Masters Running

Weigh not, want not.... (Read 371 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Drat!  Stoopid scale.  In spite of running 33 miles last weekend, and what I thought was careful, restrained eating (for the most part), I still managed to put on weight that I haven’t been able to lose.

Up 2 lbs this week.  And my pants are all tight, making it feel like even more.

And next week I’m barely running at all.

Last night was a typical example of my problem.  I had shown restraint all day, ate a light dinner, had just a couple Robin Eggs after dinner, went to soccer practice having had roughly 1700 calories for the day (within my goal for a running day).  Then, we got back, and DD wanted some ice cream.  I dished her up a bowl and took a small bite of ice cream.  Then I took 4 more bites of ice cream (probably ½ c. – 140 calories).  Then, right before bedtime, I found DS eating tortilla chips and I popped one into my mouth.  Then I had 5 more, and the last one I dipped into the bag of shredded cheddar cheese to top (probably another 150 calories). 

Every day I’m undone right at the end.  (sigh)

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Prince of Fatness

Must be the week for being up 2.  168.5.  There was definitely some Easter gluttony going on so I'm not surprised.

Not at it at all. 

Boy, can I relate... Package of instant oatmeal w/brown sugar with a glass of skim milk for breakfast.  Lunch, hard-boiled egg, can of water-packed tuna and some green grapes. Dinner roast beef, cooked carrots and mashed potatoes (my plate was not full) with a glass of white wine. Okay, I ran 6 miles and I ate healthy, so I must be entitled to a reward, right? Just 12 left-over jellybeans (that's one serving) for dessert. Oh - there's a few orange ones left in the bowl, they're my favorite. A couple more won't hurt, right?  Yellow - that's my next favorite color and there's only a few of those too..... Ended up almost clearing out the little candy bowl on the kitchen counter.

Up 1 1/2 pounds this week. I'm my own worst enemy, sigh.

evanflein

Jlynne, you may not be eating enough during the day. I know that's a problem I have. I've been trying to limit snacking during the day, just fruit and maybe yogurt, and I've been doing pretty well.But if I get too hungry in the afternoon, I'm just ravenous when I walk in the door and carrot sticks aren't gonna cut it. Last night, I ran right after work and was hungry when I started. By the time I got home at 6, I was ready to clearcut the pantry of any readily edible item.

I'm always down a pound or two after a real long run (was 138 on Monday) but I know that's temporary. I'm still hovering around 140 and feeling good so happy with that. I so wanted to be well under 140 before Boston, but I don't want to risk any "low energy" issues now. (but after last nights foraging... and yes dinner of salmon, brown rice, veggies and salad... I was 141 this morning. 2 batches of popcorn late at night might've been a bit much)

evanflein

This may or may not be the place to post this, but I just got called a kill joy. Heh.

Every now and then, someone brings "treats" into the office kitchen. Usually these are some store bought atrocity full of artificial this and that, trans fats, etc. Can't believe how people here scarf that crap down. So I started putting little "tent" signs up next to the stuff with the calorie counts, saturated and trans fat grams, etc. Then I'd add "enjoy, but be aware! one of these = 3 miles running" or some similar message. Today, someone brought in what looks like tollhouse chocolate chip cookies, done bar style and cut into pieces. Ok, yes they look yummy, and the pieces aren't very big. But I still think people should be aware of what they're eating. Go ahead and enjoy it, but don't pretend it's a free ride because you didn't bake or buy it (I swear that's what some people think). So I put a sign next to them that says "they look yummy, but are they worth the 250 or so calories you weren't planning on eating?"

Our admin just brought me the sign and said "Ok, knock it off, it's Friday and I want a cookie!" I said "Great, go for it and enjoy it. Just be aware of what you're eating, that's all." She stomped off in a huff. And I bet she had at least one.

Marathon Maniac #957

Erika -

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

#artbydmcbride

Dayum Erika, you would go nuts at my workplace next Tuesday!

We're holding a company-wide one of these:

Share Our Strength's Great American Bake Sale

Share Our Strength's Great American Bake Sale

Runners run

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

We're a country of contradictions, aren't we.  one group is fighting childhood hunger and there's the folks trying to end childhood obesity.  Please believe me, I'm not mocking either, equally important battle.  just noting a strange juxtaposition.  I guess in the end good nutrition is what's needed for both.

188 for the past couple of days, so down a bit.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

SteveP

(((((Holly)))))(((((Jlynne)))))

Erika

The bad news is...I'm 207....

The good news is, all the Easter candy is gone!!!

SteveP

Erika!  Ha!  . . . you realize that in some parts of this country doing that could get you tried and convicted of torture.

I'm a little late to the game this week, but I got on the scales this morning - - and weighed 150!!  W-T-H?!?!?  I better be retaining water for this weekend and all the salt intake.

Leslie
                      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

flatland mountaineer

Erika!  Ha!  . . . you realize that in some parts of this country doing that could get you tried and convicted of torture.

I'm a little late to the game this week, but I got on the scales this morning - - and weighed 150!!  W-T-H?!?!?  I better be retaining water for this weekend and all the salt intake.

Leslie I read someplace about weighing more after your long run day. So after running 50 mi race you'll probably be down to 120 by friday !

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Leslie I read someplace about weighing more after your long run day. So after running 50 mi race you'll probably be down to 120 by friday !

From your lips to my scales ears!!

Leslie
                          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance