Masters Running

Relay for Life....my feeble attempt at a 24 hour endurance run (Read 328 times)

munchkn883

I'm sitting here with tears trying to figure out what to say. When I'm down and want to stop, all of you give me the courage to keep going. I wasn't able to meet my sister this year to do Relay for Life. Right now my plan is to do the Avon 2-Day Breast Cancer Walk in Charlotte. This will be my friend's third year and I'm hoping to join them. I'm waiting until after the results of my PET/CT scan are back before making it official. We went to San Luis Obispo and Cambria during one of our motorcycle trips a few years ago. It was beautiful! We got there just in time to see the sunset! Congratulations on your 40 miles!
      We went to San Luis Obispo and Cambria during one of our motorcycle trips a few years ago. It was beautiful! We got there just in time to see the sunset!
      Did you get a chance to ride up (down?) Highway 1? It's absolutely some the most gorgeous coastline, but you definitely can't be in a hurry. Cambria was a wonderful place to grow up. Nice small town (260 in my high school).

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

huskydon

Jim, You showed grit and determination and tremendous spirit, not feebleness in any way. It was probably not the most rational thing you've ever done, but you will never forget this special run. It was so hot for us running an hour, I don't know how you could stand running/ walking in the heat for so much of the day. And there was that beautiful tribute to munch, we are all touched. Thanks so much for sharing. We do need to talk to you about doing yard work in the hot sun prior to running, though...... huskydon

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

At 9:00 I found Chris and . . . thanked him for being my inspiration
          And we thank you jim for being our inspiration to someday do our own 24 hour epics too. It's a good thing you entered the 24 hour division atl the last minute or those of us who have attempted 12 hour runs and other lesser events would have surely been joining your DW in tryin' to talk you out of it. In fact, few would even recommend doing 24 minutes in those temperatures and what the books would say was wholly inadequate, if not feeble, trainng and tapering. Maybe not doing it just for you provided the extra incentive necessary to accomplish a feat that sometimes isn't even possible when conscientiously training (and tapering) by the book. Fortunately, who needs a book when you're running with your heart? Having done a recent 12 hour event and some up to 17 hours too when the books said I shouldn't have, my spur-of-the-moment 10 hour experimental all nighter last week had me starting to think that 24 hours was out of the question at this stage. I guess I forgot about the heart part. But not any more. thanks jim.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

King of PhotoShop

You are a very courageous man to do this kind of event. We were all worried about you because of the heat. What a fascinating report. Well done Jim. Spareribs
              hi SLOJim, thanks for explaining how you can handle running on a track for long distances. That little girl selling sweets sounded really cute. You earned the treats you got from her!
                Jim, Awesome running and participation in this event. That is a lot of running and it's nice that you were able to go home once in awhile and have a shower and some food. Congratulations. Maybe some day it will inspire me to do the same Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

huskydon

Jim, As you say elsewhere, next time this happens, you can get a team together and we each can take turns running an hour or two. It is a great cause and sounds like a great event, so I am sure some of us would like to take part. You do have to do something about the triple digit temperatures though..... huskydon
                    Jim, As you say elsewhere, next time this happens, you can get a team together and we each can take turns running an hour or two. It is a great cause and sounds like a great event, so I am sure some of us would like to take part. You do have to do something about the triple digit temperatures though..... huskydon
                    Don, It is a wonderful fund raiser for the ACS ! And I am planning on returning next year and would love to have a group of runners join me on our own team. We have a ton of camping equipment and could make it quite comfortable for anyone wanting to join us. I think you had mentioned you always wondered how far you go in 24 hrs Big grin

The Jogger

This was an incredible report / journey. Absolutely brilliant. I hope you keep in touch with Chris. Well done Jim. Roy
                        ..the sign for munch was the Best Part........ ....thanks Slojim. you're a hell of a racer.......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Top 'O the World!

Let me just say, I am in awe! Cool Smile
                          Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

Marathon Maniac #957

Reading this brought tears to my eyes... thank you for sharing this...

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."