Masters Running

Monday, December 3 Runs and Maybe Nots (Read 343 times)

Greetings!

Have a few days off, usually take Mondays off but took advantage of the nice weather and went for a slow 3.5 mile run.

Maniac 505

Posi; I think you showed me that hill when I visited last year.  You sure have some tough ones in your neck of the woods.

3 easy miles for me between rain storms.

It looks like my job is about to get much more interesting.  As some of you know I am a chief engineer with Washington State ferries.  about a year ago I took the position of Vacation Relief engineer.  That means I work on various boats in the Ferry system when the regular chief takes a vacation. 

We currently have 23 boats.  most of them are manned by the engine room crew 24/7.  We operate from  terminals spread  from Tacoma to Anacortes (over 100 miles by road ) and many cities in between, we also have several boats that cover the San Juan Islands, and one terminal in Vancouver BC.

There is one engine department dispatcher that makes sure the boats are properly manned,  Also she schedules all Fuel oil and lube oil deliveries for the fleet. She is one of the parties involved in scheduling fleet Maintenance.  I talk to her at least once each week to get my work assignment for the following week.  She knows all 200+ engine department employes by voice.  She knows where everyone lives and if possible she schedules us to work on boats that are at terminals close to our home.  Everyone is amazed at how efficient she is and how she juggles all the pieces that she does.

After 39 years on the job,  Mary retired Friday.  Management decided to start looking for her replacement Today.

Dave

mrrun

After 39 years on the job,  Mary retired Friday.  Management decided to start looking for her replacement Today.

Dave

SOP for government offices!!Joking

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

well, you wouldn't want to pay two people to do the same job, would you.   Corporate (eta I need to read more closely) Goverment at its frugal best. Roll eyes

7.2 miles yesterday for me.  Longest in many months.  Now I'm back in my 2nd home in NC for the week.  Just when I was getting used to the nice cool temps at home, I arrive to 75°.  Hope it cools off at night.

Tramps--a belated condolences message to you and Tribee.  Enjoy the many good memories.  Our dog uses the "I need to go ut" trick to steal my spot on the couch from time to time.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

stealth.rnr

She laughs at me......

5.5 done in 1:02. That's my longest run in over a month. I think I'm going to add back some planned walk breaks on runs over 30 minutes. At least until I get my miles back up. Or maybe forever. Smile

It worked today.

stealth.rnr

She laughs at me......

Oh, Tramps. Sam, the old dog, can't win if she wants to steal a chewie from Charlie the easy, normal way. She watches. Pretends to be asleep. Old and sneaky beats young and fast most of the time.

I have seen her jump up and start barking at the front door. Charlie, as the alpha (or so he thinks) male jumps up and joins her. Then Sam runs back and takes the chewie that Charlie dropped. The look and sigh that dog makes when he realizes she did it again is almost heartbreaking.

In my avi, Charlie is trying to keep Sam from stealing that chewie. He crawled up in my lap and is asking for help. I have a series of 10 pictures from that little episode.

Marathon Maniac #957

If I tried to hula hoop, I'd be afraid of throwing something out of kilter.

I recently learned how to hula-hoop for the first time, when my 10yo DD showed me that you just go side-to-side instead of trying to go round-and-round...

Tramps - I love your Koko story!

Byll - awesome gift!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

dg.

Tramps, I'm so sorry about Koko!     But what a great story.    I'm glad it makes you smile thinking about her ... 

Lots of great dog stories.....

Hi new old people!    

10 miles this morning, on a very very stoopid route to run in very very heavy fog.   But I lived to tell the tale.   Hmm.  I guess I won't tell it,  (nothing really to tell, just a close call)  but it can be a reminder to everybody to be careful out there!   

I am officially registered for Bayshore.  : ).    

Ribs I hope you find your legs soon.

I was going to really try to catch up but I think I'd better go finish my laundry.   And do some core stuff.     So..... just will say hi everybody!

wildchild

Carolyn

I was planning a RAL, but I forgot my sports bra, so I decided to do a RAW instead so I could just wear my regular bra, and not worry about it getting all sweaty.    (Do the new RW folks know what RAL and RAW mean??? )  So anyway, I ran 6 miles at about a 9:45 pace.  It got pretty dark the last 2 miles, but it was warm enough for shorts. 

Tramps, I like the story about Koko.  We have an electric invisible fence, too, but my dogs haven't figured out that trick yet.  But my dog Ladybug knows how to open the door and let herself in.  Our doors have lever-type doorknobs, and she jumps up and puts her paws on the lever, and puts her body weight on the door, and she's in.  We have to lock the doorknob to keep her from doing this, otherwise we sometimes come home and find the door wide open and Ladybug lying on the couch looking cozy.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

Fly-by, late-in-the-day post!  No run for me today, even though I should have - work and home and family stuff just took up too much time, although I really feel like I've got to stop using those excuses and just get my butt out the door early in the morning and get the run in.  The day really goes so much better when I do. 

Mariposai

I really feel like I've got to stop using those excuses and just get my butt out the door early in the morning and get the run in.  The day really goes so much better when I do. 

Amen brother, amen!

GinnyinPA, how wonderful that you took up running. Tell us your story!

Dievechief, so government like! Well, all I can say is that if you want a long weekend away from the craziness, you know you have a room at the PosieNest.

Irishguy, I did the same thing. Today was going to be my day off, but the moon and the sunshine got me out of the door in the morning. Multitasking and all, I got in my 3 luscious miles!

Stealth-rnr, kudos to your longest run in a month, you too Stumpy77.

Well, one mile of walk with my dear friend Dr. Ute for me after work. Ohh, the best part of my day? PM Break time, of course, when I actually gave myself permission to talk to the river and enjoy it's beauty.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

SteveP

Very kewl Baboon & Sarge.

Tramps. We tried the collar with Tag. We could see the muscles in his neck jumping and he's sitting there with the "Let's Go" look on his face. He gets that from my side. Sad

Dive, will the training consist of, "Figure it out yourself"?

Yeah DEB!!! I'm in for the 10K. Poor Taggy can't go this time Sad

SteveP