Masters Running

Race Reports for the weekend of May 5&6 (Read 35 times)

Tramps

Mari--nice pics!  That's a handsome bunch.  Glad you had a great day.

Be safe. Be kind.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

nice runnin' for fun, fitness and competition, everyone,

especially for the Bloomsday update.

Hard to forget Domesday. .

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Copied from a daily thread -- didn't know about this one.

RR for the Invest in Yourself 5K, Omaha, NE:

A busy week as we drove out to Omaha and back (1700 miles) to attend a weekend event that was a 60th birthday gift for my DW. But it also meant that after the big day of meetings on Saturday, I could sign up for the related 5K on Sunday morning. Compared to what was still coming down back home in Michigan, the weather was stunning: high 50s and sunny for the race, rising to high 70s that afternoon. My DW even made the sacrifice of getting up earlier than her usual to accompany me back downtown for the race, which started down near the river.

Geico was one of the sponsors, so we found this "race official" beforehand. Another sponsor was Brooks, and we both bought a pair of limited-edition Ghost 9 shoes the day before. I then violated a rule of racing by wearing the shoes for the first time in the race, but there was no harm done. (Note to RR Police: The above photo constitutes my fashion report.)

There were about 2000 people at the starting line, and it was truly an international field with runners from Asia and Europe present. The course was just through downtown Omaha, and even though I couldn't label it as "hilly," the first two miles were mostly a steady incline as we move away from the river, followed by a downhill final mile. My splits were on the order of 9:15, 9:10, and 8:38, which illustrates it perfectly. I was a bit disappointed in my 28:11, but with our hectic schedule and especially the meals we were able to get, I wasn't that surprised.

In any case, I was 2nd out of 24 in my AG and am sure I could not have caught the winner even on a good day. It was a really large field for the 70-74 AG, but in truth this was a combo run/walk and I was probably competing with a small subset. It was a great day for a 5K and we continued to talk about it as we headed back to our hotel to shower, pack and leave for home.

This is me with my friend Leo, who also showed up out there and took 2nd in the 75-79 AG. So a good day for Rochester Hills!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Mariposai

what a fun race report, Roachrunner .

Your DW is so lovely!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard