Masters Running

Wednesday Sept 2nd Daily Show (Read 444 times)

Tammy - that is one nice photo of a great-looking kid.

Did I post yesterday?  I don't even remember.

9 miles yesterday, 6 today.   Cooler temps make this so much easier! 

Starting to look at weather in Corning, NY for Wineglass Marathon October 4...  The average temps are very nice that time of year.  So here's hoping for average.

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

spacityrunner

Posting yesterdays run today...4 miles in glouriously sunny and cool weather at 5 p.m.  last night

Then off to a food network thing at  7 p.m. at the newseum that put the pounds that I lost right back on...but I just might be on a dinner impossible episode...they did interview me (but that dosen't mean that they will use it)

Have had a crazy busy week, but yesterday finished the negotiation of a new working agreement between my gov't agency and another gov't agency that took me 4 months of constant meetings.  This was a huge undertaking and WAY ABOVE my pay grade, but I got 'er done and my bosses noticed...that is always a good thing.  I am happy.  Now on to the next project...yes, I have one waiting

Enough about me...how about this weather?

PDR that marathon should be so nice with all the fall colors....

Tammy what a great looking kid...

DG..way to talk yourself right into a good thing...

Ribs glad to see you survived HTC (or shoud I say HTC survived you?? )

Good runs and good day everyone.......

Trails Rock!

dg.

Posting yesterdays run today...4 miles in glouriously sunny and cool weather at 5 p.m.  last night

Then off to a food network thing at  7 p.m. at the newseum that put the pounds that I lost right back on...but I just might be on a dinner impossible episode...they did interview me (but that dosen't mean that they will use it)

Have had a crazy busy week, but yesterday finished the negotiation of a new working agreement between my gov't agency and another gov't agency that took me 4 months of constant meetings.  This was a huge undertaking and WAY ABOVE my pay grade, but I got 'er done and my bosses noticed...that is always a good thing.  I am happy.  Now on to the next project...yes, I have one waiting

Enough about me...how about this weather?

PDR that marathon should be so nice with all the fall colors....

Tammy what a great looking kid...

DG..way to talk yourself right into a good thing...

Ribs glad to see you survived HTC (or shoud I say HTC survived you?? )

Good runs and good day everyone.......

hey LIz way to go!  

what's dinner impossible? i'm culturally illiterate.  will you find out if you're going to be on?

..thanks ;-)

you asked about my water stop comment.   Here, read this. http://www.milannews.com/stories/040909/loc_20090409003.shtml      The parents of Asia are so appreciative of the support the group has given her that they cover the water stops every week.  All of them.   They load up their van & drive from spot to spot.   I found this out by accident when we were talking at one stop, once they mentioned it, I remembered having read about her.   They were so nice, & so supportive, and happy.   It was pretty neat.  brought tears to my eyes.

spacityrunner

thanks for the water info DG

check this out  http://www.foodnetwork.com/dinner-impossible/index.html

Trails Rock!

Today was my test run day.  I had my DW trail me to see if my gate was fine.  Short version:  it was not.  It looks like I am still on the no running train for the moment.  The only good news is that my leg seems fine post test.  The other good news is that my DW said that I was not dragging my left leg like I did in January.  Now she thinks my leg turnover is uneven with the left being slower than the right.  That actually is better.  Sigh.  It has been so long . . .    Maybe I will try again in a week or so.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

"No matter what goes on in the outside world, inside of every human being is a cross country runner waiting to be born. And you know what the greatest thing is? This may be the only sport around where a willingness to work hard, to muck in every day and the day after that, pays off more than innate talent"

Great read, Teresa. Thanks for the link.

10X 800m this evening, 3:19's, 1/4 mile recovery, 3 mile WU, 1 mile walk WD

10.15 overall miles in 1:25.

Walt

dg.

(((Twocat)))

thanks Liz.    it sounds very cool!    dangerous reading the recipes though...

Ribs.. thanks.     I was thinking about you in the HTC.   Would love to hear about it.   would that require a side trip to KR?

Karin... thank you.   & that's ok!  there's way too much to comment on everything.  "Every run is another day moving forward."  I love that.  

Slo_hand, you too.  

TomS, very nice run!

Tammy, he is so cute.   And your garden looks great!

Erika, I hope you're right!   I may have been a tad verbose in my post... the knee is why I really couldn't run Monday.  (and was askeered of the TM)(one reason anyway)   A sharp pain right under the kneecap, & felt like it was going to buckle.   but... you know a trainer at the gym said that i probably should have rested another day.   If that's all this I feel like I just won the lottery.  no, better.  besides, I've never bought a ticket. Wink   And you're right about the sick part.  I think that's why I hadn't really wanted to run in the first place.   Hope you get over this thing soon.   I worked today too but didn't contribute much.

Nono what's Dutch wonderland?

Rest day, if schlepping boxes of new equipment (that I'm VERY grateful to have!) and countless chairs to my classroom and getting everything set up for the kiddos counts as rest.  Didn't sleep well last night - not really anxious, just very noisy in my neighborhood with the windows open - so I really feel like I need some rest tonight.

Will sneak in a few miles between school and a hair appointment tomorrow.  The traffic and sitting too long at the computer are already putting kinks in my neck and shoulders that I need to run loose!

Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

just popping in to say hi ..... no running today but did get in 6.2 yesterday

love the link to the letter Teresa .........inspiring............should have my sons read it -- 15 yr old just started his 2nd year of cross country -- think he's wishing he listened to dear old ma and kept running all summer!!

great pics too from teresa, evan and tammy!!  my youngest starts his soph. year of h.s. tomorrow -- some days i really miss when they were all little!!

my 21 yr old is back in the hospital - McLeans this time - which has the reputation of being one of the best psychiatric hospitals in the country -- i really hope they get him feeling better soon!!  i miss the 21 yr old social boy he used to be.

denise

((( Deez ))) (((Twocat ))) and everyone else needing some extra TLC and support this evening. It's been a tough haul for both of you.

Liz - nice job on the negotiations. Hope you get a big raise for all of your hard work. That dinner impossible looks pretty interesting.

Tammy - great picture of your handsome young DS. He definitely looks like his mother.

Eliz - good luck back at school. We had a whole bunch go home sick today. Everyone is freaking out that we'll be hit by the swine flu. I've been washing my hands like a crazy person.

Teresa - that was an awesome link. Thanks for sharing it.

Did anyone read the story in last Sunday's NY Times about barefoot running? Interesting stuff...

Late post - of a 5:00 AM trip to the Y for cross training day. 6 miles on the eliptical with some core work and free weights thrown in. Now, off to bed so I can get up and do everything all over again tomorrow.

'Night all.

evanflein

Oh Denise, so sorry about your son. I sure hope he can get the help he needs and make some real improvements.

Eliz, that doesn't sound like much of a rest day. Hope you get some sleep tonight.

Twocat, I'm sure we were all hoping for better news, but you'll get there. I wish we could bottle up your patience and sell it.

Considering how awful and wet it was this past Sunday and Monday, I can't believe how nice it was today! Should be like this the rest of the week, too. What a treat. Temps in the mid-60's, could be low 70's tomorrow and Friday. I dropped off my car and stuff with DH (we drove in together this morning) and ran home from his office. 9.1 miles with some pretty good hills, especially the last big one in mile 8. I don't think my legs are recovered from last week because they just felt tired and achy almost the whole time. That's the last big mid-week run for awhile though.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Predawna - don't forget you have two to do too.

erika - are you still running the extended Equinox Marathon 50K?

Except for Alaska, i doubt if anyone anywhere else would try the Equinox as their first ultra.

Mari - nice running where it's been a treat to run like that when/where too but not anymore.

Did anyone read the story in last Sunday's NY Times about barefoot running? Interesting stuff...

thanks lynne

The part of the article indicating barefoot runners must be a tiny part of the population with "biomechanically perfect" feet has generated firestorm of posts over on runningbarefoot.org. In particular, a large number of the runningbarefooters have such imperfect feet, PF, etc. that, after thousands of dollars of orthotics, prognoses never to run again, etc.,  they'd given up on running gave up on running altogether (for up to five years in one case) and only found out they could run again when trying running barefoot as a last ditch test case.

In 95 percent of the population or higher, running barefoot will land you in my office,” said Dr. Lewis G. Maharam, medical director for the New York Road Runners, the group that organizes the New York City Marathon. “A very small number of people are biomechanically perfect,” he said, so most need some sort of supportive or corrective footwear.

There's also a funnhy parody from Runner's World on the article

Barefoot Running: An Opposing View
                          http://dailyviews. runnersworld. com/2009/ 08/running- barefoot- an-opposing- viewpoint. html

Runners World has not totally discounted running barefoot and has even recommended it for training for shod races.

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-240-319--6728-0,00.html (August 2004)

in fact, our runningbarefoot.org guru barefoot kenbob was recently interviewed

for another pending barefoot article too.

Should You Be Running Barefoot?  <style> H1 { font-family: arial, helvetica; font-size: 22px; font-weight: normal; color: #ff5114; margin-top: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-right: 10px;} </style>

SHOULD YOU BE RUNNING BAREFOOT?

Most of us consider running shoes essential. But what happens when you decide not to lace 'em up?

By Amby Burfoot

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

SteveP

Good luck Lamerunner. If you can, find a Dr who is athletic.

(((DG)))

Thanks for the picture Tammy...It looks like he comes from good breeding stock.

(((((Two Cat)))))

Hang in there Denise

SteveP