Masters Running

Black Friday (if you shop), 11.25.16 (Read 32 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Good 'decompression' 4 miles in the misty rain, Haller.

Small crowd yesterday, eh Mike? I'll bet you all had a blast. Very cool that you and Ryan will be working together on his marathon plan and training! Good for you for sticking to you 'no running' plan, and welcome back to it next week.

Good luck today at Grandpa's Wishbone 27-miler, Tet! #210 is mighty impressive, and well over 200 ahead of me.

Congrats on the AG hardware in your rainy but very quick turkey trot, Runrnut!

Glad you got to Rochester safely, Stumpy. Too bad you didn't have time to get into a Turkey Trot, but with the wet weather, it was probably just as well.

Good for you for "getting off easy" for Thanksgiving, Evanflein. I hope you got your run done, but that is mighty chilly weather you've got there.

Sounds like a great 10-miler and a great day, Holly, Turkey Trot or not.

It seems like we cooked half the day yesterday and ate the other half. We had some very tasty dishes, some that were OK, and one (the stuffing) that was overcooked, but that was completely gone by the end of the meal. I didn't know what to expect from the sweet potato cheese cake (which I made in a pie crust), but it was very tasty.

Early in the summer, we hired a guy (and his wife) to create 2 videos for the Seacoast Half Marathon - one to appeal to racers, and the other for prospective sponsors. They combined drone and ground video, stills, interviews, voice-over and music. We got the final drafts early this week, and both are fantastic. He had given us a great price for the project at the outset, and on Wednesday, he let us know he is not going to charge us anything because of the fundraising/donating aspects of the Seacoast Half. Wow! Meanwhile, a guy on our race committee had gotten his company to agree to pay for the videos. That company has just made a donation to a local home for children, so now they are going to increase that donation by the amount that they would have paid for the videos. We are truly fortunate to be affiliated with some amazing and incredibly generous people and organizations!

No real workout today, but I dd go for a 5.6 mi. walk in a light rain and 36F temps. I had a few aches along the way, but nothing serious. When I got back, my right hamstring was incredibly tight, and I couldn't fully stretch it out. So I'll just keep trying to work on it without overdoing it.

No, we have not, and will not be going near any retail stores today.

Have a greta Friday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

mrrun

great news Jay....

Hope everyone had a great turkey day = ran a drippy 3 this morning, was only spritzing when i went out..

an article on running in Alaska for Erika and tet  http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/23/magazine/running-into-danger-on-an-alaskan-trail.html?action=click&pgtype=Homepage&version=Moth-Visible&moduleDetail=inside-nyt-region-0&module=inside-nyt-region&region=inside-nyt-region&WT.nav=inside-nyt-region

and no stores tor us either,

marj

Easy  7 this morning, chilly but at least no rain. Also staying away from the stores today, will try to catch up on some work. Have a great day everyone and Happy Running!

...mornin' guys.......

==========

50-degrees here, and cloudy

..45-min HH in neighborhood

.....note to enke//..........I researched Oyster Casserole,

it's been around since the 1750's

and apparently my Mom's side of the family brought it with them from Virginia after the Revolutionary War

when they relocated to Kentucky

which is Pretty Cool,,,,,,,,,,but it IS an acquired taste....

...................good running guys...

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Mike E

MM #5615

Thanks for the article, Marj.  You Alaskans be careful!!!  I always worry about Mikey with all that he does in the woods up there, too. Okay--better get back to work.

evanflein

Hey Marj, I've run on those trails the author mentions. And I've had a biker alert me to a bear up ahead, but I never saw it (that's a good thing). But yes, bears are common in the urban areas around Anchorage and Juneau, not much here so I don't worry about them. Except sometimes when I'm off on the Ester Dome trails on the other side of the hill because if I'm gonna see one, that would be the place. Never has happened though.

Jay, sweet deal for the race videos! That's very generous, you'd think they'd at least charge enough to cover costs. And yes, the downside of "getting off easy" on the dinner work is no leftovers. So... I'm going to get a turkey and we'll do a smaller scale dinner here this weekend.

After working retail (Nordstrom) for over six years, there's no way I'll ever do the Black Friday nonsense. But we do need to go grocery shopping, mainly to get aforementioned turkey, so will head out later to do that. The crowds thin out quite a bit after noon so it shouldn't be too bad.

Ran 5.3 progressive pace miles on the treadmill yesterday. Not sure what I'll do today but will figure something out.

Happy Food Coma Recovery Day.  Got my 5 miles in yesterday morning, then relaxed the rest of the day.  We cooked a turkey yesterday, but that was it.  Shorty had a turkey sandwich and I ate a leg and a salad.  Later today it's turkey burritos.

Today it was 35 min of stat biking with 6 x 1 min very hard, followed by planks, a few sit ups, Jane Fondas, and stability ball balancing.  Now it's more relaxing and knitting. Tomorrow I'll be working.  . . . . yay . . . .

Enjoy!

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

I cannot believe how much I ate yesterday! I am taking an eating break today to make up for it. Well not quite, but close. No shopping for me. My DW went out however. I stayed home, cleaned away the thanksgiving decorations and set up the Christmas village. Like my halloween village but for Christmas.

One reason why I ate so much last night is that I made way too many dishes I like. Here are a few:

Clockwise from the left: collard greens, wheat berry and butternut squash salad, drunken cranberry sauce, Brussels sprout slaw with caramelized red onions and in the middle sausage and sage stuffing.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Marathon Maniac #957

Howdy folks!

Jay - very cool and generous!

Marj - cool article.  The biggest things I encounter are deer or stray dogs, although the stray dogs can be pretty scary sometimes.

Our usual tradition for Black Friday is to go to the tree farm out in the boonies and traipse across the fields with a wagon and saw and cut our tree down (after much debate as to which was the right tree), then have hot cocoa by the fire in the barn afterward.  Today we shared that with my brother, SIL, their son, and surprisingly, my dad.  I was sad to note that this is the farm's 50th and final year in operation, as the owners are retiring.  I told DD, "Maybe I should buy a fake tree at an after-Christmas sale for next year."  She was quite adamant that this would NOT be an option.  I guess we will have to find a new tree farm...

No run for me today, just swimming, 50 lengths (25 laps).

Happy Friday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

I am very sorry to post this. Mariposai asked me to let everyone here at RA know that she will be offline for a few days or more. Her dad is very ill and unlikely to live much longer. She is heading down to Paraguay as quickly as she can to see him, for what is likely one last time. I know she will be in everyone's wishes and prayers.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

{{{Posie Lady}}}  Thanks for letting us know, 2Kitty. 

Leslie
                        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Oh, how sad about Posai's papa. I know that she was planning a trip next year to see him again. Prayers to the family. Thanks for keeping us in the loop, twocat.

I will go back and catch up to what Thanksgiving activities I missed but am headed for bed soon. Twocat, your spread looked fantastic, except the collard greens. Jay, i don't know about that cheesecake, though. We are having our thanksgiving dinner tomorrow so MrStarr and I spent yesterday watching football, putting up decorations (Thanksgiving in the dining room and Christmas everywhere else). The kids and grandkids got here in time for supper, 2 different hot dishes (this is MN after all!), roasted vegetables, 7 layer jello and biscuits. Desserts are apple cake, pecan pie bars and pumpkin bars,,, same for tomorrow.

I did go shopping today after I made butternut squash soup, worked on some quilts and made that food for supper. Today is Shop local day" so I went to several unique stores downtown and enjoyed getting out for an hour or so. I ordered my Black Friday deal on Kohl's tonight, two pairs of boots and a tiered serving tray for $55 using up my Kohl's cash that would have expired.

Did I mention that we have all six grandkids here tonight and the adult kids are at the hotel? Wish me luck with that! They are 7, 6, 5, 3, 3 and ten months.

I haven' run for about a week now due to obligations with the orchestra and at church, plus I really don't run much in the winter.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

an article on running in Alaska for Erika and tet 

MORE BEAR STORIES

Wow, marj, except for the hiding in skinny alders instead of scooting up a tree, I got goose bumps too close to home from that story. By coincidence, I just picked up two more cow bells at today’s Seattle Marathon Expo for GS’s knapsack when we go hiking.
                            No bears in Bicentennial Park but my dog got the attention of a cow moose who’d treed me to protect her calves but, starting in 1958 when I was 15, three times in the next ten years I thought I was a goner up there.

For me too, it’s like yesterday as I still remember the mutual shock in our surprised eyes looking at each other as I crested a similar small knoll while mama grizzly sow and two cubs were feeding on blueberries at the bottom. With red jowls growling and snarling dealy gutterals through blood red gums, white incisors and white slobber flying all over the place, she instantaneously lowered her massive head and charged, lumbering up the hill at me exactly the same as the author. Fortunately, I got high enough up a big cottonwood (that later was unscalable when I tried sine adrenalin) and the cubs had run off into the woods instead of staying put in a tree (that brownies can’t climb) so she just circled around once and went back to the cubs intead of standing erect to rip me down and maul me to death. I can still smell her foul breath similar to skunk cabbage that still gives me a start in the woods.
                            My dearly beloved marathon mentor who assured me for more than 15 years from 1977 (as she joyfully ran races into her sixties) that regular fitness runners who aren’t that fast can benefit from 26.2-milers as much, if not more, than everyone else who was so fast in those days when a four hour marathon was an embarrassment (if not over the cutoff time) and her runner son weren’t so lucky in 1994 and I’m grateful that erika taps her Equinox memorial marker for me every year. It would break me down.

As the author does, GS and I we sing loudly and say poems with me on the first part of a verse and GS chiming in for the last part of the verses, . . . with him always reminding me to be louder. With clanging cow bells, brear spray in one hand and a two-or-three pound rock in the other hand to try to shove down the bear’s throat as my last desperate act on earth, at least so my GS can run away, that's about all you can do. {ed’s note: even if you could, rock is probably about effective as the bear sprays that are mostly ineffective on raging sows with cubs to protect, no matter what).
                            In response to hikers who wonder why do it even on popular, crowded hiking trails,

I shut them up by responding that three of my friends who didn’t were mauled to death.
                            Much safer to go out to the viewing decks at the glacier

after each year’s Frank Maier Marathon and watch the black bear

feed on spawning sockeye salmon. They couldn’t care less

about humans watching them, if they even notice.

ps - the watching of humpback whales bubble feeding isn’t that bad either, . . .

or the next day’s marathon at the Wrangell Bear Festival.

ps - don't tell him but no wonder I was so scared

when posie's DS spotted a bear rossing the trail

in the dark forests ahead that I coudn't seen into

from the blinding sunshine of the open traverses

in the 2011 Light-at-the-end-of-the-Tunnel Marathon.

We waited until the bear went up tree to watch us,

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/23/magazine/running-into-danger-on-an-alaskan-trail.html?action=click&pgtype=Homepage&version=Moth-Visible&moduleDetail=inside-nyt-region-0&module=inside-nyt-region&region=inside-nyt-region&WT.nav=inside-nyt-region

I was in the middle of a rainy 22-mile run in Far North Bicentennial Park 

on the outskirts of Anchorage, where I live.
                            As I crested a hill, a crash sounded from my right,
                            and I instinctively moved to the left, expecting a moose.
                            But it was the sow with three cubs.
                            The cubs fled up a tree.
                            I hid behind a skinny grove of alder trees
                            Then it abruptly turned and charged directly at me.
                            Making noise and carrying bear spray is recommended.
                            I wore a bear bell attached to my hydration pack, and I sang, too,
                            time stood still. I felt every millisecond.
                            it charged a second time.
                            I wondered if this was how I would die.
                            the alders were my only protection.
                            Some things are worth the risk

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

two-cat:

please tell posie to tell Papa Pilo that Papa Jon will take care of her up here just like she knows I’m helping my own DD too. She’s like my running daughter, anyway. I wish I could’ve met him if he’d’ve come up here since running with his daughter. Having done it from Singapore in 1972, the day long fight being out-of-touch is the worst.

Clockwise from the left: collard greens, wheat berry and butternut squash salad, drunken cranberry sauce, Brussels sprout slaw with caramelized red onions and in the middle sausage and sage stuffing.

ps - I couldn’t figure out why so many make a menu when,

except for experimenting with stuffing, my Thanksgiving memu

is about the same as back to great-grandfather’s days

in the late 1800's.

Now I know.

WOW!

Grandpa's Wishbone 27-mile marathon.

After a four-year PR at the rainy Portland last month (6:00:34) and 6:39:27 in the this month’s In-Unity-We-Run NYC Remembrance Marathon here in Seattle I blame on the previous week’s Carkeek 12-hour Fun Run, I’m speechless for taking the 7:32:57 in today’s Grandpa’s Wishbone 27-mile Marathon Walkathon. [ed note: why do these pretenders think they can still run multiple marathons at the drop-of-a-hat as if they weren’t 73 or something?]

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

{{{Posie's Papa}

Tet - great job knocking out another marathon!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."