Masters Running

Seattle paper article on a maniac (Read 186 times)

Maniac 505

Bob Dolphin

Nice article about a great guy.

SteveP

Wow

SteveP

Kewl.  Thanks for the link.  Gives me a new perspective on what we all still have the potential to accomplish.

Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

evanflein

Incredible how some of these old guys keep churning out these marathons. I hope to be half as spunky as that when I'm 80!
            If you look up "maniac" in the dictionary you'll see a picture of Bob.

Wow.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Maniac 505

Some of these guys are amazing.  I expect to see Larry Macon at the Seattle marathon Sunday.  He will probably take an early start and I will probably catch him around the 1/2 or so.  Guiness book record holder the 105 marathons last year.  Sunday's Seattle marathon will be his third in 3 days.

xor

Bob is showing up in articles all over the place, it seems.  Very nice guy and his loving relationship with Lenore is a beautiful thing to witness.

As for Larry, he's here somewhere.  I'll see him tomorrow at Ghost.  I saw him last weekend at Monkey.  I don't think he'll hit 105 again this year, but despite the way he downplays his running, I think he's gonna be pretty close to 105.  Unless he takes a month off again, like he did in December 2007 to go to the Galapagos.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Thanks dave

maybe take part time work clipping running articles ala thunderbolter used to do.

Bob's not only a nice guy and inspiration (for about 100 of my marathons, . . . so far)

but his race reports going back to 1998 are good background reading for the same

events, . . . whether we've done them or not.

http://www.marathonguide.com/features/RaceReports/Dolphin/

SRLopez's RR's are full of valuable information and insight too.

Hope they can come back to RA on a more regular basis.

http://moostronaut.blogspot.com/

When I saw Larry at the Frank Maier Marathon in Juneau on Saturday, August 1, he said he was taking it easy this year after last year's 105 marathons, . . .  as he drove off to the airport to fly to California for his 51st marathon/yultra the next day.  Wish it were possible to keep track of him and some of the other super-mega's a little better ala Bob and Robert's calendar postings in marathonmaniacs.com, and SRL's blog, etc.

=====================================

getting the finish stretch

in Memorial Stadium ready

for this year's marathon  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .timing clock hangs from

. .

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Maniac 505

Jon:

My closest claim to fame (ok,  not very close) is that my first DNF was also Bob's first DNF,  (I didn't make it nearly as far as Bob did)  I think it was at your urging that I exchanged a few E-mails with Team Dolphin,  it really helped me sort out my mind. 

It would be good if SR posted here more often, but I certainly understand the constraints of life.

I saw Larry in Portland last month.  I know him,  I can hear he booming southern twang voice when I get within about a quarter mile of him.  we are face book friends,  but he has such a huge fan base he claims to remember me when I give my name and maniac number but I doubt if he really does.  (I'm just one of many people that has seen him a half dozen times or so,  and I try not to increase the jerk level amongst runners,  I don't want to skew his perception.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Dave -

with only a dozen or so runners in the sun already over the mountains above Gastineau Channel,

larry wasn't hard to miss at the early start in Juneau either.  However, taking a look at my bare feet,

he somehow immediately pegged me as running with him in last year's Ghost.  I'm still trying to think

of excuses when i see him on Sunday for not accepting his invitation to join him in all three this year. 

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Maniac 505

Jon, 

You don't need an excuse,  just tell Larry you have a bad foot.  I bet he will understand