Masters Running

Friday's Daily, 10.25.13 (Read 42 times)

Dave59

Enke we're all adults here,

No comment.

But looking forward to SteveP's take on that statement, or even better, Avenger Dog's thoughts.

Mike E

MM #5615

Hey, Dave...umm...did you have anything do with setting up Healthcare.gov?  Just wondering...

Okay, I gotta go run.

Enke we're all adults here

That's HIGHLY debatable at times.

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

wildchild

Carolyn

Mike - Smile   I was wondering about your Hansons training - you said yesterday you've moved from the speed to the strength part of training - but your runs still sound pretty speedy!  How are the mile repeats and tempo runs supposed to be working more on strength?

Slo - if you don't ski, then Colorado or Wyoming in January would not be a good choice, unless you just like hanging out in the cold and snow!   If you can't manage Hawaii, which I think is a cool idea (50th state) you might consider Catalina Island, off the coast of California.  It would be warm in January, and feels like you're really away from it all, even though it's a short ferry ride from Long Beach.

I just got in from a really nice 12 mile trail run, at what I hope will be about MP for the Moab Trail marathon - a blazing 12:30 pace!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Henrun

Wasps, porta-pots, half Mary's and "adult films"- what more is there to say?

5 slow, grinding miles. Stopped at mile 4 to get a free ticket for an appearance by Elvis Costello at the New England Conservatory of Music where he was to receive an honorary doctor of music and give an interview. The hall was packed this afternoon ( as I rushed back via subway).

He was interesting and funny but I couldn't relate to his music and was bored, so I left early. I would have been happier to see his wife, Diane Krall (but the price was right)Smile

Mariposai

15 miles of the best yet fall foliage while meandering around the orchards to scout a potential half marathon route for the spring. It took me a bit long to finish my run since I stopped by the local winery and presented a business proposal to them on behalf of the Fit4life Coalition, who will be organizing the half mary.

My proposal: We start and end the half marathon at the winery, they help with with winning prizes and we bring them customers and promote our local winery, of which we are proud of.

----Deal made, I kept on running to finish my run.

Yeah, the owner of the winery said to me as I was living, wow...you are a great negotiator. I was thinking your idea was a not so good of an idea, twenty minutes later  you have my all excited about the event. Big grin.

Oh what fun it is to run!!!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Mike E

MM #5615

Mike - Smile   I was wondering about your Hansons training - you said yesterday you've moved from the speed to the strength part of training - but your runs still sound pretty speedy!  How are the mile repeats and tempo runs supposed to be working more on strength?

How the heck should I know?!  I'm just doing what the stupid book says.  No...actually...the Hansons training plan goes a lot by your VO2 max...if you know what that is, then you can adjust all your runs accordingly.  But, since I don't, I have been going by the charts that give your goal marathon time and doing those times for my runs.  But...and this is just the way my little mind works...I want to do a sub 3 hour marathon...2:59:59 would be just fine with me...so...to ensure that I train hard enough to get under 3, I have chosen the 2:50 marathon goal as my guide for the different training paces...makes sense, right?

So, to answer your question...speed work was a lot of short high speed runs with relatively long recovery periods.  Strength workouts are longer intervals with less recovery...and they're supposed to be done 10 seconds faster than goal pace...which is 6:40 for a 2:50 marathon...which makes the strength runs to be 6:30.  The tempo runs are supposed to be run at marathon pace...which is why I do those at 6:40...even though I really don't need to be going faster than 6:50 to get my true goal...which is why I'm sitting here with an ice pack on my left hip...

Anyway...a long run is on schedule for tomorrow...17 miles at a 7:17 pace.  I know...you thought the Hansons plan only had you doing 16 miles for a long run....well what they actually say is, your long run should not be more than 25% to 30% of your total weekly mileage...so, since this week is 61 miles...that allows me to run 17 miles....which is about 28%...

Okay...you made me think way too hard...I'm going to bed.

will run for popsicles

Two miles on a trail inhabited by rabid frogs. Now hurtling down an ink-black interstate at the mercy of a crazy woman on her 14th red bull. I hope brad pitt plays me in the movie.

Ps add the enchilada plate at rosa's to list of foods to be avoided an hour before running ...

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Ps add the enchilada plate at rosa's to list of foods to be avoided an hour before running ...

I didn't know you should avoid the food there too.

<<<(felina/felina)>>>

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

will run for popsicles

No kidding. Soon i'll be down to nothing but clif bars and tequila shots.

Psss great run, wildchild!! moab trails must make for an amazing marathon!

wildchild

Carolyn

Mo boy - I found my race report from last year's Moab trail marathon here :  http://www.runningahead.com/groups/MastRun/forum/ac8841ef7c7b423d916e5c11ac45830a/0

It was so awesome I managed to talk Holly into coming this year, and she talked 2 of her friends into joining her!  Smile  I'm really looking forward to it this year, and the forecast looks perfect!

And thanks for the explanation, Mike - dang, you're fast!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

will run for popsicles

wow! thanks for the link to the rr! That's even more amazing than i had imagined. 1,200 ft up in 1.5 miles? yikes! Scenery is such a real life postcard. I don't know how you resist just sitting down and basking in it. That's the odd thing about trail races sometimes, isn't it? Just want to stop and marvel.

gotta say that's a cruel trick having you balance on a rock after that kind of effort though. Tough act for you to follow this year ...

Mariposai

How the heck should I know?!  I'm just doing what the stupid book says.  No...actually...the Hansons training plan goes a lot by your VO2 max...if you know what that is, then you can adjust all your runs accordingly.  

I was wondering about VO2 max lately as well. But not sure if I want to fork out the money to get it tested.

BTW, I admire your dedication to the sport!!!

Enjoy your 17 miler tomorrow!!!

Check this out...

http://www.wikihow.com/Measure-Vo2-Max

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Marathon Maniac #957

and the forecast looks perfect!

Yup, I noticed that, too.....not like I'm anxiously checking it repeatedly or anything....Roll eyes

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."