Masters Running

JANUARY Plank Challenge 1/28 - 1/31 (Read 30 times)

TammyinGP

we are finally up to 180 seconds of planks! 3 minutes of some hard core planking! Hopefully by now your cores are feeling a bit harder too.

The challenge this week is not only to increase the time up to 180 seconds, but to do two sets a day. as usual, increase your time based on what you were doing last week but as a guideline you can 90 seconds of a forward plank and 45 seconds on each side.

Last four days of the monthly challenge so give it a great effort!

Tammy

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Twice a day, eh? I was just thinking how it would feel to do some planks after my run today, even though I'd already done them before. Guess I'll be finding out tomorrow!

TammyinGP

well, OM, you are already doing more minutes worth of planks that most people are doing in 3 days! You are sort of in a plank-class by yourself!  lol

Tammy

TammyinGP

Did my 3 minutes of planks this morning. ouch ouch ouch! I did some core work at the gym yesterday, in addition to my planks at home, so my whole midsection was a bit sore this morning.

1:30 forward plank

:45  on each side.

When I do my planks, I typically transition to each one w/o a break, so I'll roll right from my forward plank to my side plank, then to my other side plank, so my core is engaged for the entire time. Today was really hurting when I did that!

Tammy

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Before my run:
            3x :60 prone
            2x :45 side
            1x :60 prone

5:50 total

After my run:
            4x :30 single leg prone
            2x :45 side

5:50 total

11:00 overall. Felt good and strong after the 8.5 miles to try a couple single leg holds for a change.

Unlike you, Tammy, I rest between sets, either in child's pose or in a baby cobra, to stretch out my back. Us old folks need breaks. Wink

coastwalker

Jan. 28, early.

1 X 120 - forward plank

2 X 45 - side planks

1 X 180 - glute bridge

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Marathon Maniac #957

we are finally up to 180 seconds of planks! 3 minutes of some hard core planking!

The challenge this week is not only to increase the time up to 180 seconds, but to do two sets a day.

So you are saying, we're not supposed to do 180 seconds, but rather 360 seconds?

That's a pretty big jump.

3 minutes of planks this morning.  None tonight.

Just no energy after the usual terrifying Monday at work.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

OrangeMat

MM #6177

So you are saying, we're not supposed to do 180 seconds, but rather 360 seconds?

That's a pretty big jump.

I split my routine in half, sort of. Ended up with more time than usual, but hey, what's an extra five minutes out of one's day? Actually, I like the 5 minutes before a run and 5 minutes after, makes for a nice finish to the sweat. But of course today was only day one....

TammyinGP

yeah, it's a big jump but i figured, if those that want to, did one set in the morning and another in the evening, that it would be do-able. basically 12 hrs apart or thereabouts. not all at once.

or just stick with the 180 seconds and that's fine too. this was just to add some additional challenge because as I was sort of following what most folks had been doing each week, it was almost always more than what I was putting in the original challenge for the week.

except for MikeE - he always does just the minimum, plus gives me a hard time on my lack of math skills, so he has to do more this week Joking

eta: and there are only 4 days this week left in the challenge. Then I gotta come up with something else and I'm not getting any inspiration. anyone dying to do something in particular?

Tammy

Marathon Maniac #957

except for MikeE - he always does just the minimum,

Same here, but that's what I've got to give right now....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mike E

MM #5615

Okay--Tammy--I did your 360 seconds of planks!  I did 100 crunches...then I did 90 seconds forward + 45 seconds each side...then ran 6.3 miles...then lifted weights for 21 minutes...then did 100 crunches...then did 90 seconds forward + 45 seconds each side.  I hope you're happy!

TammyinGP

Big grinBig grinBig grinBig grinBig grinBig grinBig grin

you are making great progress Mike - especially considering you were only doing 4 seconds not that long ago.

you should have a beer now.

Tammy

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Are we doing beer planks now? That's going to take the challenge to a whole 'nother level....

TammyinGP

beer planks! ooo, that could be fun. . . or disasterous. I choose fun! Maybe to celebrate the last day of the month after 31 days of planking.  I'll buy the virtual round of beers, with all that virtual money I have Big grin

Tammy

Marathon Maniac #957

eta: and there are only 4 days this week left in the challenge. Then I gotta come up with something else and I'm not getting any inspiration. anyone dying to do something in particular?

Push ups?

Squats?

One-legged dead lifts? (You have to be careful of these, though, because they are very butt-specific and it doesn't take many to really feel them.)

My butt could really use a butt-specific challenge, though.....Roll eyes