Masters Running

Saturday's Daily, 9.21.13 (Read 49 times)

5.2 trail miles at Tiger Mtn.  Kind of out of my way, but I hadn't been there in a decade or so.  Too many mountain bikers, and I didn't have a map.  I got distracted watching one carefully avoid my dog, and I tripped on something.....but whew, managed somehow not to hit the dirt.  My trail shoes are ripped on the top mesh, so time to buy some new ones?

I think tomorrow I will impersonate a normal person and do a run on pavement, well part pavement at least.  Smile

How many pounds of potatoes is that mariposai?

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

wildchild

Carolyn

Robin, you're our new poster child for how to come back slowly from injury!  Well done!

Divechief - races you can walk to?   That's an interesting concept.  I don't even walk to my mailbox... it's 2 miles away.

C-R, congrats on a greta race for you and your DS!   He's doing really well!

Nice racing for Tramps and Ribs, too.  Hope Erika had a good race.

Posie - hunting season has started here too - which I didn't know till I met two guys wearing orange vests and carrying guns on my trail run today...   I ran back to the car and drove to a different trail head.

You know the saying that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over, and expecting different results?  Well, what if you get different results - are you insane, or not?  My Garmin has been turning itself off for no apparent reason - sometimes after a minute, and sometimes after several miles.  I think it just acts up when it gets wet, as it did at last weekend's marathon.  So I keep turning it back on....  on today's 12 miler, it turned itself off at least a dozen times... so I turned it back on 13 times.  It was still on when I finished the run, so the last time it worked for over 3 miles.  Hope I got it working now.  It did this once before, when I got caught out in a downpour.    Anyone else have this happen?

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

jlynne, I hope you are winning your fight with the "crud".  C-R, your daughter is sure doing well in XC.  C-R and Patrick, nice 5K with 8th & 9th OA.  ribs, good going on 3rd AG in your 20K.

Nice long runs for ibleed (TM no less), Tramps, marj,  Holly, and wild.  Good job on the speedwork for Dave.

This morning, it was about 60° and there was some wind.  I got in 8 miles at a 10:54 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Nice effort, Ribs.  Congratulations on the 3rd place AG.  I know how frustrating it is to be passed and not be able to do a dang thing about it.

I'm looking forward to hear how Erika did...anybody hear?

I got up this morning, went and watched a grandkid's soccer game, then drove up to watch a cross country meet our high school was competing in.  At the end of the meet, they had an "Old Timers" race, so I jumped into it.  2 miles in 12:08...I guess I was happy with that after not really preparing for it in any way.  Part way through, I heard a lady say, "Oh, finally, a true old timer."  I'm not sure if I should be happy that I was one of the top older people or hurt that she recognized me as an old timer...

Okay--I gotta go.  See ya.

pfriese

what's a swazi?

A Swazi is a really fast race for Opie. Since he hasn't popped in here today, I'll spill the beans and tell that he PRed in today's race. Perfect weather this morning for the race, too. He finished 4th in his AG, but really was tied for 3rd by chip time, 3rd got him by 2 seconds with gun time. I finished 3rd in my AG with a 23:54.

Paul

evanflein I hope the race went well.  Somehow I suspect we will be greeted sometime tomorrow with an AG victory.

Spareribs a 3rd AG is quite impressive in my books!  Congratulations.

testujin209 around here you can get knocked off if you are just running when the kids are being driven to the local school.  I tell you the parents will just run you right over if they think it will save them a couple of seconds!  Angry

No run for me today.  I am keeping my powder dry in case it is relatively dry tomorrow and I want to brave the 30k race.  There is a 150 runner limit but I do not think this race normally sells out.  Of course, that means it will tomorrow.  Roll eyes  The race start is at 7:30 so I have to hit the hay early tonight.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Planned for 4 @ 11:00 pace, but instead did 5 @ 10:38. Feeling pretty good about Tufts 10K. The glitch is that I have some travel between Oct 3rd and the the race, so hopefully I won't do too much damage then.

Yeah Erika for a great Equinox! 4:16:24 and no injuries. Yippee!!!

Hearing some fireworks - Robin would you all keep it down! Seriously - happy to hear that you are feeling strong.

I am spoiled by local races and close proximity to the start line. Jay - I will know my schedule next week, but it meant so much to me having you, Stumpy, Pro, Marj, and Henry come out for Shape Up - I would so love to do the same.

Kirsten

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

I am spoiled by local races and close proximity to the start line. Jay - I will know my schedule next week, but it meant so much to me having you, Stumpy, Pro, Marj, and Henry come out for Shape Up - I would so love to do the same.

And Pro won!  And I had the #1 bib!  Only way I'll ever be the first in a race Wink  I still have some pictures somewhere I'll try to find.  I also remember that Jay was not very far behind me at the finish.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

I have pics of all of yous - can post any time Cool

Post run, 2 hours of dancing to funkadelic, a la Mariposai

Kirsten

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

I have pics of all of yous - can post any time Cool

there are no objections so post away..

.\

Congratulations on Equinox no. 9 is it, Erika. .

go two cat.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Mariposai

Post run, 2 hours of dancing to funkadelic, a la Mariposai

I like this post. I hope you were smarter than me and did not wear stilettos hills for dancing as I did.

What a fun night! I danced to my heart content with my girl friends since the Easy Pacer was not able to join me tonight (even if he did he would have sat patiently while I get my dancing fix Cool).

tselbs, you sure put in some nice miles! Good job on your 8 miler!

Wildchild, you are very patient with the garmin. I would have turn it off and just enjoy the run.

Enkie, enjoy your "road" run tomorrow!

Twocat, good luck on your race! BTW, a little rain won't melt you Smile.

Before dancing I went out for a 6 hilly zombies run. I got caught 4 times ( a note to myself...don't do zombies run when going up Kermel grade Dead)

Congrats to the wiseone on his 3rd AG. I really enjoyed reading  your racing strategy today.

Erika, you so rock!!!! Only our snow queen can run Equinox faster than most of us can run a marathon on flat course.

Enkie, that was 40 pounds of potatoes and 5 dozen eggs. I tell you, the salad was a huge hit at the party tonight. My DH has perfected his family recipe, which contains jalapeno peppers. My south of the borders friends really like it!

Well, I better go to sleep now. I hope to do some longish running tomorrow.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Marathon Maniac #957

A Swazi is a really fast race for Opie. Since he hasn't popped in here today, I'll spill the beans and tell that he PRed in today's race. Perfect weather this morning for the race, too. He finished 4th in his AG, but really was tied for 3rd by chip time, 3rd got him by 2 seconds with gun time. I finished 3rd in my AG with a 23:54.

Well done, to both of you!

Carolyn - I would call Garmin support and ask about that.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."