Masters Running

April 23....Wednesday (Hump Day) daily (Read 522 times)

King of PhotoShop

So I forgot you Holly? Didn't we meet before? I must have forgotten. And anyway, where are these pictures of you that Roch is talking about? Karin, I know you travel more than I do. Instead of comparing notes on training, maybe we should talk about how much we love the TSA. Loved your post-marathon recovery thread. The chocolate milk comment is a little known fact I think. It has been researched as the perfect post-race recovery drink. Go figure. I'm at Detroit Metro waiting for flight home. I loved Erika's post yesterday while she was waiting for her flight, and thinking about what a long trip that was for her. Back to running tomorrow. I needed this day off, as I worked really hard today, and on my feet the whole time. Tired. Spareribs
      Enke......You are going to do SUPER at Eugene. You have prepared well with lots of miles. I am excited for you and Mariposia is right about just following through with the taper plan and let it happen. I would love to be there to celebrate it. My Mockingbirds are still guarding the three eggs. I figure we are in the final 5 days during which they will hatch, assuming the book on them is correct. I am posting on the blog most days with information but will post in here when the birds hatch.
      Vista
        I just logged on to see what was new since I posted this morning and found I hadn't posted. I clearly remember typing a post. At least I think I do. Maybe I typed it and didn't hit the "post". Maybe I don't know what happened. I don't know whether to blame "old timers disease" or the "poop for brains syndrome" I've had my whole life. At any rate, I'll try again. We were gone most of monday so I couldn't check in on the Boston updates as the race progressed. When we got home, it was nice to find the results posted and read the comments that were posted while the race was going on. It was just like an instant replay. The reports I've read are great and I look forward to more. It sounds like a great time for all who were in Boston. Hopeful, congrats on your PR week. Twocat, you were wise to DNS under the circumstances. You'll be back stronger than ever. The Livonia meeting of dg, spareribs, and roch sounds like a lot of fun. Dave, the cat picture made a big hit with my wife who is a cat lover. Nice long runs for biketm, Peter, and Teresa (new distance PR - You're definitely on schedule for that Sept. marathon. Good job on the speedwork Jlynne and BC. This morning, the temp was in the mid to high 50s, there was a little wind, and the sky was clear. I got in 12 miles in a bit under 1:59 for a 9:53 pace. A good day and good runs for all. TomS
          ... well one of them passed away on Monday under the care of hospice. It happened at 3:45pm. I crossed the finish line of the marathon at 3:00pm.
          {{Bob}} I have a sense that there is a plan when things like that happen. I've randomly had minor panic attacks when returning from NJ to PA on a certain bridge for several years. Last November, when my mom's BF, George (practially my step father) was dying, I drove home from a rehearsal in NJ accompanied by the most beautiful full moon I'd ever seen. Somehow I got a sense that it was George's way of telling me everything would be OK. I found out about 30 minutes later that he had passed just as I was driving over the bridge thinking about him. I haven't had the slighest bit of fear while driving on that bridge ever since and whenever I see the full moon, I'm reminded of my sense that he's looking out for me. Hope you find the same type of comfort. Rest day for me today - I'm stuck at school until after 8:00 for a presentation for parents, feeling like I'm still stuck in the hamster wheel that is my professional life for the next few weeks. Can't wait for running club/class tomorrow evening! Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

dg.

Seemom, congratulations to you & to Seeboy. how did it go? Nancy, I'm glad you're taking care of yourself. CNY, I won't need that information any time soon but thanks so much for the recovery tips. that's one to save. today got away from me, so a late report for dinner with Ribs. Dinner was good. We had fun. How's that? Interesting and illuminating conversation. The guys already covered the parts I'm allowed to talk about. Sorry. Doug, thanks for the great restaurant suggestion. It was nice seeing you. Ribs, I really enjoyed meeting you. ... You are too kind. (your check's in the mail). These are two very charming gentlemen. (was that what you told me to say?) Keeping you company was a treat. Thanks to you as well. Hope you got home safely. a long day for you today. . I'm not used to keeping up with the younger generation. I woke tired & fuzzy for my trip to the gym... where I think I ran 3 miles & walked one, but my polar was behaving badly. I helped by continually hitting the wrong buttons. (that 'fuzzy' thing..). Bob I'm glad to hear about your ankle but so sorry about your relatives. my best wishes for the one going through the new treatment. how hard it must be all around. Tselbs, nice 12 miler! Enke, yay Smile
              6.48 miles on a BEAUTIFUL afternoon in Virginia. The sounds of lawn mowers seemed to be along for the whole run. Pollen is also evident and I can feel the sniffles coming on from it. Have a good evening.
              Vista

I Can Go The Distance

Good Evening Runners, I have been busy all day, and still am, but I wanted to check in and say hi. Thanks to all our Boston runners for your great reports and pictures! I did 5 miles easy today in 52:30 10:30/mi pace. Tomorrow is another speed day. I am suppose to do a 3 mile tempo run @8:30/mi. Have a great evening everyone Bruce

"Don't give up, don't ever give up." Jim Valvano

GreenMan

Yesterday was and unscheduled ResterDay. But I ran today. 70s and sunny, a breeze and some shade from the hills was helpful. 2 miles recovery then 4 miles of :30 brisk and 7:00 moderate overall pace 10:20 for 1:02 sweaty but not overworked. My Garmin came back from the shop alive and well. But I'm trying to resist the urge to race with it this weekend. It always gets lost, on long runs in the woods. I would use it for an HM or shorter, definitely. I have the course profile with time targets/aid station names memorized, plus I'll carry a cheat sheet for the inevitable brain-fry that occurs after a dozen miles or so. I could just ask the AS volunteers for time of day when I check in. JJJ
                  Iron Mt. Trail Runners blogsite .... JJJessee blogsite ....Spring is here. Go outside and play.
                  evanflein

Back at work... but hardly working. Too many fun RR's to read! I'm soooo tired.... early bedtime tonight and then I should be ok tomorrow. Much easier going West than East, I think. Holly, good luck with the house stuff on Friday. Funny about your DD. We stopped off this morning to pick up DS2 from MIL's house so he could drop off his stuff at home and shower, etc before catching the bus. His first comment... "did you bring me anything?" He wasn't happy at the answer, but said he was glad we were home. Had fun with his Grandma though. Pretty blase about it, but we travel a lot without them and they're used to it. Thanks, 'Ribs. It was a long trip. The Anchorage airport has a vendor who rents out rooms with recliners for travelers with long breaks. We had just over 4 hours from 1 a.m. to boarding at 5:30 a.m., so rented a room with a double recliner, a TV (?), and a little desktop fountain. It was a nice break for $36, and my feet were so much better for the rest (I swell up on planes... love being over 45). Gorgeous here today, low 60's, snow melting like crazy. Might try to get out for a little run tonight... but my house looks like it was ransacked when we were away... oh, wait, we left it like that. Guess I'll start barking orders to mom-deaf teenage boys tonight...
                      Late post for me. just 5 in 53:00 sloooooow day. We have had great weather this last week. Sounds like all the travelers are getting back to work and home to kids. Good runs everyone Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Dave59

Fitting start to the topic today since I've been thinking about goals. Raising the granddaughter is a lot tougher than expected and it is hard enough just to get my job done (since I work at home and find myself helping all day long). I've been trying to decide whether to put all my running goals on hold until things smooth out into some sort of routine, or pick something to work for and just fit it in somehow. Today, I helped with the baby most the morning, worked until 8:00pm and then got in a 4-mile run. Now to get cleaned-up and get some sleep so I can start again tomorrow.

Congratulations to all of our Boston runners Smile Some great runs & good stories to read about Big grin 8 mile group run for me today with middle 5 at tempo 8:30 pace. Dinner out with the group was great! Cool 11 days to the Flying Pig half, my goal is 1:53. My 1st 10 halfs were all better than that with 1:40 PR, but after a series of injuries my last 3 have been a little over 2:00. I'm fairly healthy now and been training good so I'd like to comeback a little an lower my time again. Smile Bob (btb) you are the best, the pics of you & Amy are so beautiful, thanks for everything....

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Marathon Maniac #3309

That's funny about your house and barking orders to your teens, Erika...I remember the day. 7 easy miles for me tonight, that didn't feel so easy. But I have had 5 good workouts in a row, so tomorrow will be a day off...except for some easy cycling with my roadie buds....but they will push me harder. Man, it was 82 degrees here when I began my run....so just shoes, shorts, and garmin was all that was needed....need to work on the tan. After still reading a lot of the RR of Boston, our DEAR friend Bob seemed to be everywhere....you are a special person Bob, along with Amy!!! I have never met someone as un-selfish as you are. Hey, by the way Bob....I might have missed this in the posts, but you started the race super well. Did you just run fast at first as long as you could with your injury. Or did you have a motive behind your race to catch up and root others on....just curious. Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

munchkn883

Finally got in a 3 mile walk today....even though it was late!