Masters Running

Hey, my Taper Buddie Tet, or Another Barefoot Runner..... (Read 608 times)

Marathon Maniac #3309

There is something I have been doing for quite awhile, but really have not said much about it......learning barefoot running.

I started thinking about this probably a few years ago when I "slowly" switched from a heel strike, to a mid-foot strike. Making this transition took quite a bit of time, because a person has to make small changes in their running gait to keep from getting injured. At first I literally only ran mid-foot maybe 25 feet or so a couple of times a week, then just kept at it very slowly and gradually till I really didn't strike my heel anymore.....this took me over a whole year, because I was careful and cautious. Then about 2 months ago switched to a pair of Nike Presto's, that I had bought because I thought they were cool at the time.....2004. These shoes are light as a feather and really don't have much support to think of, and these also helps a person with their mid-foot strike. Nike calls these shoes like.....a tee shirt for your feet, and they come in sizes s - m - l - xl.....not numeric like all the other shoes we wear....I wear a medium myself.

OK, now I have been taking the same - slow - gradual approach to actually running barefoot for most of this year, and it's going great. I started running barefoot a time or two a week - short distances at first on grass - then little bits at a time on actual payment. I always do these runs at the end.....well, just because that's when it always seemed right to do so.

Fast forward tonight...........After my regular run of 10 miles, I ran my first whole mile tonight totally barefoot, on a slightly rough paved trail close to home. It really felt sooooo liberating when I was done, and except for a pebble or two, was totally comfortable. It's really an amazing feeling running barefoot, and it's true what Ya hear................you have to run properly while running barefoot. The first few steps running barefoot do feel a little weird and awkward because you do expect to feel some pain, but then the correct form just takes over and the feet - knees - and legs in general, as I guess running was meant to be, as the research I have done has said..

I guess my question to Tet, or some other barefoot runner is.......how long before the feet get calloused enough to run high mileage? I still know this will be a gradual process, and not really sayn' I am going to be a barefoot runner. But I love the way it makes me feel, and I have seen a couple other barefoot runners in my City which was cool to see. And boy.....the looks I got tonight from others that looked down and seen someone running barefoot on pavement.

But I will say though.....that I did get a little blister on the outside of my left foot, and a little rock pricked the bottom of my right foot, so I guess that's why I'm asking about where do I go from here to make the bottom of my feet tougher. Funny, if you talk to a barefoot runner and ask them about running injuries.....they say what injuries

This also "somewhat" falls in line with a point that Twocat brought up about running shoes a while ago.......about lets start off with neutral or not too much of a structured shoe, then go from there if need be.

Come on.......Ya all know you have secretly wondered about this topic too 

TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

I guess my question to Tet, is.......how long before the feet get calloused enough to run high mileage?

Dear Barefoot TimBo,

It'll reveal our best-held secret but running barefoot is more about form

than with having thick skin and callouses.
      Fortunately, as you’re finding out, correct form comes naturally as one or two painful barefoot heel steps will make sure the front part of the foot makes initial contact with the ground forevermore thereafter. 

It’s because, while the heel is on its own in absorbing the force of contacting the ground, the front part of the foot works together with the ankle, knee and hips to cushion the landing. That’s why it doesn’t matter if the surface is soft astroturf or steel plating, or even nasty little rocky gravel bits and pieces.  The foot/ankle/knee/hips almost automatically adjust to the necessary give and cushioning needed for the particular surface roughness and textures. The less give that's necessary, the more comfortable, and fast, the running.

I’m pretty sure it's more about form too because, when I ran my first barefoot marathon on a whim at the Goodwill Games in Seattle in 1990, my feet had only done a single two hour training run sans shoes but made it through all 26.2 miles a few days later without incident at all. 
      While I don’t have any callouses, running barefoot has filled out my feet over the arches and thickened the soles overall.  However, our famed runningbarefoot guru and webmaster kenbob surprises everyone, even us, with his soft and pliable soles without callouses, and not particularly thick skin either.

good luck.

ps - no particular reasion but do you like oysters?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #3309

Thanks Tet....and I Love Oysters BTW 

I would still think a person would have to develop at least somewhat thick and calloused feet, no matter how good their form is running barefoot. I guess I would have to know my feet would gradually get used to landing on little rocks and pebbles and other debris, without it hurting. I admit I can already tolerate the pain of such objects MUCH better than when I started, and I really want to stick with it because I think it is tremendous to teach us proper running form. I also remember the Barefoot Rick guy showing the bottoms of his feet during an interview with a News Team before a race, and the bottoms of His feet were very dark and thickly calloused, and showed him running in the snow and ice too with the temps below freezing.

Who knows if I consistently stick with it.....maybe a barefoot Marathon is in the picture for me soon, or at least a small local race.

TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

tim - definitely, as the soles get stronger with more running barefoot,

it becomes possible to run on roughter and rougher surface textures.

I was only able to jump into running barefoot so easily because

the Goodwill Games Marathon had rubberized shoulder

stripes and smooth concrete sidewalks for refuge

when my unacustomed soles needed it.

good luck,

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

TammyinGP

peeking in . . .

we actually have our first local barefoot runner - who is quite an accomplished and pretty well known runner, so it'll be interesting to see if his transition to barefoot running prompts a few others around here to give it a try. He raced barefoot for the first time at a local 10k I was in a few weeks back. It was a good race for him to go barefoot in because it was all on a bikepath. He took 1st place.

Tammy

My vibrams will arrive in a few weeks.

I know Tet you think that is not real barefoot running but it could be a transition for me.  Plus I might be able to use them on the trails.

everyone try 1/10 or less of a mile on a bike path.  At first I thought the cops might pull me over to question my mental state but actually the humongous smiles you get from people passing by are priceless....

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Marathon Maniac #3309

peeking in . . .

we actually have our first local barefoot runner - who is quite an accomplished and pretty well known runner, so it'll be interesting to see if his transition to barefoot running prompts a few others around here to give it a try. He raced barefoot for the first time at a local 10k I was in a few weeks back. It was a good race for him to go barefoot in because it was all on a bikepath. He took 1st place.

Tammy - Laura told me about the barefoot running guy you are talking about, as we talked on the phone last night...and she did say he was super speedy. She has shown an interest in trying barefoot running after reading the book Born to Run (think you are reading now, yes?) and after seeing the guy at the 10K race...then all of a sudden I mention myself too. But she is going to wait till after her Marathon to start to practice this - of course. Then I told her to start on the grass or rubberized track for short distances, at first.

Enke - you are right about the smiles a person gets.....and it is priceless. Also, I think your Vibrams will help you just like my Nike Prestos helped me, making the transition into barefoot running.

What the heck does "Oysters" have to do with anything 

Tim

TammyinGP

What the heck does "Oysters" have to do with anything 

Tim

Timbo - it's Tet - "oysters" don't have to have anything to do with anything. haven't you figured that out by now?

although they are serving oysters on the Newport Marathon course, of which you are missing out.

Yes, I started Born to Run last night. I have tried barefoot running before and I might try it again later this summer. who knows. Our high school track is good for barefoot running because it's made of crushed up rubber. actually feels very good on the feet. And the infield is all grass and fairly level, so that's another good place to run.

Tammy

Marathon Maniac #3309

Timbo - it's Tet - "oysters" don't have to have anything to do with anything. haven't you figured that out by now?

Yeah....what the heck was I thinkn'

TimBo