Masters Running

Saturday, Jan 9, Runs and Other Oddments (Read 386 times)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

francesca - you're a blessed dea as the sun seems to be trying to break through and it might turn out to be the first time in more than a dozen years that the Bridle Trails Poop, . . I mean mud run isn't in the rain, snow, sleet and cold.  however, after getting lost on my first and only try, being truly hypothermic for the first time in my life, and DNF'ing with 60% of the other starters is gunna make it a cold day in double-toothpicks before I ever go Bridle again.  ps - keep your shoes on.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

evanflein

Tet, I have to agree with you on that one!

Erika is right,  the King and I are in sync this year.

Frankie, way to go girl, that is awesome.

Berger and Sue, way to tough it out.  Heavy rain below about 40F gets ugly....hypothermia.

I feel pretty wimpy and shamefully lucky to be running in 48F fog/sunshine.  Another three miles, this time no urge to walk and I shaved a few minutes off, so I was happy about that.  I don't care that I am still as slow as a slug, they usually make it to their destination.  No aches or pains so I might try for 4 miles tomorrow.

Rum in your water bottle....definitely needs some experimentation Perch.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

I Can Go The Distance

Good Afternoon Everyone

Holly: Congrats on your first client. Hope all goes well with client #2 today.

Bill: I vote for you for the Tough Guy award! I thought it was suppose to be warm in South Flordia?

I don't know how all you cold weather people do it. I guess you just get used to it if you are going to run at all during the winter.

Sue: Good job in the half. Good luck with the marathon tomorrow.

Perch and DG: Nice job on the long run. Two more cold weather runners!

I did 16 miles today in 2:40:36 (10:03/mi). I did part of my run to the Redondo Beach Pier on the trials today. I should do that more often, no cars, no bikes, just peace and quiet. It was great. This is the longest run I have done in a long time. After my 6 mile recovery run tomorrow it will also be a PR for weekly mileage-60 miles. If I do that again next week I can say that I did 60 miles at 60 year's old (birthday on Wednesday) cool! And to think that when I was 50 and overweight I thought my running days were over.

Have a great day all,

Bruce

"Don't give up, don't ever give up." Jim Valvano

Savoir c'est pouvoir

Holly, congrats on your first client!

Sue, I hope you have a restful evening.

Bruce, Impressive mileage this week.

I ran an 8+ mile trail race in a park just south of Dayton this morning. 18F at the start with about 5" of snow on the trail that was still falling lightly as we ran. Simply beautiful!

I finished in 1:08:55 (8:21) coming in about 15 seconds behind the runner I was chasing. I think I finished around 8th place but lost track of runners ahead on the winding trails.

There was an outdoor fire and hot chicken noodle soup for the 60 or so finishers. This was a club race so $3 and chip timing made it worth the drive up from Cincinnati.

Have a great weekend!

Mike

Some awesome running in evil temps today, but I think the "Way to Tough It Out" awards go to Byll and Sue for running in the cold where it really should be warm.

A friend from church choir is in Disney this weekend to celebrate her 50th.  She had planned on running the marathon, but was just diagnosed with some kind of disc problem in her back, so she's a spectator this year.  Bummer enough that she can't run, but she talked three friends into running it this year - all of them first-time marathoners.  I can't help but wonder if she's a tiny bit relieved that, if she had to skip a marathon at Disney, it happened this year.

Nono - thanks for the offer to run with you at the beginning of OD.  I definitely hope we can meet in real life that day, but even after you run Shamrock the week before, there's no way that I wouldn't hold you back, even in the first mile.  Maybe I can park at the 10M finish line and make it to the marathon finish line in time to celebrate with you.

Erika - glad you could put at Smile after mentioning your foot/ankle; patience

Bruce - happy birthday;  too bad it's not a day earlier then it would be a really special day on which to have been born  Wink  As for me, I'll be going to see "Wicked" on Tuesday for my celebration.  

I didn't come close to running the miles I'd hoped today, but since I wimped out altogether when the temps dropped below 30 during prior winters, I'm pretty darn proud of myself for getting out there at all.  Temp was around 28, wind chill in the high teens.  Weird thing is that I didn't feel that cold, so I guess I nailed the clothing thing today, but it felt as though I was dressed in lead from head to toe.  I trucked along for about an hour until stomach distress hit.  I'd purposely done mini-loops around the neighborhood so I'd be close to home because of the cold.  Whew.  Felt completely depleted when I first went back outside, but rallied and managed to run enough for a total of 6.2 miles walking and 1 running.

Disappointing, since I was planning 10, but I'm pretty sure I'll be on track with the long runs by the end of the month, which will be great, unless we have the coldest February in 25 years too!

Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

Holly S.  Congratulations!  I hope client #2 goes well and clients #3 . . . . #52943082 as well!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Oops - sorry, Holly, forgot to congratulate you on your first client earlier.  WTG!

flomotioncoaching.com

Eliz - nothing wrong with 7.2 miles under those circumstances - you did good!

Erika - glad the foot/ankle is doing well too!

Bill and all - thanks for the words of support.  Tet - I packed throwaway clothes, so I'm covered on that front for tomorrow.  I'm definitely doing the balaclava tomorrow (yes, Perch, even in Orlando - also known as southern Alaska this weekend).  

nono - you know me too well - of course I'm going to finish for the Goofy medal - it's a special one because of the 5th year anniversary of the Goofy.  It's so cool!!  

Following 15 minutes in the scalding hot shower, I slept all afternoon.  DH and I took the bus (no water taxi for me on this trip) to Downtown Disney for dinner at the House of Blues.  I've got all my stuff laid out in anticipation of the 3:00 AM wakeup call, and I'm ready to turn in.  

Think warm thoughts for me tomorrow morning!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

SteveP

We have every faith in you Holly.

Way To Go Tough Guy Bill!!!!Sue should get a golden Tough Gal Award!!! Yikes!

I like your running club Sarge..

Happy late birthday Enke....Or maybe early birthday..We're just glad to see you...

Good luck on re organizing Erika...You had to go and set that bar didn't ya???

If Tet suggest keeping your shes on, this must be serious.

That sounds like a wonderful race Mike!

You did good Eliz!

The miles this week sucked!!!! Wednesday a customer took 4 hours to do a 1 hour unload and it snow balled the rest of my work week. And personal week. The rest of the customers got tied of waiting and I had to unload my self. Wednesday.

Today was heavy at Job#2, but I did manage to get to the running store and sign up for next weekend's Frozen Foot 5 Miler. Tag was happy to hear that he can race too!!! We also signed up to work the Big Foot Boogie the following weekend.

DG, I talked with a Bayshore RD. I asked if he could work you in. He's not doing that.

SteveP