Masters Running

Feb. 1 Master/Boomer Runs and whatever (Read 526 times)

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

A late good morning and early afternoon to all. 3.2 in 27:21 this morning. a balmy 25F and little wind. almost IRC Wink Time wasn't bad, but run felt just meh. Undecided Wondering if I'm in line for the crud which has suddenly taken over our company. We have around 25 people in the office and I think 8 + a couple of contractors are out sick. Get to play single parent for the weekend (DW's revenge for all my past business trips) while she heads up to visit her uncle who is in terminal state of brain cancer. Feel really bad, as he is a great guy. No college, but worked his way from electrician to being president of a local bank. I've said that I want to be like him when I grow up. It's not a happy occasion--any good vibes you folks could muster up would be greatly appreciated. I know she'll feel drained by the time she gets back. Kevin

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Ribs! You're but a state away! Too bad you're not at our end--we're going to hit 40 we're above 40 and it's not yet noon! There's reason why we're considered "the banana belt" up here! Good idea to post crossword questions--I just sort of ran yesterday after weeks off--I did 4 minutes running, 4 minutes walking, very strictly. Posterior tib shin splint. I've been whining about the eliptical in every post. They're about to ban me for hyper-crabbiness. What are y'all doing for the Super Bowl? grins, A ps: pitchers and catchers report in less than 2 weeks! Next month is March, when spring starts!
      Masters 2000 miles
      Henrun

No running today after doing a 4 miler yesterday at almost race speed (a rarity for me in training-I usually run slower than slow). Instead went swimming at our local lap pool. Hadn't been since Sept. but really enjoyed it today and no fatigue. Great cross training. Marj and I are also crossword fanatics (she's also 'addicted' to sudukus). She does the Times puzzle every day and I do the Boston Globe in the early a.m. On Sat. night we print the Sunday Times puzzle and do it jointly. Aamos, we're watching the Super Bowl at Marj's son's house. They have a large flat HD tv. We have no need for one. A recent New Yorker cartoon showed a couple looking at their new flat mega screen and the husband says, "Same old crap but the screen is wider". Go Pats.
          I am definitely a "later in the day" runner. My stomach never is settled to enjoy a morning run and I find the afternoon or evening run just perfect. Funny how we all have our preferences. You sun weather guys are very cruel but we are better here than say.....Tall.....or Roch......or others in the real north. I don't think I would be doing much running if I had to face snow all the time. Maybe if I was there it would be different, but it is not attractive to me. OK........The Super Bowl is upon us this weekend. I am a New England fan so it is fun. I really think the Patriots have too much going for them to lose this one. Like it or not....Billicheck knows how to orchestrate a game plan. Plus, they have the experience and talent. If the Giants can beat them, they deserve being called Champions. In reality, the most fun is with the advertisements. My son wants me to come over to his place for the game. He has a basement specially designed to watch football games. It is like being in a sky box, complete with refreshments. Will be praying for the situation with your wife's uncle there stumpy. That is rough for sure. Even if you DON'T like baseball, to hear that pitchers and catchers are soon to report is a great mental boost.
          Vista
            crying into a beer that the Packers aren't there, again... Hang in there ((Aamos)) and all other injured. Your day will come soon enough. At some point -- always -- the injured and non-injured swap places. <now switching="" from="" tame="" modest="" mouse="" to="" led="" zeppelin="" mothership.="" office="" headphones="" are="" key.="" as="" i="" discovered="" this="" week,="" any="" parent="" who="" ever="" needs="" to="" get="" their="" middleschooler="" out="" of="" bed,="" just="" crank="" immigrant="" song="" on="" the="" living="" room="" speakers.="" works="" like="" a="" charm.="" it="" gets="" them="" up=""></now>and gets them a proper music education simultaneously. Enough of this Linkin Park stuff. Roll eyes >>
              Hang in there ((Aamos)) and all other injured. Your day will come soon enough. At some point -- always -- the injured and non-injured swap places.
              I liked that Smile Good news!! 4 miles on the TM Big grin Big grin Big grin Big grin Followed by 30 min on the bike, 20 min on the stairmill, 6 min on the elliptical I read up a bunch about anterior shin splints (it's really just a pulled muscle in my case), and they mentioned trying to run with a higher heel. I got on the TM and noticed quite dramatically that when I would run with my usual flat-footed shuffly form, the muscle was being taxed and started to complain. When I switched to a more ball of foot/toe push off, with nice backward kick, no pain! The only problem was it tired me out faster than normal and put more strain on my left calf, which has been tight lately and likely a contributing factor to overstressing the anterior shin muscle in the first place. But it felt great to rip it up a bit. I had forgotten what running felt like. Hoping to do 6 tomorrow. {{{dg_}}} I hope you are back in the game soon.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

1230 61f 5mi 7:15 solarmix2 started up, and the last two miles were a little quick Evil grin
                BTY

27F, rain. Shouldn't it be snow? Confused 5 lonely miles along the Hudson River at lunch time. Didn't actually get saturated and a little cold until the last mile - was quite comfy til then. Also seemed to slow down considerably as I got heavier. Big grin Now I have a nice 2 days of rest until my 10k program begins on Monday with a nice short and sweet 3-miler. Just curious - I was going to post my 78.7 miles for the month of January on the monthly mileage thread, but noticed that just about everyone posting their miles was in the 100 - 300 mile range. Are most of you that came over from CR marathoners and half-marathoners? The monthly thread used to have more of us in the 50 - 100 mile range. That's monthly, not weekly. Again, curious. Wondering if the "shorter distance" runners went to a different site. bty
                  Teresadfp

One day at a time

bty, I ran 71.5 miles in January and am quite happy with myself! Maybe I'll be higher volume one of these days, but not yet. I set out for my long run of 6 miles today when it was 24 degrees and windy. I felt so good that I went 6.2 miles in 1:11:36! That's the farthest I've gone so far, and beats my only 10k time (when I walked a little) by 8 minutes. Every once in awhile, I get in a groove when I think, "Wow, this is why people like to run!" LOL. Teresa
                      Soundrunner - personally, I like Teenage Wasteland to get them up and moving. Scheduled rest day for me today which worked out well. Working at a high school makes you susceptible to all the "crud" the kids pass around. Unfortunately, they've passed it to me. Hopefully, it will turn out to be a 24 hour thing so I can get a long run in tomorrow or Sunday. Perhaps some of our friends facing too much sunshine and warm weather could send a little of it up my way. If it's not below zero, it's been snowing these last couple of weeks and it's getting old real fast! I've almost forgotten what it's like to run without layers of UnderArmour and YaxTrax. The Patriots look like a sure thing Sunday. Lost respect for Michael Strahan after hearing him whine about all the Giants getting sick from playing in the cold in Green Bay. I just hope it's a close game and not a blowout like some Super Bowls in the past. Those are painful to watch. Henrun, we're big crossword puzzle people also. I usually do our local paper and DH does the USA Today, then we fight over the local on Saturdays and Sundays. That's smart to copy it so you can both do it. We'll try it this weekend. Kevin, prayers and kind thoughts to your DW's uncle. I know your wife appreciates your support. Enjoy your weekends, Boomers.
                        Way to go Teresa! Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

TammyinGP

Just curious - I was going to post my 78.7 miles for the month of January on the monthly mileage thread, but noticed that just about everyone posting their miles was in the 100 - 300 mile range. Are most of you that came over from CR marathoners and half-marathoners? The monthly thread used to have more of us in the 50 - 100 mile range. That's monthly, not weekly. Again, curious. Wondering if the "shorter distance" runners went to a different site. bty
                          BTY: I didn't post on the monthly mileage thread because I'm a KR regular and only pop in here occassionally. So, I felt like I should just post my monthlymileage where I'm a regular poster and not just a once-in-a-while visitor. But that's just me and may not be how others feel. Go ahead and post your mileage though - even if it's not 100+ miles. At CR everyone posted - whether it was 10 miles or 200 miles.

Tammy

Hill Runner

Quick post... Smile 7.52 miles of hills (very windy) @ 8:52 pace.

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
                            Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
                            Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

pfriese

Evening all, Another very windy run here. 7.5 miles @ 9:42/mile pace. Paul
                                Good evening Master runners! You know it's really a priveledge to share this group forum with all you fine folks. I've learned so much from each one of you. Stumpy, healing/loving/strengthening/comforting vibes out to you and your wife and her uncle and family. 6 easy miles for me @10:11 pace. After 3 miles, the wind layed low. Beautiful.
                                Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM