Masters Running

Huntington Beach Distance Derby 10 Mile RR (Read 312 times)

huskydon

Short report: Ran well (81:07). A side stitch at mile 8 put an abrupt end to dreams of sub 80. It was fun seeing and meeting lots of folks too. This has always been a good race for me, and this was the 3rd time I’ve run the 10 mile race here (05: 88:26, 06: 84:47). I like the flat course, and today the temp was close to ideal, right around 60 deg for the 10 milers. (the 5 mi race starts 90 min later, and some folks we know were doing both). This was the 54th running of this event. You run south on the bike path for 2.5 miles, then turn around and go 5 miles north, then turn around for the final 2.5 miles (I could have gotten north and south mixed up). My splits for each of the quarters: 19:50/ 20:03/ 20:10/ 21:04. After 7.5 miles I was right on pace for 80 minutes, but I got this side stitch at mile 8 (which took 8:48) and after that it wasn’t much fun. The last couple miles I felt like I was barely moving, and 6 people passed me. Here are the mile splits: 8:18 8:18 (seemed long) 7:35 15:53 8:03 23:56 7:47 31:43 8:10 39:53 7:53 47:46 8:00 55:46 8:48 64:34 8:13 72:47 8:20 81:07 Perhaps in keeping with the economy, there was no goodie bag. However there was usual cotton T-shirt along with plentiful food and drinks afterwards. Lleneforward & slojim were there, as were travelmama and digital_man from the RW forum. Several from Llene’s club were there, and I reacquainted myself with some, and met some new friends. The group did very well. Finally, one of my church friends ran the 5 mile race, coming in 2nd in his AG. I note that had I ran in the 5 mile race, I could have taken home something shiny. Well, I guess that’s what its like when you run with the big boys. (I was 98th OA and around 16th in my AG; not sure how many were there, it seemed less than when the event was in Aug). Still, I am happy with my time, and the 8:07 pace for 10 miles is pretty consistent with my current 10K pace (7:50 per mile). You can’t go wrong with a 3:40 min PR. Still, one can’t help wonder what if. Not sure what happened with the side stitch, I haven’t experienced these before. My stomach was a bit upset during the race, I could tell, but I didn’t think the two were connected. Thanks for reading. huskydon

Renee the dog

Sorry about the side stitch but way to go with the PR!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Great runnin" Husky man. (at least the UW produced some runners!) Maybe getting ready for anothe big one <>GreenRiver)>>> no particular reason but did you see anyone else who might have gotten another PR?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

#artbydmcbride

Great job Huskydon, it was so good to see you too! You get faster with every race. I am amazed at you! You gutted out an awesome PR too even with that side stitch. Great job!

Runners run

Sounds like a good race. I love running along the beach out there. Hard to concentrate for a variety of reasons... Wink Congrats! TC

"I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead..." J. Buffett There are two rules in life: 1.) Don't sweat the small stuff 2.) It's ALL small stuff

Congrats Don Smile another fine race and a BIG PR!!! you just keep getting faster unlike some of us Wink Looks like your splits are getting more even, I'm sure paying off in the longer races. It's too bad about 8 mile, but now you're just going to have to come back next year for another PR! It was nice seeing so many of the usual faces today... and with some very impressive times. I don't know if you're interested, but we have another Saturday race next in Long Beach ... Running Scared ... a 5K and 10K and it's even flatter than today's race!
                Sorry about the side stitch. Been there, done that. They really hurt like heck. I am trying to focus on belly breathing. You can practice by lying on a bed, put one hand on your belly, the other on your chest. Breathe deeply and try not to expand your ribcage. Only lower hand should move up and down with inhale/exhale. Also try forceful exhaling when you land on your right foot. You keep getting better and better....way to go!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

congrats on a great PR!! sorry about the side stitch - what a bummer but you still did GREAT!!

denise

nice work, Huskydon...PR!
                    Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                    SteveP

Bless your PR HuskyDon!!!! Stoopid side stiches anyway. It's kewl you got the meet cyber runners. Thanks for the RR.

SteveP

Good race with PR, husky. It's neat that you got to see so many friends. Congratulations. TomS
                          Nice race Don...way to hang tough under some difficult circumstances. It's a very good sign to run a big PR with the stuff you had to overcome. Well done!
                          Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33