Masters Running

Friday, 2.3.17 (Read 36 times)

spinach

I ran several times in the St John's fieldhouse this week. 17 mile indoors (most of them counter clockwise to see if I could go back in time) I also did 3 miles outside. I will probably do another 15-20 outdoors this weekend,

Tramps, I think the textbooks will be more and more online.  There are several big advantages of the e-books. One is they are easy to keep updated. Another advantage is they don't take up much space. For example I am using a partial differential equations book this semester that has been reprinted by Dover. It was a good book that I had used previous years. However Dover's reprinting of it uses much thicker paper and the textbook is now the size of the NYC phone book. I feel real sorry for the poor students who have to lug it all around.

Another big "advantage" of an online text book is the publisher's can sell a lot more. They sell the e-books that the students can only access them for short period of time (5 months, 9 months). No more used books available on campus. They also can save money by not printing them.  No paper to buy. They do reduce the cost of the text by a few dollars. They now charge $120 for the online text instead of $180 for paper, but now the publisher has gotten rid of the used texts so the get more dollars.

A lot of my students prefer the ebooks but I am teaching math and most students still prefer paper math texts because it is easier to leaf back and forth throughout the text. Also undergraduate mathematics isn't changing that much over a decade so that a text that is four or five years old is still quite usable.

Cellphones are becoming a necessity in class.  For one thing, most students don't have a calculator anymore, they use the cell phone. Also there is a lot of use of class surveys and class polling using the cell phones. It is a good way to get communication from all the students in the class. Only a few students will dominate the oral discussions in class. the polling and texting is a good way to get communications from some of the quieter students.

The world is changing and I hope I will be able to retire before it changes too much in school.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Running

all ready for a five-mile walk in the rain

this morning but it stopped the instant

I stepped out the door so nary a drop.

Maybe better luck on the way back.

Computers, etc.

Forget about being passive anymore

re GS''s computers and gadgets.

I'm sending DS tramps' rant

(with "rant" deleted)

to say nothing of learning about car forums,

microwaves, etc.  Now if I could just learn

to run fast, . . . as if I cared.

..marj//....at First Glance

I thought you were telling us henry was HiJacked by the FBI..........

On the cards for me this afternoon is to strip down and diagnose an issue with one of the lab PCs.

. . cat//. ..at First Glance,

I thought you were telling us you were going to strip down and diagnose an issue with one of the lab PC's.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

On the cards for me this afternoon is to strip down and diagnose an issue with one of the lab PCs.

I think this requires a photo!

Hi all, (insert waving smiley)!  I have been lurking most of this year but still check in on you guys.  Sorry about your fall on the ice, Jay. I don't like to run in the dark for that reason.  I actually haven't run for over three weeks now.  Had surgery (don't ask what for) on 1/17 so have been recuperating at home. I am going back to work on Monday so will see how that goes.  Thinking about heading to the Y to swim, bike a little and run/walk on the track. I donated blood yesterday so I will take it easy.

On technology, I have had an iPhone for two years and use it for a lot of stuff.  MrStarr has an android and can't figure it out, or doesn't even want to. Btw, he saw a new doctor this week and they doing a dna test to determine what medicines would work best for him.  This is the same psychiatrist that I see so I went with him.  We were there for almost an hour and a half.  He said that there are so many medicines to try and he will get some improvement.  It's just going to take time to conquer this depression and anxiety.

Have a great Friday and a greater weekend!

Starr

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

I forgot to mention that I was reading last month's Runner's World (don't make fun of me, I like it sometimes).  Anyway, there was a little blurb about the Pro Football Hall of Fam Marathon in Canton, Ohio and the race director is Jim Chaney. Some of you will remember him as jjchaney from coolrunning.  The race is fairly new and if you set a new age-group record you receive $100.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

ETA: Doug--have you tried finding a user's forum for your car? Mine's a Subaru . Sort of like RunningAhead for cars, I suppose! Really helpful in practical, useful info for owners, rather than the tons of manufacturer's info. I've been bailed out more than once asking, "here's my problem, what do I do?" Save lots of $$ avoiding dealers too.

Yes, I was active on a Subaru Outback forum (not the same one as yours) before getting that car a while ago and have already registered on the potential new car's forum, which is quite active. Always good info and a way to get questions answered; much better than what a dealer can tell you.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

I didn't know about the Subaru forums.  I need to check those out.

I caved and got a Tracfone Android late last year.  I can never get the thing to pick up when I swipe the icon when it rings.  I always have to call the person.  Very irritating.  The Hub still has a Tracfone flip phone and always will, unless they quit supporting them.

Spacityrunner - Thanks for the info and invite!! 

SteveP - Yay, for Dad.  Still praying.

Jay - Very scary!  Glad it doesn't appear any damage was done.

6 miles this a.m. in rain, rain and more rain.  But thankfully not awfully cold.  Then I did some single-legged and double-legged squats during lunch while watching a youtube trail running video.  Trying to get inspired about tomorrow's 16 in rain, rain, and more rain . . . . 

Leslie
              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

StarrRuns I like reading Runner's World too! Shhh! 

My solution to the emailing and Facebook browsing during class has been to ban all cell phones, laptops and tablets during my classes unless we are going over how to use software that day. On those days they can use their computers to follow along the lesson in real time. There is a reason Facebook is worth billions and I am not. There is no way for me to compete with it.

As to undergraduate and MBA student computer skills, they are pathetic. Horrible. They can play games and use apps. Write code? Not a chance. They do not even want to know how to write any. Tramps I am not sure about the faculty you deal with but most of my colleagues can at least write some form of rudimentary code. Enough to at least get a statistical software package to jump through some pretty complex hoops. Most also know how to use a database management program of some sort (or adapt something like SAS to act as one).  Okay I am done complaining about student computer skills and interest.

I got a call from my cardiologist today telling me that my carotid scan came back all clear. What he, my DW and I all expected. It was really a just to make 100% sure type of test.

In running news, none for me today. Tomorrow I am going 14. It is going to be cold! 

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

My swim workout went pretty well considering how out of shape I am for it. 8 laps (400 m) but my Garmin recorded 12 laps. Maybe I can work up to Holly's 25 laps, impressive! No biking or running though since I forgot to bring a sports bra. Oh well, I was pretty tuckered out.

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

I was thinking while running (and I didn't even fall), and I was thinking about the drive home on Monday. We'll be going through Atlanta the day after the Superbowl. Will the traffic be lighter than normal?  Would a win or a loss by Atlanta effect the traffic more?  A win and everyone is out partying all night. or a loss and everyone stays home depressed....

That's a good question.  I'm thing that, if they win, there will be people burning cars in the streets and smashing store windows...because that's what you do when your team wins a major sporting event.  If they lose...I'm thinking there will be people burning cars in the streets and smashing store windows...because that's what you do when your team loses a major sporting event.  You might want to avoid Atlanta.

Jay--I hope you still have no permanent damage...but are able to keep the little sense that was knocked into your noggin.

All that computer talk is way over my head.  I do know the difference between an android and an iPhone but I have no idea how they are able to do what they do.  Writing code?  I only know that ...---... means SOS in Morse Code.  Other than that...forget it.

Hi Starr--it's nice that you popped in for a bit.  Good to hear from you.

I did 8 miles out in the cold wind.  I started out running into the wind this time, though, so I would have the wind to my back on the way home.  I would do that all the time, but running west from my house makes me have to put up with a bunch of traffic and crossing busy streets.  Going east, from house, takes me out into more farm-like areas and, when I do approach an intersection, I just turn left form the left side of the street, so I don't have to worry about stopping for traffic.

After my run, Debbie and I went out to eat.  We eat out way too often.  I am developing a bit of a roll around my stomach--and I do not like it!

I have to get up and go into work in the morning to unlock the doors and make sure everything is up and running so the guys can try to keep up with our workload.  It is just ridiculous what we are expected to get done in the amount of time we have to do it.  I only have to stay for about 1/2 an hour--those pour guys will be there all day...of course, they get paid overtime....I don't.

When I leave there, I have to go to my granddaughter's house and, hopefully, help her finish her school project that we've been working on for the last 5 weeks.  (I love doing that, though, so don't feel sorry for me.)  Then I'm meeting a friend to go for a run.  (I love doing that, too.)  Then I have to pick up another granddaughter and take her to her soccer game.  (Another thing I love to do.)  So--except for the first part of the day--I'm looking forward to tomorrow.

Okay--I'd better get to bed so I can be ready my day.  See ya!

evanflein

Mike, that's not bad when most of the things you "have to do" are things you love to do.

Hi Starr! Hope things work out for your DH with the new doc.

It was so nice and sunny out today, I'm glad I got out earlier than usual. It was about +10 up on campus (we're up on a hill), about zero down the hill where the path I run on is, and it felt like about -5 down by the lake I run by after 1.6 miles into my run. It got noticeably colder when I got there, almost weird. I turn around at 2.3 miles, then head back. Also did an double-back for almost a mile to get desired mileage. It always feels so nice to go back up the hill to my office and feel it get warmer!

Marathon Maniac #957

As to undergraduate and MBA student computer skills, they are pathetic. Horrible. They can play games and use apps. Write code? Not a chance.

Isn't there an app for that? 

Starr - I still rest for 10-20 seconds at the end of every length, so even after swimming 2x/week since mid-September, I have no swimming stamina, just general persistence.

Mike - hard to imagine you with a roll...

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

....Congratulations twocat//.........Glad you're OK........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....