Masters Running

Sunday - NYC Marathon Day! (Read 395 times)

Nice racing folks...A really nice performance for you Ribs...

9 miles...the longest I've run in 2 months and boy do I feel it...30 miles for the week  Smile

Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip
      I deliberately stayed away from the computer so that I could watch the NBC 2 o'clock repeat of NYC...What a great race! I don't know what happened to Martin Lel (my secret favorite), but Meb's last 200 yards, and his tearful finish were really moving, as was the finish of the women's race.

Looks like all did well; anybody heard from Perch?

Nice running, and steady splits, from Ribs.

Congratulations to Karin, Mari-P and everybody else. I like smaller races, but ING (and the Big Apple) really know how

to put on a show. Looks like a blast to run.

Further upstate, I did a 10 mile progression, from 9:40 to 7:40, 8:43 OA pace. Saw a multi-pointed buck and a couple of does....that was it for spectators.

Walt.

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Just finished watching the (delayed broadcast) of the NYC Marathon.  That one had me crying.. so wonderful!

Training run Marathon today..

My quad near the knee was giving noticable soreness on each foot strike starting during my warmup before the race.  It was pace limiting and finally went away at mile 20.  So I started like 10 min pace and gradually went to
        9:30's and held.  The skies opened up and at mile 10 the mile marker sign, hanging on a tall post, was parallel to the ground and the rain felt like sleet (stinging) though it was mid 50's.  Luckily we turned out of the wind and it
        was not much of a problem.  The trails in the park, miles 15-19 were splashy muddy.  About mile 16 I spotted the 4:15 pace group ahead.   It wasn't until mile 24 that I passed them.  Came in at 4:12:23 (Garmin).  At mile 20 the
        quad stopped being sore but the glute and adductor took over.  Now I feel much better. Icing the knee though.  I think mentally, I paced this right on for a training run.  Negative split as I was around 9 min pace after 20.
        It would have helped to have all the muscles strong, but oh well... use what you have.  Those hills are really brutal!

Marathon #10 in the bank!

City of Oaks Marathon Elevation

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Renee the dog

Perch, congrats on #10!!!

Someone asked for vacation photos...I'll give you just one, and it also ties in with Halloween being last night:

Waiting for Renee to get back with Bayside, err Mr. Incredible, so I can go shake out these legs.

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Nancy: 4:11:54

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

wildchild

Carolyn

Congrats to the racers today! Looking forward to the RRs!  (hint, hint...)

Nono, your family looks incredible!

Gordon, congrats on  your longest run in 2 months!

Erika, I'm with you - just can't quite get up the energy to run in the snow.  You're faced with cold, too - that's not the problem here, but it's above freezing and the snow is slushy.  Yuck.  I drove DD over to a friend's house today, and I was checking out the neighborhood roads trying to decide if yax or no yax was better.  The roads are partly bare dirt where it's sunny, partly ice/slush where it's shady, and half and half everywhere else. So I'd either have to run in yax and go easy on the bare dirt, or run without, and go easy on the snow. So I wussed out and split a bunch of firewood for cross training instead.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

dg.

congratulations from me too to all our racers! 

wow, Perch.  just wow.  Very nice job.  Very nice hills. Wink.

Carolyn, I don't think splitting firewood is wussing out.  I'm way to uncoordinated to do that.    ... that half & half stuff makes it tough. 

Holly, thanks.  I hope so!  You seem like you've come back so fast.      Nice picture!

Nono... another nice picture!   Where did you get matching costumes?

Ribs, I'm pleased too.  Big grin.

Rosie... running straight .. just avoiding turns.  Pivoting is not my friend, or at least my knees don't like it.  Well.  Nice pacing on your run the other day.   a rebel cow, huh?  oh, my.

Have you heard anything more from your niece?

Sue, I'm making progress but slower than I'd like, thanks!  How about you?

ok, a little bit of catch up.  headed to bed early, I'm thinking maybe this time change will be a chance to also catch up a little on sleep.

Jlynne continued good wishes for Will.  You need a Garmin!  No danger with post-run mapping that way!  Strength training went fine.  I was pretty much able to pick up where I left off.

hallar great way to get started again!  Nice surprise eh?  Some day I will get to run again . . . at least I am pretty sure I will!  Patience is actually easy.  I look at what happens to people who are not!  Also, it is always helpful to remember that being unable to run is not really a serious problem as these things go.

Back later . . . DW is finally ready to give some chores we need to do together done.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

evanflein

Love that picture, Nono! Those matching costumes are so cute. That's the sort of thing I love when other people do but just can't see our crazy family pulling off.

Like Gordon, I ran 9.2 miles today, my longest in a couple of weeks. I had no energy. At first, it was nice, but by mile 6 I just felt blah and wanted to be done. Temp was ok, but I overheated at first, then at the end my face got cold. It was warm in the sun, cold in the shade (sound familiar, Carolyn?) and there were some icy parts on the path that reminded me of running on a waxed wood floor in wool socks... wheeeee! I ran all over, looking for plowed bike paths. Found quite a few, I sure hope whoever did that keeps it up all winter!

9.2 miles, 8:23 avg pace, just under 22 for the week. But lots of cross training (but no wood splitting) and no rest days this week. Just the way I like it (although more miles would be nice).

Finished my pre-marathon conditioning program today and (gasp) the "real" marathon training plan begins tomorrow.  I put the check for the New Jersey Marathon in the mail on Friday, so I'll either run it or end up buying an $85 race shirt.    Feeling greta after the last two weeks; now I just have to avoid kid germs and falling off bicycles until May and I'll be fine!

Jlynne - sure it was light at 6 a.m., but darkness will feel like it's starting in the middle of the afternoon.  I hate driving home from school in the dark.  Hope Will gets sprung soon.  Smile

hally - I got fooled by a news4 commercial yesterday.  I was getting my nails done in the next town over, which is also the next county, and saw the TV ad for marathon coverage.  Couldn't get it at home this morning, though, since we're just far enough from NY to get only PA stations at the shore.  (Not that it deters Yankees fans from invading my boardwalk, but I digress.) I did see the last 1-1/4 hours of the delayed coverage.  What a terrific finish for Med.

Holly - super pic of your DD.  I guess only old people like us would figure out that she was a hippie, huh?!?

Nono - we've long known that you're incredible, now we know that your family is, too, and you have the pics to prove it!

Got out on the boardwalk three times this weekend:  late walk after rehearsal on Friday night, and good runs yesterday and today.  

Another late (and, so far, discouraging) night of World Series watching.  Phils in 6!

Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

fatozzig nice impromptu HM.  Now run to CT and get your muffins.

Spareribs congratulations on your first HM since the big event!

perchcreek congratulations on marathon #10!  How does it feel to enter double digit marathoning?

dg. on the up side the progress has to be faster than mine!  In any case, as long as we are still moving there will be progress!

This Wednesday my DW and I are going to meet maraposai and her DH for dinner.  I tried to get some idea of what they would like and got the "we are really flexible" answer (or something like that) which leaves me . . . scratching my head.  I do not like sushi so that is out.  My DW is generally against going out for Chinese which knocks off another cuisine.   (Not because of the taste but the calories and fat in the U.S. version.  When we go to dinner at the home of one of our Chinese friends the food is great and bears no resemblance to what you get in a restaurant.)  Maraposai is in the PNW so I am thinking a fish place in NYC would be nothing special, except if we went to a clam house so that is an idea.  Any other suggestions out there?  If you were coming into NY and were a few days past a marathon what would you want to try out?

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

How wonderful to get home and read that you were tracking us all today. I must have felt it out there.

I have to catch an early flight tomorrow, so more later. I am very happy, tired and wired at the same time. I am watching the NBC recap show and grinning as I watch Meb win. This was my 7th NYC marathon and my fastest. :-)

Thanks all. Meeting Maraposai, and seeing Hally and GGPrunner, was a huge highlight of the NYC weekend.