Masters Running

Private message to BTB about walking all 26.2 miles in a marathon (Read 533 times)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Bob, thanks for your comments in the other day’s daily on my idea that it might be okay to walk a marathon if injuries prevent running in it. I’m not a daily or even very regular poster but I try to skim the dailies and definitely devour for my own all the rr’s and race preparations you and others are doing (as long as not too much about training). Smile I don’t think you are the kind of runner like some I’ve known over the years who would gladly risk (and sometimes get) serious injury for the sake of an important race or cause. However, if you’re like I used to be, you probably don’t give much consideration to slow running or walking a marathon either. In fact, for me, walking would have been anathema in my early running years and we would rather drop out and DNF (as I did once at mile 23 when my knee seemed to buckle) than be humiliated by having to walk. In those days, I’d have rather had to walk to the South Pole in bare feet than be caught walking in a marathon. . . . . uhmmm. Thus, when my father died and I just had to do the 2006 Yakima River Canyon Marathon for him even though I was midway through recovering from a stretched hamstring, I never once considered walking and did it with 50% shortened strides within the hamstring limitations not to exacerbate it or risk adding more time to full recovery. The resulting SPB (slow personal best) of 7:09:54 was slower than many walkers that day but I could proudly say that, unlike them, I hadn’t walked even a single step. This winter though, after a couple of four mile walks in about an hour, I got to thinking about how a 15m/m pace would almost meet the cutoffs in some ultras I’d like to do so this year so I decided to try to walk all 26.2 miles in last weekend’s Yakima River Canyon Marathon. Starting out like I like in my bare feet for 11 miles at a 14:45m/m pace, I had to switch to thongs thereafter because of sharp, crushed rocks embedded in chip-sealed asphalt. After a couple of miles in thongs and about four hours into the big walk, my pace slipped a little over 15m/m with a couple of 16's but I fast walked the last mile in 13:55 and a 6:52:50 finish time. Along the way I walked with two sisters from Oregon celebrating a 50th birthday, a veteran walker from Texas doing her 25th marathon, an out-of-shape guy walking 26.2 miles for the first time in his life with the bib number of his running brother who had just passed away, and several even slower otherwise faster runners who were staying within the limitations of various injuries (back, hip, and knee respectively), etc. As is typical of barefoot/thong running, the walking didn’t waste my legs as used to be the case in my shodden, heel-striking, marathon days but I did discover for the first time some walking muscles that got real sore on the tops of my arches. At the finish, no one asked why I was so slow but, instead, only about the run, enjoying the scenic course, the weather, etc. Everyone is different so I’m not recommending you walk the Boston Marathon or even run it slowly but just wanted you to know that, based on my experience, it might still be possible to walk or run slowly within any risk of further injury and keep healing/recovering right on schedule so you can get back to runnin’ as you like. However, if you do decide to run slowly or walk instead of staying home, be sure to be able to DNF at the first sign of any pain that might be doing further damage. Amy will be proud of you either way and won't care one iota if you walked only one mile or all 26.2 let alone how fast. Me too. whatever you do though, please don’t go so slowly to break my current boomer marathon SPR of 7:09:54. Since I’m doing a mile walk for amy that day too, you’ll have virtual company for a mile on April 21 whether you’re in Boston or you have to stay at home and can just go around the block. Good luck - jon ps - for lots of crowd support, tape up your knee, carry a cane or walking stick, and write “walking for amy - from Bob!” on your shirt! You gotta have fun, you know. Smile

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

arf

MM #405

Bob, You gotta have fun, you know. Smile
      ...that's what it's ALL about! Smile good luck Bob!
      btb1490

Mr. Tetsujin, First and foremost, thank you very much for taking the time to write such a thoughtful response. I read it several times over. And while your subject line directs the post to me, I think that everyone here could benefit from your words, perhaps you will think about a different title to draw more people to read it. There is much useful information here, as well as being a great touching story. I will carry your words in my head as I am out on the course in Boston. Thank you again, and thank you for keeping Amy in your thoughts on April 21st. I will try not to break your SPB, since the cutoff time in Boston is 6'45". The prospect of walking in Boston traffic will be a powerful motivator to keep moving! Hi Arf! If it's not fun, what's the point, right? Smile Thanks for the well wishes! Keep up the great work!

#artbydmcbride

Good luck Bob! I enjoyed your post very much too, Tetsujin. Smile

Runners run

Marathon Maniac #957

Me, too!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

TammyinGP

Mr. Tetsujin, And while your subject line directs the post to me, I think that everyone here could benefit from your words, perhaps you will think about a different title to draw more people to read it.
              trust me, Bob . . . we all read this thread . . . whenever something says "sekrit message" or "private message to . . . " that draws everyone in. . . . Tongue

Tammy

trust me, Bob . . . we all read this thread . . . whenever something says "sekrit message" or "private message to . . . " that draws everyone in. . . . Tongue
                lol - i was thinking the same thing tammy Wink

denise

coastwalker

lol - i was thinking the same thing tammy Wink
                  So was I! Why would anyone post a "private" message on this forum, of all places! Shocked I agree with Tetsujin: There is absolutely nothing wrong with walking a race. I do it all the time! The downside is that it is slower than running (sometimes). The upside is that you may get to see more of the sights along the way, engage the spectators along the sides of the race course, and also engage other walkers you'd undoubtedly meet along the way. It may also enable you, as Tetsujin explained so well, finish a race that is important to finish, and that you otherwise might not be able to finish. So I endorse the concept of doing whatever you have to do to achieve your noble objective, and of making it fun! Best of luck, Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Dave59

I didn't read it. If someone says private, I honor that. Roll eyes Big grin

Thank you, Tetsujin, for your wonderful comments and insights. As Bob said, many people could benefit from your remarks. Bob - Whatever you decide, good luck, and know that Amy is proud of you no matter what.

Leslie
                      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Mariposai

Charming and inspirational as always.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

TammyinGP

Charmin and inspirational as always.
                          tet - I think you can take this as a compliment. I mean, if Mariposai is going to compare you to toilet paper, at least it was a GOOD brand. Tongue

Tammy

Tammy...... Big grin

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

thanks all for peeking. Smile it's amazing what can be learned about running, . . . and ourselves, . . even when it doesn't even seem like running. However, especially at my chronology I love all compliments and good advice, especially for this weekend’s maybe biting-off-more-than-I-can-chew 50-miler with a first timer ultra-goddess. Smile .

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

evanflein

Hey, anything marked "private" is like the mail I open marked "confidential," I read that first! Good stuff, Tet. You're priceless.