Masters Running

How a rainy, cold, slow, lousy, rotten, miserable, pathetic, carpy, first marathon of the year became one for the ages. (Read 361 times)

Maniac 505

Jon: Great job on an ugly day. I have been really worried about the Yakima marathon with a base of only around 25 miles a week for the last three weeks. I feel so over prepared now. Confused
    arf

MM #405

jon...Ilene is sending you a Hot Toddy , and I am sending you several Irish Coffees...we should have you WELL warmed up in no time! Congrats on finishing this cold, wet marathon...you are amazing. And what's wrong with a 5 or 6 hour marathon? i am definitely proud to be part of this group! Looking so forward to seeing you, hugs, arf
        Amazing, just amazing. You tackle these with such joy even in the worst of conditions. I am hope you are warming up now and no doubt getting ready for the next adventure. One for the ages is right.
        Mariposai

Only our beloved taper boy can turn a carpy race into a "Marathon of all ages" Like others said it here, you keep inspiring us to go beyond what we think our training can do for us. What a way to tough it out in such a horrid condition. Congrats.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

{{{Tetsujin}}} Icky day, kitchen timer, banged up knee, puffy coat...oh my Black eye You need a cup of tea (heck, after reading that, I need a cup of tea too). Rest well, dear friend.

Marathon Maniac #957

Tet - just getting out there in those conditions is enough to put you and Franc and Stevie Ray on my "Herioc" list, let alone sticking it out for 6 1/2 hours!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Tet - just getting out there in those conditions is enough to put you and Franc and Stevie Ray on my "Herioc" list, let alone sticking it out for 6 1/2 hours!
                ditto!! you are all amazing!!

denise

Big grinBravo!!! I also am LOL, but very impressed. A sense of humor too! And the kitchen timer part and thongs makes my day. Woods Lady aka Ma Econo

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Thanks woods goddess for reminding me of running around and around Green Lake for 6hr/40min in that drenching downpour last Saturday. Fortunately, it’s sunny today and the cherry blossoms are itching to burst out all over the place this weekend. I’ve come to appreciate that my choice of footwear, and lack thereof, might not be that mainstream but I never dreamed that kitchen timer wouldn’t be anything except as honored as the mirrors I Rube-Goldberged to hang from my bike handlebars to be able to minimize wind resistence in the cycling section of triathlons by keeping down on the aerobars. dive/arf - hope it’s sunny and warm down the Yakima River Canyon tomorrow too, . . . and that that Chinese dimsum and crispy-fried shrimp heads at lunch to day helps; thanks for stopping by. arf/ilene - hot toddies irish coffee already sunchecked for the Seattle RnR; hope you can somehow make it arflie. stevie/frankie - coverin’ the same mileage but getting out of the inclement elements up to two hours earlier is the best recommendation for training yet. Maybe I’ll try it out someday, . . . but not until after an upcoming 50K on the rails-to-trails 50K route of the Mt. Si ultra-marathon. tammy - maybe we should include the pool/spa area at the Green Lake community center on the RnR agenda. Smile. coastwalker - it hasn’t happened much but finishing strong sure can transform an otherwise typical run into a joy to behold and remember.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)