Masters Running

Happy Halloween! 10.31.16 (Read 30 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

I have a lot of things to ketchup on today, so I only have time to tell my story and move on.

The half marathon in beautiful North Conway, NH (in a valley surrounded by the White Mountains)started off in nice temps (low 40s), but it was cloudy and very, very windy. The walkers and runners who needed an early start took off at 8:30. It was a group of only about 12-15 of us, and I gathered that most were runners. I got off to a decent start, and only had a couple runners in front of me. I didn't know how I'd do after Saturday's 5K, but my first mile was under 11:00, so I decided to try to keep it in the 10s for as long as I could. We headed south till a gradual turn around at mile 5. Then we were into the wind, and there were some really strong gusts coming across a few farm fields. The rest of the runners started 40 minutes after us, and the lead runner passed me in mile 7. Part of mile #9 was up an appreciable hill, and I slowed down there to just over 11 minutes. My hamstrings were starting to talk to me in a language that became more and more challenging to ignore. No matter what I tried, I couldn't get back to the 10s until close to the finish. And at times I wasn't all that sure I'd finish. Andy (Milktruck) cruised on by in mile #11, and it was a surprise, a treat, and a boost to see him. There was a short but steep hill in mile 12 on which I just couldn't maintain my stride at all. But I regrouped at the top and did my best to be quick the rest of the way. I finished, grabbed a water bottle, and headed for the massage tent. The guy there did some great work on my hamstrings, which I really, really needed and appreciated. I was the first racewalker in 2:24:10, which was my fastest time, by about 20 seconds, in about 5 times I've done this race. Based on how I felt in the last 3-4 miles, I don't know how I did that. At the award ceremony, I started talking to the lead female walker, and missed the AG awards. That was too bad, because I could have (and should have) helped MilkTruck celebrate winning his AG!

This morning, I had to get up early to take our weekend guest to Boston for a very early flight. So I've been up since about 2:30, and I wonder how long it will be before I crash and burn. Oh yeah - no workout today.

Have a greta Halloween!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Head Procrastinator

Nice going on your half, Jay and congrats to Milktruck on his AG win. Enjoyed the pics from yesterday.

Good on Holly hitting her 40 and Mariposai too. And Deez with 12.

Missed posting my weekend, did a nice hike with friends around Allmuchy mountain in Stanhope, NJ on Saturday, 32.6 mile road ride yesterday in the 70°'s just gorgeous!

Got in 30 mins run this morning, Happy Halloween, no costume here though.

~ My Profile~ The avatar is happy BOC wootcats

Marathon Maniac #957

Jay - Congratulations on your course PR and winning the RW division!  Is that your HM PR as well?

Hally - nice weekend of getting out to enjoy the weather!

No run for me today.  I decided that Monday and Friday swimming works best with my running schedule, so that's what I did.  18 laps (36 lengths) plus about 15 minutes of weights and core after.

The hardest part about taking up swimming is finding the time to work in the weights and core workouts.

DD tried out for the HS basketball team this weekend and made it, so here we go with the 6 days/week BB practice and game schedule until mid-February.  DD almost didn't try out, saying at the last minute that she didn't want to, but I am glad that she changed her mind (even though it keeps me running).  She loves basketball, and I know she would have regretted it if she didn't try out.

Go forth and conquer your Monday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

11.5 relaxing miles - perfect weather for an autumn rum

Holly congrats on the 40 mile week! Looks like I will see you and hopefully Paul in Phoenix.

Spooky Trails !!!

Kirsten

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

Jlynne, Congrats on 2nd in AG. Why didn’t stay to get your trophy? I like the 5 year age groups but our 10K (290 runners) switched to 10 year AG up to 80+. Older runners do seem more competitive nowadays. Our local farmers market had mostly pumpkins, gourds and squash. The apples were still kind of pricey for Honeycrisp.  So how was the chili cook-off? My three kids would all make the same kind (School Chili). Sorry about the Phoenix game yesterday, maybe you should sign up for the marathon and stomp all over their streets. It looks to be a fun group so far….

SteveP, I like your photos and comments. I’d like to come to your house for Halloween. Doesn't someone else decorate like crazy for Halloween, Stumpy or twocat? Not me, I may turn the lights out, head for the basement with popcorn to watch the Vikings.

Holly, I admire your determination to get back to running those miles.  You too Deez, nice 100 mile month.

Erika, that hill going up to your house probably has something to do with the lack of trick or treaters too.

Jay, Congrats, what a fine race you had with a PR and 1st racewalker! Why aren’t you on the top step in Milktruck’s picture? You too Milktruck with 1st AG (you forgot to tell us about that yesterday!).

Posie, 15 miles with steep ones in there, good for you. It’s so pretty there where you run.

Tet – Egads! Don’t you want that thing out of there, I sure would.

Nice hiking/biking for Hally too. Yes the 70 weather is hard to give up.

No running for me since Friday afternoon, what a lazy weekend. I did, however, start knitting a Christmas stocking for GS#4 born last January - nothing like procrastination for motivation. I was disappointed to find that a mouse had gotten into the other stockings. I remember finding a dead mouse in the basement this summer and sure hope it was the only one. Also, I’ve spent a lot of time tooting my horn this week. This orchestra music is trying to get the best of me but I think I am finally getting it. I am tempted to quit but there is only one clarinet on each part so, practice, practice, practice!

Four weeks and two days to go

One more stocking to go.....

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Doesn't someone else decorate like crazy for Halloween, Stumpy or twocat?  Not me, I may turn the lights out, head for the basement with popcorn to watch the Vikings.

yay, there IS something that you don't too along with all your interests and accomplishments.

Other goddesss too doing everything under the sun constantly amaze

those of us for whom running is pretty much it at this stage.

No wonder just running around a park for 12 hours seems easy.

Twelve hours of equivalent sleep for the first time I’m sure since I started having a memory of such things should have made up for Saturday’s 12-hour epic extravaganza, . . . but I’m still tired and too sore even to stand up without grabbing the edge of a desk, table or something.  whew.

However, if there was anything I don’t do that I wish I did it is Holly

starting a regular regime of swimming, . . . as if nothing else is going on in her life.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

Tet -   BTW, I am loving my Garmin bag!  It is the perfect size to bring legal-sized folders between work and home.

Starr - I love the stockings and now the orchestra too - you are amazingly talented!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

I do a lot of decorating for Halloween. I love having all sorts of wraiths and other spooks around the house. Best of all when Mariposai comes out for the Reach the Beach Relay she helps put up my Halloween village. Now that is a LOT of work and I am really, really grateful for her help! Heck, help nothing. She puts it up and I help! 

No running for me today. I did 9 yesterday. I have 6 on tap for tomorrow. Taper week continues apace. The weather forecast, that I am not checking every hour, says it will be cool and mostly sunny on race day in Indianapolis this Saturday. Or at least it did about 30 minutes ago. I should go check to make sure it still says that. Bye.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Happy Halloween good people! I hope no one gets "tricked" tonight!

Lots of shout-outs today. Congrats to Jay, Milktruck for their fine racing, and Holly for hitting the big 4-0 last week. Beautiful picture of Starr - and her Christmas stockings too! Sorry about the dead mouse though.

Hey Tet - time to go get a deep tissue massage!

Twocat - can you post some pictures of your Halloween village? I'll be it's spooktacular!

Well, the chili contest was something. DS #1 had the most votes with just enough hotness in his to have everyone declare his the most tasty. I swear DS#2 was trying to kill me. He didn't tell me what was in his, and I took a big spoonful. I broke out into an immediate sweat and had to grab a glass of water! When I asked him what was in it, he said "Oh, a 1/4 cup of chili powder, 4 jalapeno peppers, an onion, cayenne pepper...." I was up all night with indigestion!

4 miles this morning and a long day at school. All of the kitchen staff dressed up in costumes and we decorated the serving areas. I think the kids got a big kick out of it, and it's nice for them to see us as not brain dead, crabby lunch ladies all of the time

World Series tonight. Who's your bet to win?

pfriese

Easy 8 miles around town for me today. Other than that, just a quiet day here.

Paul

..hi guys//....home for the day, thought I'd check in

(been in knoxville since sept 19th)

two PoolRuns today and yesterday,

still

having BackTroubles,

so cutting back on the ''hilly'' knoxville greenways a bit

dd2 goes back to doc this thrusday,

so soon may get to come home AND SLEEP IN MY OWN BED.....ohboyohboy

good running to ya,

heading back to knoxville until Election Day......this one is Important....

........ps...let me know if you hear the Hoka Bondi-5's have been released

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

mrrun

Great racing over the w/e - all those awards awesome!

jlynne - our new england 65+ was started 25 years ago, primarily to push for 5 year age groups.  now, only very small races have 60+ and all large races (except Tufts 10K) have 5 year age groups.  Tufts has 10 year despite having 7,000 runners and having lots of complaints from fast women!

didn't run today, but walked in Arnold Arboretum while Henry and friend communed over pastrami sandwiches

Hi-Dee Ho, Friends

Congrats, Jay, on your PR!

I need to go see what Tet was up to for 12 hours over the weekend.

Starr - I found someone willing to teach me how to crochet.  We'll see how it goes.  In the meantime, I'm knitting my umteenth scarf. 

No running for me today, and since I slept in and didn't do my core/ST, I'll have to double up tomorrow.

Karen was in town this weekend, and she, Heidi, and I ran 12 miles at Headwaters, which meant lots of climbing, which I haven't been doing for the past 2+ months.  And since I'm in the early stages of low HR training, it was truly a lesson in patience, and at times my inner Ralphy kept trying to burst forth.

Halloween is the one time of the year I can get The Hub to go to the movies with me, so we're going to see "Deepwater Horizon."  A buddy of his who he grew up with and who went in to the Coast Guard and moved up into the higher ranks was the head CG person with regard to cleaning up that whole mess.

And now, sally forth into the rest of your week, friends ~~

PS - If any trail runners are interested in running the Mendocino 50k on April 22, registration opens tomorrow and will fill up fast.

Leslie
                            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance