Masters Running

Finally I know what is wrong with me - No running for the next year (Read 263 times)

Well it was good news. No cancer...no herniated disc which could have been with me for a long time...but I was diagnosed via MRI today with an annular disk tear of the L5 vertabra. I have been told I cannot run for at least a year and NO impact sports. I can exercise moderately (swimming is something I can do) but pain must be my guide.

It was surmised that I have had this injury for a while and it greatly got worst. ( I ran my 1:20 half marathon's last year with the injury starting to make it's way in my disc). That's why I was limping the next day).

It's going to be tough for me to accept being fairly quiet on the exercise front but it's what it's going to take. They expect my weight and the mileage created the tear in the disc. It should heal fully and surgery is not an avenue they want to take as I am healthy with zero arthiritis and very thick disc cushioning.

I will keep you posted...on my recovery...What else will I do with all my energy.

Your buddy

Tall (Francois)

Recent Best times: None recently

evanflein

Sorry to hear it, but glad for a diagnosis! Not knowing is the worst thing about injuries like yours. You've got swimming as an option, and I assume biking? Lots you can do with that... look at what sort of shape Lance Armstrong was in even before he started running! Take care, and keep us posted on your progress, and what you're doing with yourself! How are those girls of yours??
      Slo

Aw man Tall........

How about cycling ?

One thing about swimming.....It's something I have in my back pocket if I ever have to give up running. Mentally, I think, with swimming I can take away the same thing running gives me. It engages my whole body and I can choose to concentrate on swimming or lose myself in my thoughts.

That being said.....I have no doubts that, after this is all done, you will be the same runner you have always been. Your a great athlete and you have a fantastic spirit.

My best wishes.

TammyinGP

I'm sorry to hear this news, but then it's also good to at least have a diagnosis and although I know you didn't want to hear that you can't run for the next year, that's awfully better than what some of the alternatives could have been.

I have no doubt you'll be an even stronger runner in the end with the cross training (swimming and hopefully biking) that you can do instead.

Thanks for letting us know and best wishes to you Tall!

Tammy

#artbydmcbride

"...What else will I do with all my energy."

Oops, sorry, got distracted.  Big grin    {{{Tall Runner}}}   heal up fast and be well!

Runners run

lamerunner

Very sorry to hear it Tall, but it is good at least to know.   Long term injury is frustrating. I now have a foot issue...

There may be a kick ass RA bike team in the making though... with all these injured folks.

Henrun

I have no idea what Ilene has in mind-LOL. When I had my foot problem earlier this year I bought an aqua jogger and enjoyed it combined with lap swimming. I know what you're going through but give it your best shot and return to running when your body allows it. Good luck

Maniac 505

Tall

sorry to hear this but it must be reasuring to know what is going on.  I know a year seems like forever.  I had to take most of '08 off,  I am still  a LOT slower then I was, but it is great  to be again running pain free,  I know it will be for you too.

Dave

Tramps

Tall,

Like other folks, I'm sorry to hear of this but I'm glad you've got a handle on what the problem is before it gets worse.  You're a competitive guy (There's an understatement!) so this will be tough for you, but you're a smart guy too and I'm sure you'll learn to adjust and keep the longer-term picture in mind as you face this new challenge.

Je vous souhaite bonne chance, mon ami.

Be safe. Be kind.

Wow, Tall, that's a bummer.  It is, however, better than the things you mentioned and there is something to be said about a diagnosis and a time frame.  Be patient as you cross train and heal.  Keep us posted as to how you are progressing and what you are doing.

TomS

wildchild

Carolyn

Sorry to hear you have to take a year off!  But you know what? A year seems like it goes by pretty fast.  Yesterday I ran a race I also ran last year, and everyone was saying it didn't seem like very long ago.  And our kids are all getting older just in the blink of an eye - my DD is a senior in high school already!  What grades are your girls in, Tall?

Good luck and speedy healing!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Thank you all for the good wishes...tough stuff.

My girls are my focus and have always been. They are now 12 and soon to be 14. My oldest Catie is in high school now....(ouch) and Tori is in grade 7. Amazingly good grounded kids with their own drummer and summer compassionate. They have taught me a ton.

I am hoping to take it easy over the next few months and get healthy and then hopefully tackle cross country skiing which is low impact and could mimic running. Of course I will take it easy...

This sucks but I appreciate everyone's support.

One day I do have to meet many of you since I owe many of you for supporting me in my early years of running 2004/05 and thru my divorce/dating (yep) and injuries. You can be sure I will be back at once I am healthy...  I have masters track records to break in the decathlon (-:

Best

Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

The year will pass.  Maybe faster than you think.  I am on month 7 of my running layoff.  You change what you do that is all.  But, in the end, it helps to keep in mind this is a pretty minor problem.  Compared with the many life threatening illnesses out there one that kills running temporarily is not so bad.  Best of luck with the year ahead.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

spacityrunner

Oh Tall...I am so glad you finally have an answer..thanks for letting us know what is going on with you and don't be a stranger around here.  I loved reading about your adventures..running and otherwise

Trails Rock!

wow -- so sorry to hear this but glad you have a diagnosis and can figure out ways to deal with it -- i'm sure you'll be breaking masters swimming races in no time!!  take care and enjoy your lovely daughters!!

denise