Masters Running

Laguna Hills Memorial Half Marathon RR (Read 390 times)

#artbydmcbride

Bregre1, the Husky is his mascot. Big grin Huskydon, I was almost going to try to run this one too. You did great! Awesome new PR! Was the dirt part towards the end muddy at all? Good luck at Green River!

Runners run

Great job, Huskydon. You beat those hills and your goal with a big PR. Congratulations. TomS
        Great race. It's always tough to think about a new PR when the last race is just finished and your tired and you may have struggled. I know since I always doubt myself after a good race. Give yourself a week or two and you will realize that you are in great shape and given good conditions and the right course...the PR is forthcoming Talll

Recent Best times: None recently

huskydon

Thank you so much for your support and encouragement. You guys are really the best! For now, I think this is the best I could have done on this course. I do hope to get better, but you know how it is, it is hard work to shave those minutes! And the engineer in me just can't assume that I will necessarily get better. But still, I realize that the past year of steady injury free running has enabled me to shave five minutes off the half marathon time. if you asked me before if I could break 1:50, I would have said impossible. I just hope to stay healthy and keep running. But I would love to be able to run a 1:48 on a flat course by the end of the year. And I would really love to be able to run a 1:45 on a flat course by the end of 2009. If I could do that, then I would have the crazy thought of trying to qualify for Boston (I turn 55 in Feb 2010 and would need a 3:45). Yes, the pacing was the hardest thing yesterday. I had a plan to push "a certain amount" on the downhill stretches, but because I didn't know the course, didn't know how much down hill there was, I ended up expending myself more than I had intended during the first miles. The second time I run, I could do better. And hermosaboy, no Fontana for me, I could hardly walk down stairs today! Deez4boys, yes the area and the course were beautiful. It is quiet different than the LA County that I know about. By the time I got through the course, everything was dry, so conditions were truly ideal. Next week, I will join my three brothers in Seattle to take part in the Green River Marathon relay and to meet up with barefoot Jon. (that is why I am huskydon, I attended the U of Washington, whose mascot is the husky; it is also a slight play on words, as, at 129 lbs, I cannot be considered husky). What else is on the calendar? Maybe the 10K in Lomita in June. A 4th of July race in La Palma. Possibly the Camp Pendleton race in August. And certainly the Distance Derby in October. I am running well, so I feel like I should be racing a bit more to take advantage of it. (plus racing should help develop my speed, too). Thanks again for your support, it really is appreciated and makes a difference. huskydon
            Nice work...and you met your goal! That's gotta feel good. Good luck on the BQ chase.
            Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
              Late here with a response, but I wanted to say congratulations as well! You ran well on a tough course and scored a PR---that's awesome. I know you have more races on tap and I hope they are equally successful and fun. Great running! CNYrunner
                Congratulations on a very well run half marathon Huskydon! Hmm? Laguna Hills? The other day I bought a six pack of Lagunita IPA... wonder if there is a connection? Good luck in your homeland marathon relay with your brothers! That should be very fun. 129 pounds? I hope you are shorter than I... (just kidding)
                LaVita
                  Nice run Husky, "This is about as good as I can do, I think" You've set a lot of PR's this past year. The momentum seems to still be there--I think you have a faster one in you--I'm sure you do. Good luck in your relay and congrats on yet another PR.
                  Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33

Marathon Maniac #957

Fig Newtons, hmmmm, sounds a lot tastier than GU, for sure. And I think I’d prefer a glass to a medal – I’d get some use out of it, instead of stuffing it into a drawer. Smile Congratulations on your PR – 2 minutes is huge, especially on a hilly course – great job!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."