Masters Running

Friday, January 11th Master-Boomer runs (Read 641 times)

mustang sally

Bad faerie

Well that decides it. I know which Solarmix I'm listening to during my pre-race warmup on Sunday. Blush I'm resting today after a bout of sharpening intervals at the track last night, in the pouring rain. 8x200 with 200m shuffle-to-full-recovery between. 45,45,45,44,46,44,45,45. Max HR toward the end was peaking around 183, which leaves me a little head room. On deck for tomorrow: 40 min EZPZ, then 8 measly km on Sunday while all our racing gods and goddesses go the distance.
    BTY

4 miles along the Hudson River in a light rain, 36F, 38:45. 4x100m strides at the end for the first time in a while. This was the first I've run 4 times in one week since the 2nd week of November. Hoo-Hah. Have a great weekend everyone. Good luck to racers.

Marathon Maniac #957

I used the scanner here at work to scan my children's Santa photo so I could e-mail it to relatives, so I thought I'd share it with you. My son told me this is the last Santa photo he will take. (sniff, sniff) I was actually hoping he would take one every year until he moved out of the house...

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Oooo Oooo, I get to post another "8 miles" along with you others! How cool. It was supposed to be 10miles but my heart lungs legs just weren't into it. Ok, my brain was actually the one rebelling. Too windy for outside, really windy! Dreadmill run, yuck. Not enough distractions. Those 200's are looking pretty good mustang. I noticed from Erika's post last night that her "warm-up" pace is my tempo pace Sad But that's ok... Cry I'll get over it... Smile

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Everyone's runs, even in rain or humidity, sound wonderful. I'm envious. I just keep posting my boring same ol', same ol' (went to the gym and worked out on the eliptical) because if anyone reading is in the same boat (or, on the same platform?), a little co-misery is always appreciated, no? McSolar is just auditioning to be a pace bunny, not to worry. I'm liking the chess and high school musical stories. Good weekends, everyone! (One of our two newbies here at work, who's still in her 20s, confided to me today that she's really tired, and then went on to observe, "and I'm not even at the level you all are at!" Hmm...so there's perhaps a good reason I fall asleep on Friday before 10!) grins, A
            Masters 2000 miles
              (mcsolar decides he is useless at work today. puts on his indian jones hat and jumps on the desk) "da da da daaaa, da da da, da da da daaaa, da da da da da da da da daaaa, da da daaaa, da da daa da, da daa da, da da." (jumps off the desk and walks to the parking lot)
                Hello all, I am sitting in the Dayton airport and waiting to head back to Massachusetts in just a short while. I laughed out loud after reading all of MC's posts and even uttered a few of the lyrics out loud. My fellow passengers are perplexed, but they perhaps don't know what it is to be a taper-mad runner just raring to go. Holly posted the run and I'll just add that it was a great one and much fun. Holly didn't tell y'all that she drove out to my hotel and arrived at 4:50 AM---giving me ample time for a run and to get beautified (or as close as I'll ever get) in time for meetings today. Thanks again Holly! The wind blew us sideways at times, but never strong enough to blow us off course. Happy Friday and go for it all you racers CNY
                  What a great day. I met my new classics buddy for the first time, a little old lady with gray hair who wants to read Cicero's De Amicitia with me, starting Sunday afternoon. We had a great time chatting over coffee and a snack at the local diner. She is a Godsend to me: has studied Latin, Greek, French, and a little Hebrew, Aramaic, and other languages. During the warmer months, she works part-time at a local farm that has been in the same family's hands for 11 generations, since 1683. The farm is having a hard time, so I intend to support it with my mite. One way the farm family gets through the winters is by selling shares in the produce of the upcoming season: organically grown vegetables and meat. You tell them what you want, pay (say) a $500 share up front, and then during the season you pick up your bag of groceries every week. Buying from the farm supports local growers, supports organic farming, reduces dependence on costly shipping of produce from far away, and not least in my opinion, supports a family that is an important part of local history. My friend says the farmer is a smart man who never finished high school but is an avid student of the Federalist Papers and the American presidency. So I plan to get with their program. Oh yes, my workout today: 2 miles on the treadmill 1 mile on the elliptical stretching 100 pushups 100 situps 100 bench dips hip exercises Great to see so many people posting, especially Mustang Sally and Enkephalin, both of whom I am in love with. Dark Horse
                  I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.
                    So sorry to see mcsolar has finally snapped. I saw this coming long ago but didn't want to say anything. Dark Horse
                      My little old lady classics friend is looking for a room in Newburyport's South End, which resembles Beacon Hill in Boston in several respects: it is expensive--well, all of Newburyport is expensive--trendy, and crowded with old houses on postage-stamp lots. Toward this end, I phoned two of my friends who live in the South End, and went to visit Addie, another lady we know who recently moved to an apartment in the South End. I had to drive across town and knock on Addie's door because we didn't have her phone number and she uses a cell phone. Dark Mare had told me the poor lady has been suffering from an infestation of fleas in her apartment; perhaps the last inhabitant had a pet. Then again, Addie is just returned from backpacking through Europe, and who knows what kinds of places she stayed in, so she may have brought back the fleas from Europe. Anyway, I stood outside on the mat while talking to her, nor did she invite me in. While we were talking, both my ankles began to itch. I couldn't possibly bend over and start scratching my ankles, especially under the circumstances. But I did leave soon thereafter. At home I rolled down my socks but didn't see anything that shouldn't be there. National Guard drill tomorrow, so you may not have me to kick around again till Sunday. Dark Horse
                      Mariposai

So sorry to see mcsolar has finally snapped. I saw this coming long ago but didn't want to say anything. Dark Horse
                        Ohh poor Mc who would have thought this would happen to him. Now that he has finally snapped... who is going to do the solar mixes for us now. Sad, sad, sad day indeed. Cry Cry 5 magnificent miles of XC skiing with my sweetheart this afternoon. I will try to post some pictures later. It was amazing to see my HR in the high 140 during the bulk of the time. My DH is a ripper when it comes to skiing. The snow is in such a good condition that I may just try to do it again tomorrow.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

My DH is a ripper when it comes to skiing.
                          Mariposai, I am a ripper when it comes to bodices, but skiing, not so much. I used to get so cold, I finally gave it up. But you go, girl, and your DH, too. We are all good at different things. Dark Horse
                            (mcsolar ponders the solarmix11 playlist. curses himself for not including the single most important hollywood film track, so far, from the 21st century) "spiderpig, spiderpig, does whatever a spiderpig does. can he swing from a web? no he can't, he's a pig LOOKOUT! He is a Spiderpig! LOOKOUT! He is a Spiderpig!" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1R828rFd2aI

Manchild

I ran in rain today along State Beach. Thought it was blown sand at first as it was extremely windy and there was lightning over the water! Any way following my physical with the new doctor, I ran 4.3 miles easily in 37:57:57. Have a great evening Boomers! Chris
                              Mariposai

yeap MC... spider pig would have given me a better rhythm as I was ripping down the hills. Oh, well... you still have around 30 plus hours before you are scheduled to rip the race course...enough time for solar mix 12, right? Skiing today was heaven on earth. It does not get any better than this. Here I am at the trailhead...thinking that I was miserably under dressed and anticipating a cold miserable day. Here is me with two layers off after trying to keep up with Mr. Ripper.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard