Masters Running

Sunday July 2nd Daily (Read 29 times)

Tramps

I'm breaking protocol but I’ve got lots to do today.  Hopefully Jay can jump in.

Erika—glad to hear of the improvement with your mother.

Mari—nice to have an abundance of running route options.

Holly—ouch.  Hope it loosened up quickly.

Bob Hearn, who some of you know, just completed the 24-hour world championship in Belfast yesterday/today.  He was the alternate for the US men’s team.  Last time I checked they hadn’t posted final results yet.  It looks like he was at 130 miles with a couple hours to go, which means he’ll be short of his last effort but still an amazing feat, especially since he’s doing 9-10 minute miles.  I can’t wrap my head around what it must take to do this.

Running at a pace just slightly faster than Bob, I managed 4.5 miles today.

Be safe. Be kind.

It sounded like they had some timing issues at the Belfast championship.  I'm anxious to see final, official results for Bob and the US team.

Finally figured out that you really DO have to slow down a lot in this kind of heat and humidity.  Didn't look at my splits and ran by HR (still hard to keep it as low as I wanted in this weather) and managed to do a 2 hour run which only yielded 10.6 miles, but I'll take it.  It didn't get really tough until the last couple of miles.  I'm glad to have that time on my feet and be DONE for the day.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Marathon Maniac #957

Tramps - that Bob Hearn is amazing!

RunnerKSA - I find it better not to look at my time in the H&H.

So, after my little TWANG in my back yesterday, it got progressively worse as the day went on.  By evening, I was so stiff I could not bend over to pick something up and could not walk without a limp.  Ridiculous, when all I did was turn slightly to the left to cause this.  At any rate, I sat with a heating pad on my hip last night and took a mild muscle relaxer.  This morning it was pretty stiff, but loosened up after a bit, and now it seems almost like it is clearing up - only slightly painful and stiff.  Bizarre.

The nice thing is that I was able to do my LR by keeping my back very straight while I ran.

14.6 miles.

I misread my log and thought that 14 miles would take me to 40 for the week, but it was actually 16.  However, I am not going back out now.

Golfing later with DH and a friend of his.  The back thing doesn't seem to affect my golf swing, since it appears to be slightly lower and more on my hip, but I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Glad your hip/back is healing up quickly.  That is strange!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

catwhoorg

Labrat

3500 Yards in the pool (w/Lava Pants) distance PR. Going to push that up to 5000 yds asap.

7x1200 Vo2Max intervals, with warmup and cool down, that's 12 and change miles on the TM, including feeling smug when the thunder and monsoon rain occurred.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

Marathon Maniac #957

Catwhoorg - that is a long swim!  You must have been starving all day after!  Well done!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

evanflein

Catwhoorg did have a helluva workout today, long swim and a lotta 1200's on the TM. Glutton for punishment?

Holly, glad your back/hip is better. It is strange how we can be laid up by the stupidest things sometimes.

We were expecting showers this morning, but not the heavy rain we got starting at about 3 or 4 a.m. and going all morning. It let up a few times mid-morning, just to start up again. Poor Emma kitty was so grumpy not to be able to go outside. Well, she could have but she's sort of twokitty-like about going out in the rain. So, when it let up after 1 pm I headed out for my long run. Then it would start sprinkling, then stop, then start again, etc. The sun finally came out at about 10 miles in and it did warm up quite a bit. Finished feeling better than most long runs lately (attribute that to the cloud cover and cooler temps) and ended at DH's office with 14.7 miles. This gets me to 62.1 for the week, the longest in quite some time.

Mariposai

Poor Emma kitty was so grumpy not to be able to go outside. Well, she could have but she's sort of twokitty-like about going out in the rain. So, when it let up after 1 pm I headed out for my long run. Then it would start sprinkling, then stop, then start again, etc. The sun finally came out at about 10 miles in and it did warm up quite a bit. Finished feeling better than most long runs lately (attribute that to the cloud cover and cooler temps) and ended at DH's office with 14.7 miles. This gets me to 62.1 for the week, the longest in quite some time.

LOL about Emma. Glad to see that you were able to fit in your 10 miles (how is the homecaring coming along?). Nice 62 mile week, sistahh.

Catwhoorg... that is a lot of miles plus swimming...do we see a triathlete in the making?

Well, today was all about sleeping in to recover from a very stressful end of the fiscal year for a few of the programs we manage at the Housing Authority. Up at 7, which meant for a late start for my planned 9 miles run on the 7.23 mile route. It was so hot and humid, I was drenched by the time I got back to the house. Then I took a nap, then it was shopping for a new fridge, our 15 year old fridge needed to be replaced for months ( the drawers and the a few of shelves were busted), but being the sales shopper we are we waited until this weekend to purchase our new chosen one (why this weekend? we learned by talking to the salesman at Home Depot that their biggest sale is this weekend and Thanksgiving weekend. We left the store saving over a thousand dollars for the model we wanted Smile). It pays to be patient Smile

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

catwhoorg

Labrat

I will sleep good tonight. That's for damn sure

Once I can routinely do 5000 yards, then I will consider an Ironman.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18