Masters Running

A new beginning - 10.1.16 (Read 37 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Nice trouble-maker run yesterday, Jlynne. Did I ever tell you how I convinced a friend's son to eat broccoli with chocolate sauce?

Maybe squeeze in a little time to rest up, Aamos. You've certainly earned it! Nice 7+ that you squoze in yesterday am.

Seems like your foot behaved on your run yesterday, Evanflein. Maybe some garden cross-training will be good for it. Looking forward to seeing you with LaT, etc. next weekend! And, yeah, you ARE that tough.

I hope you and Heidi have a good run in the Alps today, Leslie.

Agreed, Lori. Sometimes, the day after a race, I think "OK, now what do I do?" But you'll get back into it.

Way to work those water wings, Holly! Great job in the pool.

Good advice, Mike. But don't tell Twocat...

Good walk/walk, RCG. Thanks for the updated on the kids. Seems they are all doing a good job of exploring and testing and pushing and figuring out life.

Good 7 miles, Enke, dirt or not. Have fun at DS's marching band competition, and good luck to his crew.

Congrats on the Prime, and on DH's birthday, WC.

As forecasted, it is raining this morning, and we even lost power for a few quick spurts. So it was a good day to sleep in. After I reset the clocks, DW and I are headed to our favorite dive for breakfast before tackling a long list of chores.

Have a greta Saturday and October! And I'm wishing fleet feet, tail winds, and big grins to all who are racing this weekend.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

It is a real rule and the NSA monitors the population for violations! Do not say you have not been warned! 

No run for me yesterday or today. Tomorrow is a HM I am running and hope to do well in it. Sort of a prep and see where I am for some marathon in a few weeks I have yet to sign up for.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Good morning everyone,

i had to get a run in early because I see a lot of football and baseball in my near future. Good stuff all day and evening.

Anyway 5.5 miles in a  drizzle (techniquely not raining) at 8:20 steady pace. It's been a monsoon here all week so I've had to squeeze the runs in on the slack moments.

Twocat,

luck on the HM tomorrow. I need to find one in November the week before Thanksgiving or the week after but they are a rare thing around here that time of year.

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Dave59

I'm hoping this is a new beginning for me. After the weird numbness I was feeling last Spring, I've seen my doctor, a neurologist, and even an ear, nose and throat doctor.  I've had an MRI, CT Scan, and had a scope shoved up my nose and down to my throat to view a "soft tissue mass" on my epiglottis.  The final verdict is that there is nothing wrong with me.

Last time I ran was a 1-mile run/walk about a month ago.  My plan was to spend a few weeks getting back in shape at the gym but this morning I got up and decided to go to a 5k.  I took it very easy at the start but it still killed me at the end.

I ran a 31:50 which is my slowest 5k ever.  My previous worst was at a 5k in Houston on July 4th 2001 when it was 90+ degrees and humid and the race was mainly on a mall parking lot.

But it felt good to be out there again.  Somehow I even came in 2nd of 6 in my age group (50-99) but I didn't stick around to pick up my trinket,

Sayhey! MM#130

Hiya!  Rabbit rabbit y'all!

Local annual 5K to raise $ for local folks with breast cancer.  Running Club presented a $5,000 check today.  The course is about 4+ miles from me so I run there.  With that, an additional mile before and a few cool down miles after, it was an easy 10.  Then I walked home, as we have a fancy (indoors, linen napkins) pancake breakfast (with bacon, for the bacon eaters).  And my race trinket was a bottle of Cupcake wine, which p'haps Erika and you other wine connoisseurs might leave behind, but DH was out riding 70 miles this am and banking on the winning of the wine.

Hiya Barb!  Glad to get the fam updates!  And I very much enjoyed All the Light.  Into Commonwealth by Ann Patchett right now.  It's quite good.

Chores for me too!

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Marathon Maniac #957

The final verdict is that there is nothing wrong with me.

Whew!  But puzzling.

A couple of years ago, I was regularly having a sensation of bugs crawling on my scalp.  We have been through a couple of incidents of DD getting lice at school in her long hair when she was in elementary school, and just the thought of it makes my head crawl, but anyway, I had two different friends on two occasions carefully go through my hair with a fine tooth comb and found nothing. My doctor's verdict?  Stress, most likely from work.  That or hormonal changes due to mid-life crap.  Anyway, it all went away after a couple of months.

Nice job on the 5k, given that you haven't been running at all.

Homecoming Dance for DD tonight, so I am busy being her beauty slave.  Since she is wearing open-toed shoes, I painted her toenails, then gave them a thin line of glitter at the edges.  Now I am charged with doing a "Waterfall Braid" followed by the curing iron.  It's a tough job, but somebody has to do it.    Kind of fun, though.

4 slow and gentle miles for me today.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #957

It is a real rule and the NSA monitors the population for violations! Do not say you have not been warned! 

I knew it!  That really IS a surveillance van down by the river!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

TammyinGP

woke up at 4:30 a.m. to our first real significant rain in months. What a great day to race!  Actually, by the time the race started at 8:00 there were only a few sprinkles and then the sun peeked out once in awhile. Nice weather for a 10K. pretty slow one though 1:06 which was 4th AG. There actually might have only been 4 in my AG come to think of it.  3rd AG was at 54 minutes so i was far off the mark.

Tammy

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

Today I overdressed during my run. I was a mess. But i got 9 miles in.

Does anyone suffer anxiety attacks?  I get them sometimes. Nothing to worry about but it did cut my run short because I just wanted to get back to the car and make sure hubby was OK (he has epilepsy but it doesn't hold him back from his sports. Just something to be aware of if over exerting himself). He was out running as well with a friend of ours. Of course he was fine. These attacks of mine are just plain annoying.

Anyway  on another and much brighter note,  the other day I  made fake ground beef. It looks just like it and tastes similar. It's made from cauliflower and walnuts and spices. Super easy. I'm not vegetarian but do try to limit my meat intake.

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Dave, it is frustrating to have symptoms and no diagnosis. I hope your health improves. Your 5K time will improve if you do, right?

Holly, Hope DD has a nice time at the dance. Is she a freshmen?

Aamos!  Way to go! Hope DH enjoys the Cupcake wine. If it tastes good, does the name matter?  Also, I like Ann Patchett. Have you read Run?

Erika!  You are running Hartford CT. In my mind, I kept thinking you all were running in MA.

Lori/Bertha, I have had anxiety issues but not a full blown panic attack. I hope you find relief. I am going to repeat myself. I have seen a lot of healthcare professionals during this summer of surgery and disease... my favorite and the one who has helped me best is my psychologist.

All y'all looking for a half or full in November. I keep telling you. Run Richmond. Now. Go sign up.

I have to go to a wedding at 3:30 on race day but, I would go cheer you on.

73F

humid

I ran 1 mile and then walked a little bit. Then I ran another mile and then walked a little bit. Then  I ran/walked another mile. So three running miles and lots of walking pieces.

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

Sadly, no Trinity Alps run.  Heidi ended up coming down with a bug, which included a fever.

Psst - don't tell 2Kitty but . . .

RAIN!  Honest to goodness RAIN this morning!!  I ran in RAIN!  It was a brief, steady downpour, but it's been so long since we've had rain, I just stopped and watched and listened and smelled for a few minutes.  Must've just been over my little section of the McKay, 'cause when I got home a couple of hours later,  The Hub said there hadn't been in any rain at the house.  But it's supposed to come in tonight, and needless to say, everyone around here is very excited.

Anyway, 10 achingly slow miles at the McKay while I continue with my low HR training.  I keep telling myself, "Patience, Grasshopper, patience," but it's hard.  I griped to Coach Gary about it, telling him I know it's going to be a huge benefit in the end, but I'm struggling with how unbelievably slow I'm having to run right now.  And I'm not even sure it qualifies as running!

Looking forward to the meet up in Portland.  I can't wait to finally meet more of you!

Okay - I have a butt load of transcription to get done between now and next Friday.  Have a great weekend, friends ~

Leslie
                        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

spinach

I got in my race for October.  Get it done right away, I may have more medical treatments that may keep me from running, so I have now 8 weeks before I will need to get in another race. The race was a trail run in Becker, I prefer running on roads but it went okay. I finished third overall, with a slower time of 23:57.  175 consecutive months with a race  now.

evanflein

Well done, Spinach! You've got an impressive streak going there and keeping it going after surgery is awesome. Yay for a good time, too!

Good choice on the sleeping in, Jay. I'm looking forward to more of that after this next trip.

Larry, I agree, a drizzle is not a "rain" so you should be ok. Good job getting the miles in.

And yah Twocat, whatever. Hey will we maybe see you this next weekend, either in Boston or in Hartford? Or are you going to play hard to get. You know, Hally/Barb is coming from Long Island to both... just sayin'.

Aamos, Barefoot Sauvignon Blanc from New Zealand is one of our favorite bargain wines!!!!! The make some other pretty good wines too, like the Shiraz and the Merlot, but some of the others are just ok. Hey, I never pass up a good wine at a bargain price!!

Holly, I sure hope your DD appreciates all you do for her. Really. I had boys, and still deal with their crap, but I sure hope she realizes how awesome it is to have a mom who does so much for her when she routinely dishes out teenage angst craps to you. Hey, if she doesn't appreciate it, just know that we all think you are an amazing mom. Really.

Tammy, good running to you and I also can't wrap my head around how hot you get there. I (like a lot of people) think of Oregon as cool and rainy. DH and I used to go to Salishan Lodge a lot for his work trips, and it seemed like it was always cold and wet, even in June!

Bertha/Lori, no anxiety attacks here, but you might want to talk to Starr about treatments and experiences. I realize all mileage may vary in this area, but it's worth comparing notes. Nice post Ultra-race run for you. Everything feeling ok?

Dave, it's hard to get the "there's nothing wrong with you" diagnosis when things still don't feel right. Hey, where are you in VA? I'll be there in a couple weeks, ya know. Roanoke and area. Let me know....

Buehre, hope all the "stuff" works out, and yeah it's Hartford CT on Saturday the 8th, then to VA for the next week. I'm still hoping we can work something out.

Wow, almost like a Jay recap. I don't usually do that. Must be taper madness. Heh.

Did a lot of work around the house, garden and yard today. Then decided to go for a run. Oy boy legs were tired from the stooping and squatting. But, managed 7.3 miles at 8:20 average pace with that last mile up the hill at 8:40. Jeez I should move to flatter terrain. Can't believe Hartford Marathon is a week from today!

Avenger Doggie

protector of my dad

Dave59, Dad is sad because he is slow. Just have fun when you go run run run. Chase a squirrel, pee on things, roll in smelly stuff and don't worry about it.

Hiya!  Rabbit rabbit y'all!

grins,

A

Post of the Day!!!

Holly, you are a very nice people and you give good belly rubs.

It took forever to get to the trails, but me and Dad went run run run and it was fun fun fun! There were chipmunks and birds all over!!!

Dad is slow slow slow and I have to wait for him lots. The best thing is that we just go!

Dad got all rexcited because he found a dead people body! That means he is a real runner. He says we found a burial mound.  He wondered about it too long and I wanted to just go.

I told him, "Let's go Dad!!!"

There is lots of places we need to go run run run still!

What ever a mile is, we went 4 of them and I saw soo happy when Dad gived me ice cream!

Sniffing Butts, Tag

Dave59

Dave, it's hard to get the "there's nothing wrong with you" diagnosis when things still don't feel right. Hey, where are you in VA? I'll be there in a couple weeks, ya know. Roanoke and area. Let me know....

I'm in Huntington, West Virginia.