed her every expectation." Hurray!

what a beautiful picture!!  at first I thought it might be Harriet's perennials, then saw evryday posted the link (thanks)... just sort of skimming backward today, again.  

They're daylillies.....get it?  Daylies....daylillies.  I crack myself up.

Thanks Lou for helping me out with that picture.

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
              dg.

Slo I'm glad you posted... was wondering about you.  I'd forgotten about your work RA ban!  sigh.   seems there was something I was going to ask you about too.  but I forget what it was. 

Erika, aww.  Nope, wouldn't want to meet mamma moose.  I hope you enjoy your home alone time.  I like it too. and always think I'll get more done that I do...  you got a good start!

Walt, I used to have mine in my living room.   better than a beige cinder block wall!

Has anyone heard from Lamerunner? 

I hope Enke is ok. 

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Walt--I know I'm late, but that table is gorgeous.  I'm jealous, but I could never fit anything like that in my little basement shop (if there were space to begin with    )

Much behind after two days of travel with very early departures.  barely able to get dinner after getting home before bedtime. 

Sad day at our house--we had to put our 14 yo cat to sleep today.    over the past week, she got slower and slower and stopped eating.  We took her to the vet and they ran a bunch of test and found that there were an awful lot of things out of whack.  we went to visit her this afternoon and she never picked up her head.  Hard to do, but not a difficult desicion at that point.  She survived a broken pelvis and an amputated tail as a long term result from that.  good cat, even though I like dogs a lot better.  Hope the other cat won't be too lonely.  Maybe she'll start coming downstairs and she and Max will reach some sort of detente.

Slo--glad to see you're on the road again.  I think I found those same lbs and I better get moving soon before it gets worse.

BTW, I thought about daylilies, too.  My old aunt-in-law called them backhouse lilies (for being planted around the outhouse in the olden days, I guess)

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Evening, Gang - A little late to the party, but I showed up.

Three of us - okay, 4 with Charlie - running in the Forest today.  Coach Bill and I for 14, Karen had 16.  I was very happy with my performance, considering I just ran the 50k.  Kept up on my fluids, ate 2 bananas while I was out there.  My legs were really tired at the end, but not drained.

I then went over to Coach's house, and he showed me some exercises on the TRX workout system.  OMG!   This thing is going to give me a core workout like nothing I've ever done before.  It didn't help that my legs were already pooped.  Karen's been doing the exercises for about 2 weeks now, and she said her sciatica has stopped hurting.  Very nice to know!  I have a bad spot on my lower right back from a bad fall out of my shower a number of years ago.  Keeping up on my core exercises is the only thing that keeps it from really working me over.   I can see how these exercises are going to help.

Tomorrow - 12 "easy."

OH!  Our new bed was just delivered about 20 minutes ago.  Yea!!!!!  And since The Hub is out of town for the weekend, I get it all to myself tonight!

Leslie
                    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

evanflein

Slo, that's one of my biggest challenges when down for rehab... not packing on too many pounds! Good job on the consecutive runs, whatever the speed.

Walt, that is a good deal for treadmill "renting," but yeah the conditions are a little dreary. I don't have a TV either, but at least I have a big picture window. I can watch the scenery outside, which really doesn't change much, but sometimes if I time it right and I'm on long enough, I can watch the sun move across the sky (low on the horizon) and set while I'm running. That's kind of cool. Thank God for my iPod and solarmixes, is all I can say. My treadmill is down in the living room of our basement apartment, which is still not done/rented. At some point, the TM will be moved to the garage.

Kevin, that is sad about the cat, but sounds like he had a good life with your family. That's about the best you can give them. You may not be a cat person, but still they add something to your life. Our cat was best-friends-forever with our dog Cheyenne. When we had to put the dog down, the cat was so lonely at first, and now is much more affectionate with us, which is nice. 

Nancy... 16 miler sounded great even if your heart wasn't in it. Believe me, I'd love to do a 16 miler...!

As for me, I did get to the gym. No run, which is probably the smartest thing I've done in a long time. The foot feels pretty good, but not 100% in the arch area. Funny, the problem I've had with the metatarsals for the last couple of years seems to be gone. Now it's a tendon or something on the inner side above the arch. Just strange. Can't find anything about it on the web. 

50 minutes on the elliptical (6.07 miles) to help with my concern of losing endurance. Then 40 minutes in the weight room, trying to find whatever I can do that doesn't bother my left shoulder. Not happy with how that's feeling, and it's strange... I don't remember doing anything to strain it, and I'm right handed. Go figure, it's gotta be something, right?

Tramps

They're daylillies.....get it?  Daylies....daylillies.  I crack myself up.

I got it! 

Did you get mine?  Funny, huh?

<<cricket sounds>>

Oy.

Good news: forecast for tomorrow's race is now rainy and 34!  That means no ice! Woo hoo!

It's all relative, I guess. 

Be safe. Be kind.

Technically I can actually start the Sunday daily.   But, that just seems like taking advantage seeing as how it is 5pm here in Sydney.  Nothing like crossing the dateline to get a jump on the forum!  Then again as I am not running perhaps finishing off the Saturday daily (well there is evanflein who could still chime in) seems more appropriate.

DW and I arrived this morning.  First goal is to avoid sleeping until after dinner.  (Note DW currently sound asleep which is why I am here on the laptop.)  So we unpacked, took a shower, and headed out to walk around the area.  It worked until just a little while ago.  Oh well.  Sydney is beautiful even in my current state of jet lagged delirium.  As to what I am doing down here -- conference.  Fortunately that will not kill too much tourist time.

nonoruns funny reading you are looking forward to going into NYC.  My DW generally has to drag me in!  Favorite restaurant?  And the winner is . . .

Jlynne so what did you end up making?

Sarge, perchcreek, tselbs, and dg. he he he!  I am not going to even hint at what today's temperature is down here.  He he he . . .  Ah for once living in the north east in the winter does not seem so bad.  Of course I could be trying to survive half of what our AK friend reports in with! 

Tramps I hope the weather turns out better than you expect.  Good luck!

Mariposai nice 16 miler.   But tomorrow is international long run day not today (yesterday? oh rats this dateline thing is so confusing)  Well rules are rules, you have to do it again on Sunday.

Slo_Hand congratulations on getting three runs in so far!  I hope things continue to look good for you.  Of course, they will look better once those 11 pounds are gone!  No running I have found means going on the no eating diet.  Yea, it sucks.

WaltRB I used to keep a NordicTrack in my living room.  When guests would come we would fold it up and put it away.  But day-to-day it sat there next to the coffee table pointing to towards the TV.

evryday lol!  If you had not explained it I would never, and I mean never have figured it out!  I was busy scratching my head as to what hopeful4ever was talking about.

stumpy77 sad about your cat.  We put two down a few years ago.  My DW still will not let us get another one or two.

fatozzig the new bed just arrived and DH is out of town and that is . . . er . . . good?  Does DH know this!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

evanflein

Hey Twocat! Chiming in as called! I remember when DH and I went to New Zealand... after a seemingly endless flight to Sydney, and then a hop over to NZ, we got in a good workout at the hotel gym (which was hard... it sucked), then went walking around town. Anything to stay up and alert till local time said it was ok for early bedtime. I learned this a long time ago when we started these international trips... Get on local time asap! And a post-arrival workout is the best way to start that. Incidentally, that hotel gym was the worst I've ever seen but I credit it for getting me into running because that was the only thing we could really do together! And lovely trails near our hotel... it was great!

We had some pretty cold temps forecast for this weekend, but it really hasn't been too bad. Currently it's above zero at 10:36 pm so that's pretty nice! Might try a run outside tomorrow... foot feels pretty good so far tonight.

I got it! 

Did you get mine?  Funny, huh?

Tramps.....sorry I did not get it....until now! Yeah, it is a funny one.   But it's my bad... although I recognize the name, I did not recognize the face.   So just now I went back and looked.  Then I thought.....maybe....   I had to google Mayor Daley to see what he looked like.  

Good one!

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM