Masters Running

The Chritmas Eve Daily (Read 331 times)

Mike E

MM #5615

Good morning everybody!

Posie--it is so cool that you are with your family and doing all of your traditional Christmas stuff.  You are a very special lady.

Yes, Drake, please thank your son for his service.  Because of him, and people like him, we are able to celebrate this "holiday season" the way we choose.  For me, it's Christmas--the birth of God's Son--for others its something else--and we are blessed to live in a country where we can all live together.  Anyway--I really appreciate him.

Hi--flarunner.  I'll be running in Florida at the end of the week!  Can't wait!

Have a great time with your friends, Jay!

Karin--you are amazing!  19 miles last night, then you get up and run 4.2 more.  It's really nice to have you back, here, by the way.  (Do you know how Mary's doing?  I miss her.)

Hey, Norm!  Glad you stayed on your feet for your race!

Wow, Sarge--I never knew you sang so well.  Thanks!

Yeah, Jeff--it's tough when we can't have all our kids home for Christmas.  I'll see all of mine except one.  Good luck with your marathon training!

Nice run lyndenrunner.

Twocat--I hate it when I've written a long post and something happens to it.  (I hope that doesn't happen this time)  Have a fun time cooking.

Hey wild!  I'm glad you have such great plans with your DD for after Christmas...it will make not having her home a littleeasier.  Oh, and having your sister should help, too.  Please tell her I said hi.

Glad you're feeling better, Jlynne.

Merry Christmas, Avenger Doggie!  It just wouldn't be Christmas with an Avenger Doggie post!

Wow, Baboon!  Very nice workout!

Nice run, Dave!  I love M.A.S.H. by the way.  Do you remember when Henry got an oak desk?  He was so proud of it.  He said to Radar..."I'll bet you don't know what kind of wood this is"  Radar said, "Oak, Sir?"  "Nope," Henry said, "It's oak."  I don't know why I've always thought that was so funny.

Well--I did get my 15 miler in last night.  Actually 15.6.

Okay--that's enough from me.  I have to go wrap presents!  See ya!

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

And on the TM, no less.  Shocked

Busy morning here--lots of people goofing off.  Nothing else to do? Wink

DW and I were up at 5:30am yesterday to pick up DD at the airport for her whirlwind Christmas tour.  Only here until Thursday and she has a lot of friends to catch up with after another year in CA--we have to make sure to block out as much time with her as possible.  not an easy task.  Since she cam en on the red-eye, I had to wait a little to get out and run--6.2 miles in an hour with a nice brisk breeze.  There is a possibility of a Christmas morning run in the snow.  White Christmas doesn't come around here very often.

Welcome to Flarunner (I think Jay made an assumption about your running location)

We call them peanut blossoms, and yes, they are dangerous.  Much like the many other kinds that DW makes.

Drake--enjoy the chaos.  That's a big part of what makes Christmas fun and memorable.

To all my RA friends, new and old, met and unmet--a very Merry Christmas and a prosperous New Year.  Can't do any better than Mari--May all your celebrations be filled with joy and peace.  

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

King of PhotoShop

Just a quick drop by to say I ran 2.2 on the dirt track for recovery, and now about to cook all day long!

Got stocking stuffers just after my run, about 8:30 this morning.  Perfect time to do it.  Alone in the store, and no traffic.

Twocat, not many people train equally well for speed AND long distance.  Ek can, as can CNY, but I'm either fit to run the marathon, or fit to run short distances, seldom both.  So I have to ease into the LR thing now.  Seems to be working well as that slow 14 didn't bother me at all this morning.  You go easy too, I hope.   Spareribs

......40 minute on the elliptical and push ups BC (before coffee)  Dead

..we have some Amazing Athletes in here.......BEFORE Coffee??.......Really?????

========

pt xs

double weight sessions

off to Knoxville after work

..............Merry Christmas and Good Running to Ya........banana.gif

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

evanflein

Drake, my son is just finishing up Marines basic training and he graduates in January. He's coming home afterward and we're really looking forward to having him home for a few days. But like your son, he's a popular kid so not sure how much we'll see of him.

Holy carp, Baboon, did you do any kind of warm up for that? I know what you mean about having to work so others get paid. I'll be heading to the office today to get retirement accounts posted for our payroll process.

Have a great time with your family, Mariposai! That's so great that your DH could go with you this time. Nice job on your marathon!

I loved M.A.S.H. too! Way to get 'er done, Dave!

I always have watering eyes when I run in the cold, at least at first. I'm sure some people think I'm crying. Never have found a fix for it, so just try to carry tissue or have soft mitts.

I miss Mary too and hope she's ok.

Well, I did 10.6 on the treadmill yesterday and threw in some half mile repeats at 8 m/m pace and thought that was pretty good for where I'm at these days. Not sure what I'll do today. Need to do more core work though as I'm having lower back problems that are affecting daily activities. We're going to my brother's tonight for dinner and family time.

Drake, my son is just finishing up Marines basic training and he graduates in January. He's coming home afterward and we're really looking forward to having him home for a few days. But like your son, he's a popular kid so not sure how much we'll see of him.

Cool!

Is he in San Diego or Paris Island?

Yeah,we pretty much cut DS a LOT of slack now. When he was younger we kind of worried about where he'd be at this age,as he was kind of a trouble maker,but now we're nothing but proud of the kid. So we let him do his thing when he's home because he has grown up a lot since joining,and is actually thriving in the Marines.

I told him a lot of you guys said to thank him for his service. He's kind of embarrased,he said "Why,I havn't done shit yet?" LOL

Anyway,I did my speed work on the hills this morning. Wow,I can feel it in my quads! Felt like a good workout. Went 6.4 miles if I remember right.  I've got to get used to this trail running thing.

Calves felt a little sore the past few days,so I looked up how many miles I have on my shoes. I show a hair over 400 miles. I replaced my last pair of Asics Cumulus at 410 miles. I guess my legs let me know when it's time to switch em out. I picked up a new pair while out grocery shopping today. Man are these things expensive! I've had good luck with them though,so I can't see changing brands or models now.

Merry Christmas eve everybody!

delicate flower

Holy carp, Baboon, did you do any kind of warm up for that? I know what you mean about having to work so others get paid. I'll be heading to the office today to get retirement accounts posted for our payroll process.

One mile warmup at about 8:45 pace, included in the overall pace.

<3

evanflein

Drake, he's at San Diego. How long has your son been in? Mine went down in October.

Drake, he's at San Diego. How long has your son been in? Mine went down in October.

Mine went down in August and graduated basic the week before Thanksgiving. He went back down to San Diego a week after Thanksgiving to learn how to "blow stuff up", and sweep and search buildings,ect.

He WANTS to be a deisel mechanic,but he came in 2nd place in his company (that was 428 guys) on the rifle range. So they wanted to give him more weapons and tactics training.  He goes to Camp Johnson in North Carolina from here,then overseas.

Seper Fi!

A tip- If you go to San Diego for his graduation,don't walk on the grass at the training facility! I did,I got "BOOOO"ed by about 1000 people,no kidding.

Ran another 6 this morning with a subset of the same group that was at the brunch yesterday, but nobody wore their "ugly shirts" today. There were a lot of runners on the trail, and our group of 6 was passed by a group of about 20 (younger!) runners with all the accompanying hallooing, Merry Christmasing, and all that good cheer. Runners sure are an upbeat crowd!

Now we're fixing dinner with my MIL here and awaiting the arrival of our DS, after which we'll be off to the traditional midnight church service that has ultimately backed off to 9PM lately (hey, we're all getting older!).

Have a Very Merry Christmas indeed, my friends!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Marathon Maniac #957

Today was Week 1 Day 1 to train for the Illinois Marathon. Five easy miles on the bike path; a little icy in patches but still runnable.  I haven't trained for a marathon since training for Boston '11.  I need to drop about 10 lbs over the next 18 weeks; if I can do that and stick with my training plan I would like to go sub 3:40.  Haven't done that since 2009.

That marathon is the same day as one I am running - the Kentucky Derby Marathon.  Guess I better get going on the training thing....

Carolyn - Spain and Morocco?  I admit to being envious....Joking....Please post pictures when you get back!

(((Jlynne)))

Flarunner - welcome!

Baboon - speedy!

Like Jeff, I really need to drop a few lbs if I hope to run a decent marathon in the spring.  Roll eyes

DD and I got hair cuts today (2" off hers, 3" off mine), the dogs got their nails clipped, and then I came home to make our big holiday meal, albeit a fairly simple one:  ham with dijon maple glaze, cheesy scalloped potatoes, broccali/cauliflower, rolls, pumpkin pie and confetti cake (DS doesn't like pie).  Combined with the hearty breakfast of eggs, bacon, hash browns and bisquits, it was quite enough food for the day.  Tomorrow I hope to be mostly a relax-and-putter-at-home day.

DD is 10, and probably doesn't believe in Santa anymore, but I will still keep it up, setting the alarm for 1am so I can get the presents and stocking stuffers out of their hiding places and fill them/put them under the tree.  I won't give up Santa quite yet....  Smile

13 very slow miles for me in 30-34 degrees.  Felt good to run outside given all the TM running I've been doing lately (even if it was slow).

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mike E

MM #5615

DD is 10, and probably doesn't believe in Santa anymore, but I will still keep it up, setting the alarm for 1am so I can get the presents and stocking stuffers out of their hiding places and fill them/put them under the tree.  I won't give up Santa quite yet....   

I don't understand any of that.  If I were you, Holly--I would not be up at 1am--Santa knows when you are sleeping...and he knows when you're awake...

C-R

DD is 10, and probably doesn't believe in Santa anymore, but I will still keep it up, setting the alarm for 1am so I can get the presents and stocking stuffers out of their hiding places and fill them/put them under the tree.  I won't give up Santa quite yet....  Smile

We're there with DS1 and DS2. Just finished placing the presents under the tree and finishing the carrots and cookies (with some left over) on the plates. This one I won't let go easily. It's so worth it in the morning.

Ho Ho Ho. Merry Christmas everyone.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                            "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

don't walk on the grass at the training facility! I did,   I got "BOOOO"ed by about 1000 people,no kidding.

I missed what that's all about.

That grass felt real good to my bare feet after 26.0 miles on pavement

in several San Diego R'n'R Marathons from 2002-2004.

Merry Christmas omedetou gozaimasu and God Yul RA runners and families who support you.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Bushrat Runner

Swam a mile this morning. Tomorrow in the morning I'm running a, "don't feel guilty about Christmas dinner," run with my friend Mo, and with Choco of course...