Masters Running

Saturday, 6.4.16 (Read 31 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' (barely) everyone.

It's after 11:00 - where is everyone?

Being gluten-free made it easy to avoid donuts yesterday, thank goodness. Otherwise, there could have been trouble.

"I thought about slowing it down. That required me to take a longer back stride.  That in turn increased my pace with very little effort. I am wondering if the hamstring problems I had a few years ago have led me to shorten my back stride? Maybe thinking about my cadence now will make the longer back stride a habit I do not have to think about later." You could be a racewalker, Twocat! We have a short stride in front, with a longer one in back that helps facilitate a good toe-off to get that leg moving forward more quickly. Sometimes a longer back stride feels slower but, as you experienced, that is not always the case.

I left home at 6:15 and drove to Portsmouth (NH) for 8.9 RW miles on the New Castle loop in coastal foggy 57F temps before the sun burned through. When I got back to my car, I drove to the local farmer's market to pick up some fresh goodies for the week. Then I drove back to the HS track for our morning racewalking training session (with the cutest little kids learning lacrosse on the infield). I did another mile there with a woman who came back after almost a year off from racewalking. But she hasn't lost much speed, and so made me work to pace her for a couple of laps. Now DW and I are heading to a greenhouse in the woods to get some plants for window boxes, and I'm looking for a particular groundcover I bought there a couple of years ago. Tonight, we're heading up north a bit to see fabulous guitarist Ed Gerhard give a low-key, no frills concert in his hometown of Strafford, NH.

Have a greta Saturday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Sayhey! MM#130

Hiya!  Sounds like a fabulous Saturday, Jay.

Toying with the idea of running at least one weekend day later than usual to get really heat tolerant.  Got in 15.5 today, but not sure if I'll continue.  Maybe will read up a bit.

Sayhey, no problem w/ DH getting the bike!!  Just want him to propose it.  He's rather an introvert.  And I don't want to be an enabler!

And we went to Hawaii together.  Not sure I want to go there again.

Happy Saturday!

grins

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

coastwalker really interesting how racewalking works! Thanks for the explanation.

I ran with the local Joggers Club today. The group headed up to the local high school track to do intervals. Everyone else did like one lap around and quit.  Next they stood and yakked for a bit. Finally, they decided to run the first of the crazy distance routes from the town's summer race series. How actually did intervals. Yep, the really stupid one. That would be me.  I was horrible! My typical interval pace goal is in the low 7 minute range. I could not consistently get below 8 today. In the end 5x1000m intervals at a pace I hope to run marathons at. 

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Dave59

A very tough 8 miles with a dew point at 70° and above. Don't know if I'll get acclimated to the weather here or not.  I looked up the dew point in my former Michigan home and it was 50° and it made me a little homesick.

A couple days ago Cindy asked me if I was frowning and I said no. She said she hadn't noticed before how it looks like I am always frowning. So I looked in the mirror and was amazed at how many creases I have on my forehead.  When did that happen???  I might be due for some botox injections. (If only I wasn't so afraid of needles.)

Twocat, interesting about changing your stride.  One day I thought to myself, I should flick my feet back on push off, use those calves and hammies.  And for the same effort it seemed, I ran a lot faster.

I did 12 miles at the horse trails.  I say "did" because I can't say "ran".  The last 4 miles were 80% walking.  I was hurting everywhere by mile 5.  Everywhere!  Feet, hips, knee and muscles.  It was painful just walking that last 4 miles.  I think my body is trying to tell me something.  Anyhow, on the bright side, I saw a bobcat, just sauntering down the trail, about 75 feet in front of me.  Very cool!  No phone with me to take a photo.  If I had been running, I would never have seen him - would have made too much noise and he would have run off.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Marathon Maniac #957

Love the bobcat sighting!

Still in Hocking Hills, but not running. However, lots of walking.  And eating. 

No cellphone service here at the house we rented, but there is wi-fi, so I can check in here but my boss cannot text me with questions about work. 

Happy Saturday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mariposai

No cellphone service here at the house we rented, but there is wi-fi, so I can check in here but my boss cannot text me with questions about work. 

Happy Saturday!

I hope your boss is reading up about the new overtime rule....Smile BTW, I am glad you are having fun.

Twocat, very interesting remarks about strides. I will have to pay more attention to that next time I go out.

Enkie, nice running.

Speaking of going out, the Easy Pacer and I went our for a 6 miles running date this early  morning. It was hot already at 6am.

I hope to run about 10 miles tomorrow...if the weather cools off a little bit.

Cheers,

Posie

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard