Masters Running

Columbia River Power Half-Marathon (Read 274 times)

I am embarrassed about the last three miles because I could have sucked it up to run 10:00 pace there, although not the 9:30 pace I had imagined.
    No need to be embarassed Enke, we've all had races where we "coulda, woulda, shoulda" so don't worry about it. However, that being said...LEARN from it, this is what I try to do with all of my races, especially where I had trouble. I try to go back and evaluate what I could have done, what I would have done had I known better and what I should have done etc. Overall you did great, you had fun and you toughed out a heck of a run. That PR is on the horizon just waiting for you. Wink
    Tramps

Running across the dam was pretty damn cool.
      Groan! Tongue Other than that line, this was a great report. Glad you got a better race done, despite your recent foot problems. It sounds like it was disappointing to be 4th, but you got a good run in and sounds like you enjoyed a wonderful trip there. Thanks for the great pics, too! I love that results board.

Be safe. Be kind.

Marathon Maniac #957

This is a wonderful report, and I love the pictures and details. I had no idea that Washington state had any parts that were so barren. As for the race, I think first off that you are so much braver than me to even drive 3.5 hours to a race! Here I’m worried about driving an hour and a half to Columbus for a race – you can tell I don’t get out much. As for the race, I’m sorry you didn’t do as well as you hoped, but you still persevered and finished in a decent time. What’s to be embarrassed about? We all do better some days than others, and bonk at times when we race. You had a great time, didn’t hurt yourself – sounds like a successful race to me. Smile Btw, you have to share with me your bag of tricks about side-stitches – I hate them.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Thanks for the report and pictures, enke. The scenery in the pictures looks nice, but the hills don't sound so good. The race organizers appear to have done a good job in their inauguaral race. Congrats on a good job. TomS
          xor

<tangent> I made a joke out of this in my earlier post (and again: nice report and I hope you had fun at the race!), but I'll restate it more clearly. I think I'd be creeped out if my personal info... full name, address, age, sex... was posted in an open forum without me having a say. Not enke's 'cause she made that choice... the other gal's. Suggestion: could you use photoshop or something to perhaps blur/black those lines? I know that for some folks this seems like no big deal. For others, especially those who have had their ID stolen or been the target of los creepos, it is. </tangent> I hope to do this race next year... fun pictures of the area.

Gosh Lopez, you are so right, I hadn't thought of it....I figured my camera was too crappy to show any detail. Will fix the problem immediately. We had to run, not on sand, but on chunky gravel for about 1/3 of a mile? I read that the full had to run on that junk for several miles, but maybe they meant sand.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

xor

We had to run, not on sand, but on chunky gravel for about 1/3 of a mile? I read that the full had to run on that junk for several miles, but maybe they meant sand.
                Well, that's why I was asking... I've gotten a few reports from my friends. Van (the women's winner...) and another gal called it "5-6 miles of sand". But then I heard "yucky rocks". So I dunno. Maybe it was both. Very different race from tri-cities, which was 30 miles up the road. All bike trail and road. All flat, except for the bridges. Would have been a very fast race except for the wind. And in my case, the fall where I hit my head on a suspension bridge. At least I didn't fall off the bridge.

Must have been both.... Looking forward to your head-banging race report. And I hope you scribbled down my address....I will be expecting a Christmas card from you. What a dolt I am. Thanks for pointing that out to me.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

TammyinGP

I laughed when I saw the "low tech" results posting, because, uh....that's what all my races look like down here. In fact, it was only last year that Pear Blossom (biggest race here with about 700-800 runners) got chip timing. I'm not even sure if our inaugural HM in 3 wks is chip timed or not? Sounds like this was a challenging course with some hills and a monster hill at the end?? that is so not right! It does sound like you enjoyed the race, a smaller field and trying something new. And I agree, there is something very inviting about being part of 'inaugurals'. Nicely done Enke!!

Tammy

Enke! Sweetheart, you picked a fun race but you MUST learn to pick the creampuff, flat races so that you can demolish your PR (which you will). Tet's got a point, there...the Olympia race is supah-flat!

Top 'O the World!

......Sounds like a fun race, nonetheless! Wink and baked potatoes!!! Kewl!! Wink
                        Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group