Masters Running

40s 50s 60s and Beyond On the Run - w/e 10/03 (Read 588 times)

1. so far we're 3 for 3....local sportscaster last night though said something like, "Congratulations! You beat the Raiders...want respect, beat the Cowboys".....   

2. & btw: ref Joe's 300 mile month (congratulations)  been log stalking peeking & see this ~

July:  243.2   7.845 av per day

Aug:  286.8   9.25 ave per day

Sept: 320.2   10.67 ave per day

3.   now, I don't want to criticize or nuttin, but I'm thinkin "he needs to git a life! take a vacation! (add P90X to his routine to add in a little light crosstraining).    post a picture so's us wimmin can git a peek judge the results!

1.  We realize the Raiders suck butcha don't have to rub it in.

2. Thanks for revealing Joe's true progress.  Yowza!  Very, VERY nice there, young man.

3.  The pic he posted is a bit fuzzy, but it's better than nothing (which is basically what we've had to date).

Joe - I think you would totally rock an ultra.  Come do the AR5 with me!   You can pull me through to the end.

Ev - You're back!  Good luck with the run this weekend.  Have a great time.

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Good morning to all of the gang.....

Saw I had a message from Arla saying "we miss you" so I thought I would let everyone know things are fine and I miss chatting with you all as well.

A handful of short runs here and there......

School is really, really tough this semester.....(Contracts Law, Criminal Law and Legal Research).....

Job is still overwhelming with gobs of work to do......

Daughter had a horrible break up with her bf so things have been kinda emotional around here.......

My Keys trip was fabulous, swimming, kayaking, sunbathing, eating, drinking, boating, did I mention drinking.....

Congrats to everyone who had races that I missed. Cindy and Leslie, I know you both had some hot ones to run through. Congrats on your fine accomplishments. Speaking of accomplishments Joe, dayuuum!

Arla, I love your attitude with running. You have no schedule, no coach, you just go out and run when you want and how far you want and you do everything by feel. You treat your races as just long runs with no pressure on time and that seems to suit you well. Congrats...

Good luck on your upcoming Tri Carol, your doing great!

I see Jim is getting in some nice runs with Dessa and your 5k's are pretty speedy. Hello to Lynda....

Ev, I'm glad I'm not the only one that has been missing around here. Have a great run!

Off to shopping in Orlando with my mom and 2 sisters......

Have a nice weekend everyone,

Jewels

But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee

Top 'O the World!

Yay!  a Jewels sighting!!! Woo-Hoo!  Glad things are going well & busy for you!

This sharp cool snap has really brought the colors out to play!~ one of my neighbors has an assortment of maple types -couple are bright yellow right now, couple are brilliant red!!  looks very cool that they are mixed together like that!

Garmie died  so, I'm sorta running blind....nice that so many of my trails I a.) have mostly memorized or b.) have mile posts along them.....knew it was 8 miles RT dead on up to the new bathroom in one of my parks so, that's what I did!  I do have a Timex w/chrono so I used that to roughly time it...maybe it's a good thing to be running sans watch for a bit....I think I may get a little too focused on what the watch says rather than what my body says.   Saturdays, if I don't get out fairly early, become "socials" w/the neighbors, so, Mairead & I enjoyed several brief chat breaks as well as the normal creek stops.  My best guess is than when I was moving, I avg'd an 11:15 pc....

Have a Great wknd everybody!!

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

Queen of 3rd Place

Jewels...well, look what the cat dragged in!   Sorry to hear about all the work and drama and stuff, that's life I guess. Was that the boyfriend that you didn't care for? At least you got some you time, wow that Keys trip sounds niiice...

Leslie - that schedule looks reasonable, I assume you've done the back-to-back long runs on weekends thing before? My understanding is that's pretty standard for you ultra folks. Anyway, that seems like the toughest part, I would imagine it takes some getting used to, Sundays must be tough. Also, why did your mid-week sorta long run ramp up so fast? From 5 to 10 in one week? Anyway the overall weekly mileage looks fine. Don't forget SLEEP and NUTRITION!  And maybe the occasional margarita!

Cindy - someone here on RA was advising people to ditch the watch or Garmin from time to time, I'd make a bet that it can make your runs more relaxed and pleasant. Surely most of us have known mileage turnaround points. So there ya go.

Ev - welcome back into the swing of things!  Nothing like those Fall runs, glad you're not missing out!

Joe - you and I should both cheer on Leslie sometime. I need to get to an ultra event and see what it's like.

Just realized that I passed the 1500 mi mark for the year. If all goes well, I should be around 2100 - 2200 by year's end. It's all so strange, seems like not that long ago that 5 miles was a long run and 10 was unthinkable...I mean, what kind of crazy people did that?? They must be useless the rest of the day!

The thing is, I don't really have much to show for those miles. I don't look or feel different. I have a slightly lower resting HR. Some dumb medals just for finishing runs. An annoying, gnawing desire to do MORE...longer, faster...even though I'll still be slow. Why? But I guess it's the years of doing this that pay off in the long run, hopefully a more healthy 70 and 80 and ??? -year old who can still do stuff. And probably bore people showing off those stupid medals.

Arla

Ex runner

Thanks for the well wishes.

Let's just say the 5k went pretty good.  I was pleased with the outcome and had a fun time. And donuts after the race!  Oklahoma running personality Mark Bravo attended the event and addressed the runners before the race.  He said these types of small local races are really what running is all about.  Mark has a knack of making evryone feel good about themselves.  He is a great ambassador for running and he did an awesome job being race announcer. 

Hey.....it's Jewels!!  Really good to hear from you.

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Just realized that I passed the 1500 mi mark for the year. If all goes well, I should be around 2100 - 2200 by year's end. It's all so strange, seems like not that long ago that 5 miles was a long run and 10 was unthinkable...I mean, what kind of crazy people did that?? They must be useless the rest of the day!

The thing is, I don't really have much to show for those miles. I don't look or feel different. I have a slightly lower resting HR. Some dumb medals just for finishing runs. An annoying, gnawing desire to do MORE...longer, faster...even though I'll still be slow. Why? But I guess it's the years of doing this that pay off in the long run, hopefully a more healthy 70 and 80 and ??? -year old who can still do stuff. And probably bore people showing off those stupid medals.

Arla

Congrats, Arla!  You and Joe are models of consistency and how it pays off.  I don't think I "look" any different for the miles I've put in, but I definitely feel different, and a lot of it's mental well-being.  I think back to some issues I was going through a couple of years ago, and no matter how trite it may sound, I have no doubt that running - the goals I have set for myself - "saved" me.  Running and the friends I have found on RA have given me a new lease on life.

And with regard to ultras - you and Joe should go check 'em out sometime.  They're always looking for people to staff aid stations, which is where you see it all happen.  Especially the stations later in the run.  It's a much smaller community, and everyone is so supportive of one another.

Re the jump from 5 to 10 miles on Wednesday.  Bill was holding back on that until after I got back from vacation.  I think he's figuring that the 13-milers I do on vacation will suffice to prepare me for the jump.

Re the back-to-backs, yes, I've been doing those for the last couple of races.  These are just going to be longer.  Instead of a 22/10, it'll be a 22/18 (or something like that) - to help mimic the fatigue of the longer distances without doing it all in one run.

Jewels!!  We miss you!  Hang in there with school.  The semester's almost over . . . . right??

Ev - Nice job on the 5k.  And donuts - Yum!

7 relaxed trail miles this a.m. with Karen and Coach Bill.  Got to do concentrate on hill climbing since I wasn't going to be out there for miles and miles.  They're both getitng ready for the Whiskeytown 50k in October, and I tell ya, it sure was nice to wave goodbye to them and head home.

Leslie
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Leslie - not sure about how consistency has paid off but you're sure right about the mental benefits. I almost always feel happier after a run, often even during the run, sometimes to the point of being silly. Then there's that thing about having goals, good stuff that really works for me and keeps me out of trouble (mostly). 

re 20/18 weekend:  I. Can't. Even. Imagine. Particularly on that terrain you run! 

Ex runner

It's gonna be interesting.  From my house to the Headwaters parking lot, it's 7.3 miles, and fairly flat, on pavement.  Just a couple of minor hills.  When Coach indicates "the AR50 run," I plan to park my car at the parking lot, run home on Elk River Road, run back to the parking lot, then back down Elk River Road as needed for mileage, and end the run going up the Headwaters Trail.  It has a very intense 2+ mile climb to the top.  Round trip on the trail is 11 miles.  The climb is not as long as the last big climb at the end of the actually AR50 race, but hopefully it will be enough of a simulation for me to not completely fall apart during the actual run. 

Coincidentally enough, my new boss lives on Elk River Road.  I think I'm gonna try and talk her into letting me use her place as a pit stop, if necessary.  Talk about employer - employee bonding!

Okay, I gotta hit the hay.  Lack of sleep last night as me a bit rummy.  Nite!

Leslie
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

flatland mountaineer

8.5 miles to town, started out pretty nice but wind kept coming up and then drizzle by the end. Dessa had to stay home, I'm sure she will make us pay for that!

Jewels great to hear from ya, you have a full plate for sure.

Arla congrats on going over 1500 for the yr.

Ev nice race and donuts too.

Leslie that quite the schedule, kudos for your dedication!!

Cindy it does seem to be an early fall in the plains intermtn region. Cooler temps are nice but could do without the wind.

Kevin hope you have recovered from your busy goings on cross country getting the student set upin CA.

Hiya to Kelly and anyone else out there.

Got started with corn harvest yesterday. Things went pretty well for a startup day.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III